BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Drink holder choices

10K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  billhorn 
#1 ·
Howdy, I have looking for a drink holder to mount on my LT. I can't justify the high cost for the one that is offered most often. Anyone know of an alternative solution?

#3 ·
I went to a boating store and bought a cup holder that has a suction cup on the bottom. It sticks right on the stingray. Now I do have to stuff some cloth under it to keep it from wobbling too much, but it works great! One thing I am considering and would like to know if anyone else has done it...is mounting water bottle holder to the front of the saddlebags. Anyone drilled them and mounted any? I'd love to see pics if anyone has.

Charles

#4 ·
I bought a liquid caddy drink holder from Bass Pro online.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_59725____SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool! :bike:

Attachments

#5 ·
I got one off the classifieds, this forum, last Christmas. The factory cup holder is ridiculously priced but it fits so perfectly and is so darn functional it is certainly worth buying one used in perfect condition! I think I paid $90 or $95 USD plus a few bucks shipping.

After having one I would never consider an alternative. Must be like those fancy aftermarkets seats or suspension systems. Ya can't know for sure...... until you try 'em.

I would recommend posting a want ad in the classifieds to see what you come up with.

BTW, If anyone is looking for the PERFECT cup for the BMW cup holder I found it last week. I got it at Starbucks, $12.95 inc. a first drink for free. It looks exactly like their flimsy one-use clear cold drink cup except it is made of hard plastic, has a screw on silicon sealed lid and is insulated by an air space. Fits the cup holder like it was engineered by "Dieter". The cup holder, cup, and modular helmet are the perfect tri-fecta for a well hydrated ride.

Loren

#6 ·
Rich, great inexpensive solution. Might want to consider a stainless steel tether. Like for the mirrors!!! :histerica:histerica:histerica

casualemt said:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_59725____SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool! :bike:

#7 ·
Loren, Don't need a tether, those suction cups hold on better than the mirrors do....just kidding, for the price of one mirror, I could fill all my luggage with cup holders. :D

#9 ·
Don't know what you have to work with but this was my cheap & dirty solution. Bought a bicycle bottle holder @ WalMart for a few bucks & had a short length of solid aluminum rod, 1/2" dia. in my junk pile. I had to turn down the bottom end in the lathe to fit in the mirror mount hole of the grip assembly, but you could do the same thing with a drill press & file. (or just a file for that matter), drilled & tapped that end for a cap bolt & washer to hold from the bottom side, then bent it in my vise, (padded w/leather) to the appropriate angle. Then drilled & tapped the side of the rod to screw the bottle holder to it. It's good enough, for who it's for, as they say.

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
I was looking at the RAM mount that mounts to the clutch master cylinder.....that you can basically attach anything to....does anyone have any experience with those?
And......has anyone mounted any type of drink holder for the passenger? I was thinking of fabbing something up to attach under an armrest?
Any ideas?

#12 ·
casualemt said:
Nice find! Thanku!

#13 ·
I use a master cylinder RAM Mount for my GPS (Brake lever side). I find it to be very stable, flexible, easily adjustable, and reasonably priced. It holds the StreetPilot III with no tendency to move around. Set it and forget it. If you've not seen a StreetPilot III they are very heavy.

I bought mine from GPS City in Las Vegas. Very good service, wide selection, and prompt delivery. When I replace the SPIII I will buy from GPS City and order a selection of RAM Mount arm lengths in order to add further flexibility to the mounting options.

Be sure to check out their Aqua Box mounts. Would be perfect for mounting an automotive GPS on your bike.

Loren

t61vance said:
I was looking at the RAM mount that mounts to the clutch master cylinder.....that you can basically attach anything to....does anyone have any experience with those?
And......has anyone mounted any type of drink holder for the passenger? I was thinking of fabbing something up to attach under an armrest?
Any ideas?

#14 ·
I have the RAM mount cup holders for both rider and passenger. The ball mount for the rider is on the clutch cover. The ball mount for tha passenger is under the right armrest. Just drilled and tapped to accept 2 bolts. Both are unobtrusive when the cup holders are not in use during daily use. Works for us.

#15 ·
I think I have an extra BMW cup holder in my parts stash in excellent condition. I'll take $95 shipped if anyone wants it. PM me and I'll start hunting for it.

#16 ·
t61vance said:
Any ideas?
I just purchased the below item with the intent of providing the wife a suitable cup holder. $41 with shipping.

The thought is, the bar clamp is in two pieces, remove one half and tap into the underside of the arm rests. I'll have to remove the padding and maybe remove some material for the screws/bolts. I'll post when I do the mod. its on the way via UPS now. I liked this version, because it removes easily. (the holder not the mount)

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks for the Bass Pro idea. I will pick one up today. Olathe is just a few miles from where I live. Thanks again, Chris Ogle

casualemt said:

#18 ·
#19 ·
Darn it! Nice research, my next one is coming from there!

#20 ·
Rob't said:
Don't know what you have to work with but this was my cheap & dirty solution. Bought a bicycle bottle holder @ WalMart for a few bucks & had a short length of solid aluminum rod, 1/2" dia. in my junk pile. I had to turn down the bottom end in the lathe to fit in the mirror mount hole of the grip assembly, but you could do the same thing with a drill press & file. (or just a file for that matter), drilled & tapped that end for a cap bolt & washer to hold from the bottom side, then bent it in my vise, (padded w/leather) to the appropriate angle. Then drilled & tapped the side of the rod to screw the bottle holder to it. It's good enough, for who it's for, as they say.
Nice, clean, solution. If I didn't already have a cup holder I'd be heading out to the garage.

#21 ·
casualemt said:
Darn it! Nice research, my next one is coming from there!
I was going to order two from BP. Asked the wife what color she wanted. She saw the $20 and said I don't think it's necessary. (tight ass!) :) So I said OK, you ain't getting one then. Wait and see, once I get mine and she sees me enjoying it, I'll be ordering another.

#24 ·
VRodPete said:
When that happens make her pay for the 2nd shipping cost. :D
:) She loves it when I threaten her like that knowing full well that it comes out of the same account. That's why I always have a little 'rat hole' money hidden. :D She & the boys know that too, but at least I'm in control of that. (well, mostly) :p

#25 · (Edited)
as promised. it took all of 30 min... :wave

With the cup holder removed, the only pcs that are left on the bike. The bolt can be removed as well and kept with the holder when the wife is not on the bike or there is no need for the holder. Just the small braket will be left.... :D

I did put it at an angle (forward) due to an issue with my wifes arm. If you mounted it (and left the bold loose) correctly it will swing. I tightened it down as not to allow movement.

(the wife does not like the twisties, so she will not be on the back when it would need to swing.... :bmw:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.