BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to drill a hole in the oddment box on an 06 LT but not sure where the safest spot is. I am trying to run a wire from the GPS to that location to plug the Zumo in the Aux plug. Is there a way to run the wire without drilling? Do I have to take the area apart or is there a safe location to drill ? I searched and found similar threads but not an exact match. Thanks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Assuming you are referring to the power cable for your GPS, I ran mine from a 12 volt outlet I created under the seat, up under the small panel below the oddments lid, then allowed enough cable to reach the GPS which I mount on top of the oddments lid by the suction cup. The power cable can run around the outside of the oddments lid in the water drain channel, then bring it out at the top R.H. side at the intersection of the panels where a small gap exists. I coil the cable and place it in the oddments box when not in use. Simply pass it over the soft rubber seal and the lids still closes fine. Works for me, and looks tidy. The power supply isn't switched though, but no big deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed a USB port and a small toogle switch. I had the string ray off my 05.
Plenty of room on the forward right side of the box.
Toogle runs LEDS in the air horns from the raditor, and USB charges the cell phone.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would recommend removing the right side fairing. After that you have good visibility in where to drill... I would not take any risks with the gas tank. But there is "plenty" of room to drill a hole for power- or other cables to oddment box.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
C-A-D said:
I would recommend removing the right side fairing. After that you have good visibility in where to drill... I would not take any risks with the gas tank. But there is "plenty" of room to drill a hole for power- or other cables to oddment box.
Be sure that you can see where you are drilling. Seems like I remember someone doing what you have asked about and ended up either patching or replacing their tank.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I already have power and a mount (which is the same mount for the BMW gps) just above the stereo controls. I was trying to get a 3.5mm audio cable to the Aux port on the Voice. I was hoping there was an easy way to get them there without removing substantial tupperware. Appears not, so off it comes. Stinks for one small wire!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You will likely find, as I have and others, that the volume of the Zumo, even at max, is very low when plugged into the aux port of the LT stereo. You may want to add a small 12v amp, boosteroo, or some other variant.

·
Premium Member
7,822 Posts
knoticalone said:
Thanks for all the replies. I already have power and a mount (which is the same mount for the BMW gps) just above the stereo controls. I was trying to get a 3.5mm audio cable to the Aux port on the Voice. I was hoping there was an easy way to get them there without removing substantial tupperware. Appears not, so off it comes. Stinks for one small wire!
I did this job just last week. It was my first time to take anything off the LT, other than the top case and plastic shelf beneath that. It's very easy, actually, and I can say with assurance that if I can do it anyone can.

I have a Zumo 665 on the factory mount, forward of the LT audio controls. I wanted to run the Zumo wiring harness' audio out cable back up to the BMW VOICE II intercom aux port. What I did was take off the left and right upper fairings, then remove all the stingray fasteners. I held the stingray up in the air while I drilled the access hole. This removes any concern about drilling into goodies beneath the stingray. I put a rubber grommet (from Radio Shack) in the hole after passing the aux cable up into the glove box.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It actually turned out to be an easy project. I appreciate all the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts