BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, the slave cylinder failed on my '99 LT requiring a clutch replacement. I had the weep hole drilled while everything was apart in at attempt to prevent having to replace the clutch again if I ever had another leak.

Since I bought my new GSA, I don't ride the LT nearly as much. But this morning, I figured I'd take it and have the yearly inspection done. While I was checking my tire pressure, I saw OIL on the garage floor under the engine! A more detailed inspection revealed a drop of engine oil accumulated on the weep hole.

It's not far to the dealer, so I went ahead and rode it in. Looks like the main seal is starting to fail. Never would have known without that weep hole. I have to replace the seal, but it was caught in time to save the clutch.

One good thing, they gave me a brand new F800S as a loaner bike. Not quite up to the LT standard, but it's a fun bike to run around on. I didn't need a loaner, just a ride home. But I'll take the opportunity. I've never ridden a bike I didn't like!

So lesson learned before and confirmed today...DRILL THAT WEEP HOLE!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
Hi Dave,
How many miles are on your LT? I assume that when you had you clutch replaced a couple of years ago that they changed out the rear main seal? How many miles were on the LT when the clutch went out?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

Off the top of my head, I think I had about 55K on the bike when the clutch was replaced. 78K right now. I've only put about 200 miles on her since last October.

I assume the seal was replaced when the clutch was done. I don't have the paperwork, and this is a different dealer. However, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. There is a reason I'm using a different dealer now. :mad:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Mike, From what I've seen, the dealers don't automatically change rear main seal when they do a clutch slave replacement. DAMHIK. If I remember correctly, almost every other thread I've read about a rear main leaking was after the dealer had it apart for a clutch slave.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dave, are you leaking from the clutch slave weep hole? Some of us also have a bellhousing weep hole to let the rear main engine seal O ring weep it's engine oil down forward of the flywheel to the bellhousing and out. LT's have run many miles with this rear main seal weep that does not make the clutch slip for thousands of miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts