BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that DOES't dress to impress when riding my LT. I've found that the majority of BMW riders have to be dressed in matching leathers, helmet, gloves ETC. Mostly Euro style. I guess it's my 35 years riding parleys, but i'm much more comfortable, in a T-shirt, Shorts, Hard toes shoes and NO HELMET, here in Fl. Don't know how people handle the heat dressed the way they are. Please no preaching on safety and all that crap.. I like to ride with 400,000 miles on Harleys, and almost 50k on BMW now. I know all about the Safety thing, but is it now turning into a Fashion Statement? Just my rant, feel free to join the conversation.
P.S. I do wear a helmet and long pants (jeans) when on long trips.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Am I the only one that DOES't dress to impress when riding my LT. I've found that the majority of BMW riders have to be dressed in matching leathers, helmet, gloves ETC. Mostly Euro style. I guess it's my 35 years riding parleys, but i'm much more comfortable, in a T-shirt, Shorts, Hard toes shoes and NO HELMET, here in Fl. Don't know how people handle the heat dressed the way they are. Please no preaching on safety and all that crap.. I like to ride with 400,000 miles on Harleys, and almost 50k on BMW now. I know all about the Safety thing, but is it now turning into a Fashion Statement? Just my rant, feel free to join the conversation.
One word comes to mind. ATGATT. If you are going to follow that principle, you might as well look good doing it as long as your good looking gear doesn't sacrifice too much protection over looks. I don't have matched gear, it is a hodge podge of things I can find to fit both my body and my wallet and all bought at different times but I wear it. Asphalt is very hard on bare skin. Just 2 weeks ago i met a guy and his wife at a cycle stop. About 10 miles down the road, I came upon them again with him failing to negotiate a turn and into the woods he went at a good clip and I could see the scrapes on the road before he hit the trees. He was expounding on how if he hadn't been wearing all that gear, he would have been much worse off. You don't need it till you actually do. I don't care how you look but if the introduction of better looking gear will make more people put it on, then I am all for the fashion show rather than the resulting freak show after a 50 yard slide in a T and shorts.

Reactions: BeemerJoe

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess what brought this to mind was the fact that it was one of the primary reasons i gave up on Harleys. I got so disolusioned with all these WANABEE Hells Angels that i wanted a change. Here near Daytona beach, 99% or Harley riders think they are Son's of Anarchy or as many of my friends call them "pirates" All have to have the leathers or vests. All have to have chains and patches of some kind. None seem to ride for the love of riding. They just seem to want to pose and look like bad asses. Don't get me wrong, i know there are many out there that love the bike for the ride, but face it, most just like being seen. I find that Beemer riders are more about riding and truly enjoying the ride. Sure, i'll stop by a bar for a quick cold one on occasion, but talk about feeling out of place!!!! lol. Never been given a hard time though. Guess i'm in the mood to rant today lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
This has always been a conundrum for me. I have a cruiser background and in the cruiser world it is MUCH more common to dress for comfort (no helmet, shorts, sneakers, etc). I remember having a conversation with some of my riding buddies that revolved around my inevitable purchase of a BMW K1200LT. A surprising number of them proceeded to tell me that once I bought the Beemer I would not want to ride with them any more (because supposedly BMW riders don't like to ride in groups) and I would have to buy a full BMW riding suit and always wear a helmet.

Well.... 7 months of LT ownership and I still love group riding and have not even thought about buying a riding suit. I must say that I do wear a helmet more than I used to, but I think that is primarily because I ride for significantly longer distances on the LT than I do on the Valkyrie.

I have never considered dressing to impress fellow riders, but to each their own. I'd like to think that most riders that religously gear up are doing it because they like always being prepared for the worst case scenario. Riding is a very personal hobby and I think most of us know we are taking on extra potential risk when we go without a helmet and, at least jeans and a jacket. I find the best compromise I can between enjoying the experience and hopefully being around to be a grandfather one day. I am starting to acknowledge that having a helmet on really doesn't decrease the riding experience much. However, I still rarely wear a helmet unless I will be ride for 2+hours. Old habits die hard.

Reactions: BeemerJoe

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My sentiments exactly. I would still ride with groups, if i could find some. But i've always been the oddball that can get on the bike and not get off it until the tank is dry..
Oh and been riding 40 years, am a Grandfather, and have never gotten used to wearing a helmet. and as i said before, i will wear one on trips where i spend a lot of time on the freeways at higher than normal speeds.
P.s to GORM5. I've actually done your Bucket list plus some. Live to ride, Ride to live brother

Reactions: gorm5

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I guess what brought this to mind was the fact that it was one of the primary reasons i gave up on Harleys. I got so disolusioned with all these WANABEE Hells Angels that i wanted a change. Here near Daytona beach, 99% or Harley riders think they are Son's of Anarchy or as many of my friends call them "pirates" All have to have the leathers or vests. All have to have chains and patches of some kind. None seem to ride for the love of riding. They just seem to want to pose and look like bad asses. Don't get me wrong, i know there are many out there that love the bike for the ride, but face it, most just like being seen. I find that Beemer riders are more about riding and truly enjoying the ride. Sure, i'll stop by a bar for a quick cold one on occasion, but talk about feeling out of place!!!! lol. Never been given a hard time though. Guess i'm in the mood to rant today lol
There are posers on both sides of that double yellow line but the ones on my side of the line are more likely to come away with less damage than the ones on your ( or their ) side should that unthinkable thing happen. Yeah, sometimes it is uncomfortable. So be it. I find that at least in the places I go, there are lots of HD riders and they almost all look as you describe and I am well received but then again, I have never walked in on a group of Hell's Angles either.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I'm a firm believer in AGATT and dress for visibility. My gear consists of a modular helmet with communications gear, a hi-viz yellow Aerostich suit, gloves, M/C boots, and ear plugs. Just came back from the Ft. Bragg ride via Highway 1 yesterday. Temperatures on the way back ranged from the mid-60's to 104. The full suit can get uncomfortable above 85, so I also wore an LDC skull cap under the helmet, and a Colorado Cool Wear hydration vest over a t-shirt and stayed very comfortable all day. This solution works in hot, lower humidity areas, but wouldn't work as well in hot, higher humidity climates - for that, I have a Veskimo cooling system that circulates ice water through a vest.

If I wanted to dress to impress, I'd probably have gotten something that matches the bike's color scheme, and skip hi-viz colors. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
In order of decreasing importance, I dress for:

1. Safety in a crash
2. Comfort in a variety of weather
3. Visibility
4. Reasonable cost

Impressing anyone other then me isn't on my list.

People who ride in street clothes without a helmet make an impression on me, but I won't share what that impression is.
>:)

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
This has always been a conundrum for me. I have a cruiser background and in the cruiser world it is MUCH more common to dress for comfort (no helmet, shorts, sneakers, etc). I remember having a conversation with some of my riding buddies that revolved around my inevitable purchase of a BMW K1200LT. A surprising number of them proceeded to tell me that once I bought the Beemer I would not want to ride with them any more (because supposedly BMW riders don't like to ride in groups) and I would have to buy a full BMW riding suit and always wear a helmet.

Well.... 7 months of LT ownership and I still love group riding and have not even thought about buying a riding suit. I must say that I do wear a helmet more than I used to, but I think that is primarily because I ride for significantly longer distances on the LT than I do on the Valkyrie.

I have never considered dressing to impress fellow riders, but to each their own. I'd like to think that most riders that religously gear up are doing it because they like always being prepared for the worst case scenario. Riding is a very personal hobby and I think most of us know we are taking on extra potential risk when we go without a helmet and, at least jeans and a jacket. I find the best compromise I can between enjoying the experience and hopefully being around to be a grandfather one day. I am starting to acknowledge that having a helmet on really doesn't decrease the riding experience much. However, I still rarely wear a helmet unless I will be ride for 2+hours. Old habits die hard.
It is funny you mention comfort. I find my riding gear much more comfortable than street gear.

Several years ago, my wife and I ride from PA to Bar Harbor with a small group of 10 or so. The first day was brutally hot, at least for this area. It was 95 when we left at 7:00 and was 100 when we stopped near Albany, NY for lunch. The temps ranged between 100 and 105 as we ride across northern Mass (route 2 if memory serves) to our stop near Boston. We didn't arrive until 7:00 PM.

We had our LT and wore full gear. We had two Wings and the rest a mix of cruisers. They all had street clothes. They all made fun of us ... until they began to suffer from the heat, sunburn, windburn, dehydration and, one I think, early heat stroke. He and his Wing just toppled over waiting at a light. When we got to the hotel that evening, my wife and I were worn out to be sure, but we were FAR better than the others.

If you are riding farther than the corner store, I believe full gear is more comfortable rather than less. Bare skin burns faster, absorbs more heat from the sun and losses moisture much more quickly. The folks who have lived in the Sahara for centuries wear full coverage clothing for a reason! So should motorcyclists.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Agreed! I wear full gear for comfort. I tried wearing a half helmet and street clothes once, it was horrible. The sun was baking on me, the wind and dirt got in my eyes. No thank you. I'll stick with the full gear. Not only does it protect you from the road, but quality gear also protects you from the environment.

I don't wear an expensive riding suit, I'm in the hodge podge gear camp. I could care less what I look like, I only care what I feel like.

·
Registered
687 Posts
(Sup Whiskey, sorry for the repeat story for you.)

OP - A couple of years ago, I went for a ride with my friend in 95+F heat. We would more than double the miles on his HD Heritage in one day. (I was on a c50.) He wore shorts, tennis shoes, a polo shirt, helmet and gloves. I wore boots, jeans with white mesh over pants, black mesh jacket over a polo shirt, gloves and a helmet with a Chilly Dana underneath. After the first 90 miles, we stopped for some gas and to get a drink - two Gatorades for him. My friend was super hot and needed to cool off in the store. He bought some sunscreen because he was already burning. My friend wasn't in good shape. Fortunately, lunch was about 60 miles away.

Wearing the gear protected from the heat and sun. This year, I got some new stuff for the heat:
White helmet (look for the youtube video of the temperature difference of a white helmet vs a black one)
Sandstone mesh jacket and pants (with additional layers in the closet), the color reflects the sun and the mesh lets air flow.
Black or Gray boots, black leather palm and finger with mesh on back of hands (hands don't burn)
The Chilly Dana is a must if riding for more than 30 minutes as it drops the felt temperature by 20+ degrees

Winter: I will switch to black mesh jacket and pants with layers installed as needed. I have several sets of gloves to choose from depending on the temperatures. So the black will attract heat from the sun to keep me warmer.

People are always surprised to hear the sandstone mesh pants are cooler over the jeans than just wearing the jeans by themselves. If on a short ride, under 25 minutes, I will skip the riding pants sometimes.

Oh, my friends have been buying mesh jackets to wear to keep cool after seeing how well I am doing after we ride. I'm am concerned about: Safety, comfort, price and then, looks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is funny you mention comfort. I find my riding gear much more comfortable than street gear.

Several years ago, my wife and I ride from PA to Bar Harbor with a small group of 10 or so. The first day was brutally hot, at least for this area. It was 95 when we left at 7:00 and was 100 when we stopped near Albany, NY for lunch. The temps ranged between 100 and 105 as we ride across northern Mass (route 2 if memory serves) to our stop near Boston. We didn't arrive until 7:00 PM.

We had our LT and wore full gear. We had two Wings and the rest a mix of cruisers. They all had street clothes. They all made fun of us ... until they began to suffer from the heat, sunburn, windburn, dehydration and, one I think, early heat stroke. He and his Wing just toppled over waiting at a light. When we got to the hotel that evening, my wife and I were worn out to be sure, but we were FAR better than the others.

If you are riding farther than the corner store, I believe full gear is more comfortable rather than less. Bare skin burns faster, absorbs more heat from the sun and losses moisture much more quickly. The folks who have lived in the Sahara for centuries wear full coverage clothing for a reason! So should motorcyclists.
Fair point. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have not even thought about getting a riding suit so I can't make a direct comparison about which is more comfortable. However, my personal comfort zone after several years of riding is jacket (weather dependent), maybe helmet, maybe jeans (weather dependent), maybe boots (weather dependent). I have heard about suits as well as long sleeve shirts that are much better in the heat than bare arms, etc. I don't doubt there are many great products that I don't use right now, but I will have to ease into that at my own pace, if at all. I'm not knocking it. Just haven't tried it. Riding is about passion for me and I usually choose to wear what feels "right" to me with the fair knowledge that it is not necessarily the best or safest attire. Tastes can change over time. I am 46 years old and just started eating bananas 2 years ago. I hated them until then. True story. :grin:

I think I will experience a bit of change when (if) the stereo on my 05 stops working. Why? Because, from my research (a lot of it on this forum) it is damn near an impossible task to replace the stereo and have a way to hook up an mp3 player or phone directly to it. And since I will not give up music, that means I will have to do a bluetooth setup. Which means I will have to wear a helmet. Domino effect.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In order of decreasing importance, I dress for:

1. Safety in a crash
2. Comfort in a variety of weather
3. Visibility
4. Reasonable cost

Impressing anyone other then me isn't on my list.

People who ride in street clothes without a helmet make an impression on me, but I won't share what that impression is.
>:)
OK, I ride in Europe so we do not get the Florida temps here.

I ride always with a minimum of helmet (European wide law so no choice), jacket, gloves, & boots. If it is too hot, then I will ride in just jeans - otherwise either a combination of jeans & rain trousers or a pair of summer riding trousers.

I totally agree with Voyagers comments, as I look at those criteria when replacing my equipment. Previous Jacket was a BMW Streetguard, now I have a Klim Badlands Hi-Vis Jacket. I love Badlands, as it has so many opening I am quite cool when I ride. We shall have to see what happens in Winter! (It does not have a thermal liner. Still one can't have everything!)

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Fair point. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have not even thought about getting a riding suit so I can't make a direct comparison about which is more comfortable. However, my personal comfort zone after several years of riding is jacket (weather dependent), maybe helmet, maybe jeans (weather dependent), maybe boots (weather dependent). I have heard about suits as well as long sleeve shirts that are much better in the heat than bare arms, etc. I don't doubt there are many great products that I don't use right now, but I will have to ease into that at my own pace, if at all. I'm not knocking it. Just haven't tried it. Riding is about passion for me and I usually choose to wear what feels "right" to me with the fair knowledge that it is not necessarily the best or safest attire. Tastes can change over time. I am 46 years old and just started eating bananas 2 years ago. I hated them until then. True story. :grin:

I think I will experience a bit of change when (if) the stereo on my 05 stops working. Why? Because, from my research (a lot of it on this forum) it is damn near an impossible task to replace the stereo and have a way to hook up an mp3 player or phone directly to it. And since I will not give up music, that means I will have to do a bluetooth setup. Which means I will have to wear a helmet. Domino effect.
Try a light colored mesh jacket and you will never go back. Mine is neon green. Goes nicely with my gray LT.
:smile:

Reactions: Whiskey and gorm5

·
Registered
165 Posts
I like to ride in the nude...during the day, of course. And go by the elementary schools early in the morning around 8:00 am or so. It is just so invigorating. >:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like to ride in the nude...during the day, of course. And go by the elementary schools early in the morning around 8:00 am or so. It is just so invigorating. >:)
hahahahahaha!!!!!

I ride SOTGMOTT Some of the gear most of the time. Always long pant, long sleeve, Helmet, boots & gloves. That's what they taught in MSF. Now most of the time I also wear a moto-specific jacket. I have three and none of them match each other or either of my bikes. Riding pants only when it's wet, cold or all day touring. Mostly cuz I'm fat and nothing fits right.

P.S. Why do so many riders wear black. I for one never wear a black shoes, a black jacket or black jeans when not riding.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is me and my old lady.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
178 Posts
hahahahahaha!!!!!

I ride SOTGMOTT Some of the gear most of the time. Always long pant, long sleeve, Helmet, boots & gloves. That's what they taught in MSF. Now most of the time I also wear a moto-specific jacket. I have three and none of them match each other or either of my bikes. Riding pants only when it's wet, cold or all day touring. Mostly cuz I'm fat and nothing fits right.

P.S. Why do so many riders wear black. I for one never wear a black shoes, a black jacket or black jeans when not riding.
Hmm. Your question makes me refer back to the original post. My jacket (attached) is black and I must admit I bought it because IMO it was the best looking one I could find that had the foam armor and sleeves that come on and off. Granted, I bought it because of how much I liked it. Not because I thought others would necessarily like it.

Voyager, I have been thinking about getting a light colored mesh jacket. I would like to see just how much of a difference there is in the heat.

Attachments

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a light colored mesh jacket and pants set, Olympia, perfect for someone taller than me, 5'08", and bigger, too.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts