BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife Vicki and I engaged to marry 24 years ago, we shared a dream that one day we would own a touring bike and spend quality time together on it. The long wait began its end a few months ago when a customer of mine with whom I had shared this dream offered me an opportunity to purchase his 2000 LT, which had only 5K miles on it (He owns 3 Harleys and chose to ride them instead of the LT because the LT "didn't make enough f'ing noise." Hah...then I'll take it, thank you. And I'll give that bike what she needs...lots of road to feast on!!!).

I've spent the past 5 or 6 weeks since I bought the bike just getting used to it. I grew up riding dirt bikes through my teen years and hadn't ridden a motorcycle between then and the purchase of my LT several weeks ago. I knew I needed some practice, not only familiarizing myself with the skill of operating a motorcycle on the road, but also in handling the top-heaviest touring bike on the planet - and I didn't want to get my bride up there behind me without some real confidence and experience.

I decided that today was the day we would ride together (rather yesterday, as I'm posting this into a new day). My wife dropped our kids (we have 5 of those critters) at a friend's and I picked her up there. Our first stop was to the local boot shop to outfit her with some riding boots...She looks great in them...Then we were off.

There were t'storms to the north of us so we just headed south and did our first 100 together. I can't express to all of you what a joy it was to see the shadow of my wife up there behind me in the setting sun, her beautiful curls blowing in the breeze behind her helmet, to feel her thighs against my back side and her dozen or so gentle hugs around my chest throughout the course of the ride, to finally be able to reach back while riding and feel her leg there...I could sense the glorious smile on her face as we rode. Our dream had finally come true. And it was far better than our dream because it was real...real engine noise, real wind, real smells and sights from the beautiful back roads we traveled upon, a great machine to take us there...and the reality is something that, God willing, will last for many more years to come...to never again be just a dream.

May the joy my wife and I shared together last evening be yours as well every time you and your SO journey together. May God bless us and keep us safe wherever our cycles take us. Thanks for reading...it's an honor and a pleasure to be part of this with all of you...

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Congradulations Bobby!
May the three of you have many wounderful miles together.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
BobbyD

Nice post. This picture (Daytona Beach some years ago....we normally wear all the gear but this was fun....) expresses some of the fun I know you've already started having. I'm at nearly 100k miles...good luck.

Is that Harmony as in north of Pit? We should do a ride in central PA one day, I know a great route around Wellsboro.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
...and the picture.....yikes...I can't seem to attach pikkies, done it plenty of times before..be right back.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Couldn't snip nothin, about brought a tear to me eye!

Congrats! get some more practice take some training if it's been that long, be carefull you have 5 kids counting on ya!
take a read of this as well

www.bikershut.net/mc_ins.htm

Tom

darkey said:
When my wife Vicki and I engaged to marry 24 years ago, we shared a dream that one day we would own a touring bike and spend quality time together on it. The long wait began its end a few months ago when a customer of mine with whom I had shared this dream offered me an opportunity to purchase his 2000 LT, which had only 5K miles on it (He owns 3 Harleys and chose to ride them instead of the LT because the LT "didn't make enough f'ing noise." Hah...then I'll take it, thank you. And I'll give that bike what she needs...lots of road to feast on!!!).

I've spent the past 5 or 6 weeks since I bought the bike just getting used to it. I grew up riding dirt bikes through my teen years and hadn't ridden a motorcycle between then and the purchase of my LT several weeks ago. I knew I needed some practice, not only familiarizing myself with the skill of operating a motorcycle on the road, but also in handling the top-heaviest touring bike on the planet - and I didn't want to get my bride up there behind me without some real confidence and experience.

I decided that today was the day we would ride together (rather yesterday, as I'm posting this into a new day). My wife dropped our kids (we have 5 of those critters) at a friend's and I picked her up there. Our first stop was to the local boot shop to outfit her with some riding boots...She looks great in them...Then we were off.

There were t'storms to the north of us so we just headed south and did our first 100 together. I can't express to all of you what a joy it was to see the shadow of my wife up there behind me in the setting sun, her beautiful curls blowing in the breeze behind her helmet, to feel her thighs against my back side and her dozen or so gentle hugs around my chest throughout the course of the ride, to finally be able to reach back while riding and feel her leg there...I could sense the glorious smile on her face as we rode. Our dream had finally come true. And it was far better than our dream because it was real...real engine noise, real wind, real smells and sights from the beautiful back roads we traveled upon, a great machine to take us there...and the reality is something that, God willing, will last for many more years to come...to never again be just a dream.

May the joy my wife and I shared together last evening be yours as well every time you and your SO journey together. May God bless us and keep us safe wherever our cycles take us. Thanks for reading...it's an honor and a pleasure to be part of this with all of you...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow!!!

A great story that most of us can relate to, and the best I can come up with is:

WOW!!!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Congrats on the bike. It is a great thing to share a ride with those you love. My wife and daughter ride with me often. My son is not ready yet, so I'm waiting patiently. Nothing like taking the daughter for ice cream 50 miles away on the bike, or taking a trip with you and the wife for a few days.

May want to consider taking a safety course, probably an Experienced rider course to quicken your confort on the bike. Many sites offer it as a "two up" class also.

Enjoy the rides. It's nice to hear stuff like this.

Rando

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Thanks for sharing those sentiments, Bob. I'm sure you will have many more such memories.

Looking forward to seeing you next month at the Tech Session.

·
Registered
46 Posts
that's what it is all about

Your note really sums up what this forum is all about - forget about the whinning - it's about the riding. And you did get the best color

·
Registered
346 Posts
How wonderful that you and your wife could make this come true. May you have miles and miles of smiles ahead of you.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
A great feeling.....................................................
Thanx for saying it...............................................
I was in my 50's when a bike passed us while in our cage and Karen and I looked at each other and....."remember when we were young and......."
We've had many adventures on our bikes....................
Death valley, Kentucky to Oregon, and this summer oregon to Maine and back...
9,000 miles.
It's a whole different ride when Karen is with me..............
We've shared some amazing times.........
See ya' out there.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
it's a dream come true. Congrats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rmg08057 said:
Is that Harmony as in north of Pit? We should do a ride in central PA one day, I know a great route around Wellsboro.
Yes, 35 miles north of Pittsburgh. I'm up for a RTE in central PA followed by a ride on that Wellsboro route. I'll PM you. Maybe some others would be willing to join us???

Hey, try sending that Daytona photo again. Love to see it. Thanks, Ralph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tmgs said:
Congrats! get some more practice take some training if it's been that long, be carefull you have 5 kids counting on ya!
take a read of this as well

www.bikershut.net/mc_ins.htm

Tom
Thanks, Tom. Good info in that link. Thankfully, I'm covered...and, yes, it's the kids who provide all the motivation needed to ensure that things like this are in order.

Took the MSF Basic Course last month as part of my prep and training and plan to take the ERC next year on the LT, possibly with my wife hanging on. Thanks to you and "rando" for suggesting this.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
darkey said:
Thanks, Tom. Good info in that link. Thankfully, I'm covered...and, yes, it's the kids who provide all the motivation needed to ensure that things like this are in order.

Took the MSF Basic Course last month as part of my prep and training and plan to take the ERC next year on the LT, possibly with my wife hanging on. Thanks to you and "rando" for suggesting this.

shoot no problem, I learned the hard way is why I wrote that, the most important probably is short term and long term dissabillity insurance

the BRC is pretty good for a beginer I'm sure you were bored through the firt excersies, but bet ya probably were reminded of a few things the sencond session, don't wait a year to take the ERC it is not that much more advanced over the BRC, in fact barely is and is not faster just a little more technical. there are better advanced courses out there than the ERC

Tom

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think it has been said... WOW!

I am sitting here at work, and missing my wife in Iraq and read this, brought a tear to my eye...ok a few of them. You are 100% correct in riding with a loved one is different than riding by yourself. You are more alert, more defensive and more offensive when you need to be. Almost safer if you will. That is the good side of it...now on the blessed side of it, she is there with you, holding you, close to you and you are enjoying and experiencing things together, or as I say... "Building Memories"

My first beemer was the K75s and still today I love that thing, but she didn't like it, I bought an RT and she wouldn't ride unless the topbox was there, always uneasy, never leaning into the curves with me. Then the K12RS, I MADE her lean into curves with me.. :D She then fell inlove with the RT. Then in Redmond Oregon at the BMWOA rally, I borrowed a guys LT and she jumped on there and immediately felt "safe" or "comfort" so, we rode it only a few miles, I never got out of 4th, and then parked it. This year she was in Iraq and has asked me on several occasions "Remember that bike we rode in Oregon?" so, I bought this one, silver, same color and same year. (all by chance) and I have got it decked out, and that is why the motivation to put everything on it before she gets home....and that she will cut up my credit cards...haha.

Darkey, what you said in the start of this thread is EXACTLY what I am hoping for. She and I have never ridden more than a couple hours together. Our schedules and daughter have never provided the opportunity. So, that is another reason for my big ride...so I can go get used to my bike and see what she can and cannot do. My wife has mentioned she wants to take the RT for a cross country ride to NC, boy will she be surprised when she sees the LT in the garage... I can't wait.

Enjoy you wife, Enjoy your bike, Enjoy your rides..
Enjoy it enough to appreciate the short lives we have and Make those "memories" and share with those 5 special blessings.

God Bless you, and your willingness to open up and we all enjoyed you sharing with us. A family.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts