BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As winter is setting here in Nova Scotia and some of the roads are already salted, I decided to stay home and got back to my drawing board (In fact this is my computer).
Here is what I did today (This will be painted on the wall of my brand new garage):

As this forum is about R bikes too, here is what I drew last year for a couple of friends to make a T-Shirt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I made this one around 2000 for a magazine contest (Black & White print so I only used greyscale)

Four markers, a pencil, a eraser, zero tools of any kind, totally freehand

is a really long process since you achieve grey scale density by adding layer upon layer, very risky too because is not turning back, I will say 15 hours of work "Coloring"

in contrast I made this one in about two hours, same thing , zero tools or aids but this time using prismacolor pencils over egress canson paper

same process, layer upon layer but you let the color of the paper provide the background of the part you are drawing, great technique you can cover massive amounts of paper with very little expenditure in materials (when you are a student, you need to think about economy of everything including motion)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is a really long process since you achieve grey scale density by adding layer upon layer, very risky too because is not turning back, I will say 15 hours of work "Coloring"
Yes about 15 hours and maybe 50 layers to do the LT. The beauty of computer is that you can delete a layer or merge few of them together. You can also set the density or transparency.
Long time ago, I was drawing with pencils, but now, I enjoyed creating designs on the computer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes about 15 hours and maybe 50 layers to do the LT. The beauty of computer is that you can delete a layer or merge few of them together. You can also set the density or transparency.
Long time ago, I was drawing with pencils, but now, I enjoyed creating designs on the computer.
Sure I use the Puter' for work specially if I need to make a injection mold of make a fast prototype on the Additive CNC, but Never EVER for pleasure, to the point I re-gifted my Cintiq 22" tablet that one of my students give me to my 8 year old daughter since she already posses a great equilibrium of the pleasures of the hand and the lack of frontiers with the computer..

Besides computers are the Ultimate "Equalizers" since anybody can provide a very similar result.

To me this is art (Not mine but I wish I was 10% as good) even if is only a "Simple"Asimetric construction..

I don't know I guess I'm really old school but I enjoy glory of a job well done, No ABS, no traction control, no extra gyroscopes, self regulating suspensions, etc, etc..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Beautiful !!!
Do you sell prints of the K1200LT and R1200RT? I would love to have 11”x14” or even 8”x10” prints framed for display on my den wall.
Thanks, Microdoc

·
Registered
345 Posts
As winter is setting here in Nova Scotia and some of the roads are already salted, I decided to stay home and got back to my drawing board (In fact this is my computer).
Here is what I did today (This will be painted on the wall of my brand new garage):

As this forum is about R bikes too, here is what I drew last year for a couple of friends to make a T-Shirt.

Those would look good on some shirts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't sell drawing!
They are free to download at 3 conditions:
They will not be used for business/profit
They will not be shared on other sites without my prior consent
My name cannot be removed from the drawing.

Just right click (on a PC) on each picture and save it. These are high resolution pictures.

I do a lot of motorcycle drawing.
This is the last one that I completed and am waiting from BMW to see if it will be accepted as an official club logo. The German are very sticky for the way you use their logo.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks, I downloaded the K1200LT and I love it even though the blue is not the same as what is on mine. :wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Drawings new ones

Here is a 2 steps drawing that took i would say 70 to 80 hours to complete.
First step was to draw the major features of the bike:

Then, playing with colors to obtain the final result:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Drawings new ones

I am working on this at the moment.
I also corrected a lot of mistakes.
I will try to replicate all the major colors.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Your beautiful drawings are a reminder of just how timeless the K1200LT design is. It's hard to believe that bike was designed over 20 years ago and yet it still looks as fresh as the day it was launched. Well done, BMW.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Your beautiful drawings are a reminder of just how timeless the K1200LT design is. It's hard to believe that bike was designed over 20 years ago and yet it still looks as fresh as the day it was launched. Well done, BMW.
I think it still looks fresher any any other touring bike and possibly any other bike made today period. Sad that BMW dropped it without doing a major revision. Can you imagine this styling with a modern engine, wet clutch, current electronics and lighter weight with some judicious use of lighter weight materials like carbon fiber? And better stock seats and some storage cubbies for the passenger and a few other such upgrades? That would make the new Wing look like an antique.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts