BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Having recently purchased a 2002 LT I decided to change all of the Oil to make sure I got of to a good start.
When draining the gearbox I had to find something to direct the old oil into a bowl, I came across a bit of roofing lead from which I cut and shaped a suitable chute for the old oil to go down.
The advantage of lead it is easy to work with and is rigid enough to be bent into a shape that will stay in place.
Not one drop of oil spilled.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good on you. The first time I changed the fluid I used a bent piece of card board,

Then I used cat litter. :histerica

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just changed mine today, wish I had read your post first. I have a whole roll of flashing lead and that would have worked great. Instead I went through a roll of paper towels and a mess on my garage floor. :(

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
In addition to all the tips and suggestions for draining fluids on your scoots, one good one that I use (kudos to my bud, Dave Moore, for the tip) is to spread one or two puppy training pads under the scoot. You can get a 12 or 24 count package of 'em at your friendly Wal-Mart. They're not gonna capture a huge amount of fluids, but will take care of small drips and spillages and keep your work area clean for the next service.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Dick said:
In addition to all the tips and suggestions for draining fluids on your scoots, one good one that I use (kudos to my bud, Dave Moore, for the tip) is to spread one or two puppy training pads under the scoot. You can get a 12 or 24 count package of 'em at your friendly Wal-Mart. They're not gonna capture a huge amount of fluids, but will take care of small drips and spillages and keep your work area clean for the next service.
Not true I dumped a full oil filter from an LT on 1 pad & it sucked it all up with plenty of room for more oil. :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
This was my solution, posted years ago, and demonstrated at CCR Santa Fe.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I just drain mine on my weeds in my driveway let it soak for a little and light it. Looks even better if you do it right at dark. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
saddleman said:
I just drain mine on my weeds in my driveway let it soak for a little and light it. Looks even better if you do it right at dark. :yeah:
Haha! Best answer yet! Nah! The others were good too, but this was the funniest! :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
saddleman said:
:worthless

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
saddleman said:
Do you have to move the bike outta the way first?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
ibbones said:
Do you have to move the bike outta the way first?
That's why I let it soak for a little bit. By the time I fill it back up and put the peg back on & ride it in the garage it's time for a fire with some thick black smoke. The next time I'm making my home made asphalt I'll take some pic's. :deal:

·
Registered
353 Posts
saddleman said:

You can build a moat to defend your castle:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
ronslaverda said:
When draining the gearbox I had to find something to direct the old oil into a bowl, I came across a bit of roofing lead from which I cut and shaped a suitable chute for the old oil to go down.
The advantage of lead it is easy to work with and is rigid enough to be bent into a shape that will stay in place.
Not one drop of oil spilled.
Missed your chance to go commercial with your idea & be a millionaire;)
http://www.formafunnel.com/index.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts