BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During recent brake/ clutch flush. I obviously ran Abs/ servo to flush wheel circuits. Well upon completion I go to start the bike.. A faint click . That's it.Hook up the charger. It charged 4 amps. I
Charge it up. Starts right up. This is the battery I had in it when I bought
It 3+ years ago. So. Question. Did servos running just take enough out
Of it to cause a issue? Or is this battery suspect and needs to be replaced? And if so. What are the recommendations?:smile::frown:

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
During recent brake/ clutch flush. I obviously ran Abs/ servo to flush wheel circuits. Well upon completion I go to start the bike.. A click.Nothing. Hook up the charger. It charged 4 amps. I
Charge it up. Starts right up. This is the battery I had in it when I bought
It 3+ years ago. So. Question. Did servos running just take enough out
Of it to cause a issue? Or is this battery suspect and needs to be replaced? And if so. What are the recommendations?:smile::frown:
More than 3 years on a lead acid battery means you are on borrowed time. However, even with a good battery, I hook my BatteryMINDer up when doing maintenance that requires battery power.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any special brand battery you like.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Any special brand battery you like.

The expensive OEM battery lasted four years. My first Shorai LiFePO4 battery lasted one year. The warranty replacement is doing OK after three years, but I won't get another lithium chemistry battery. Too many disadvantages and the only advantages (small size, light weight) really don't matter on the LT.

I will buy the cheapest lead acid battery WalMart sells and replace it every three years. I think that will be both the most reliable and least expensive option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used Battery Mart on-line 2 years ago to buy AGM batteries for a Gold Wing and one for a trail bike. Shipping was fast and they used to carry DEKA Batteries that were made in PA.

My 2007 LT has a Throttlex Battery "AD51913BS" in it, put in by the previous owner. I have never seen this brand before but the terminals are either a little to big or the PO bent the ends of the cable or something. It is a real pain trying to take the cables off I wouldn't use this brand again in an LT. My .02

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Yes the servos draw significant power and probably just ran your battery down. Watch it over the next week and see how it does. I have a volt meter on board and after I start and hold the brakes the voltage drops to 11 volts until I rev the engine up and the alternator overcomes the draw.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not my experience.
I average 10 years out of a battery.

further more, The Shorai battery in my Kawasaki is a few years old now, never charged it. always 14v + come spring.

:wave

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Not my experience.
I average 10 years out of a battery.

further more, The Shorai battery in my Kawasaki is a few years old now, never charged it. always 14v + come spring.

:wave
You really expect us to believe you average 10 years from standard lead acid batteries. That means some have lasted what 12-13 years to offset those that didn't last 10. Or do all of your batteries last exactly 10 years so that the average life is 10 years?

I bet your eyes are brown also. :histerica

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to put a VMeter on the LT. But anywhere on the facia panel by the headlight adjuster knob and BC computer is very tight on space.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I ran a Sears Diehard lawn tractor battery in my '85 K100RT for nearly 10 years. Of the two LT's, battery life has only been 3-5 years. Bought the current battery in 2012, so I won't be surprised when it dies. It seems to be fine as I have accidentally left the ignition on twice in the past month and drained it completely. It has charged right back up. I rarely use a charger but ride 50-100 miles several days a week, best way to maintain the battery IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts