BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chasing young horns at The Gap. The LT's capabilities 2 up are considerable. Overall poundage is almost twice the weight of any bike we are following in this vid. The ditch cleaner kept our speeds moderate until we got in front of them and onto a cleaner surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQ27mhdmiw

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
VERY nice riding, man. Can't quite keep up to the serious sport bikes but can blow away any pure touring bike on the market. I've riden that beatiful road many times and love it. This year did it with my wife on her own Ninja 250 and she loved it too. Great video. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Been there and it was great fun. Nice riding!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
palarimer said:
I assume this is you, only 2 up LT on the 3rd I could see...
Yes. We caught slow traffic in front of Killboy so I took the time to stretch my 59 yr ole legs. The following day I turned 60--didn't notice a big difference :dance: next time you get up that way chk out The Apple Cover Inn in Maggie Valley. We get a rm for $25-30 night. Small but clean and close to food. 60 miles to The gap and 2 miles from BlueRidge Pkwy. Anyone interested contact me before you go. I can usually get away.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nicely done! It's good to see the old girl go through her paces. Was that a door stop in the shape of a Harley that you passed @ 11:06?

2 up no less!

Loren

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not wanting to be a kill joy .... but .... is it legal there to pass on a double yellow? Seems a tad hypocritical to wear ATGATT and then take the risks you did .... but who am I to judge

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
Not wanting to be a kill joy .... but .... is it legal there to pass on a double yellow? Seems a tad hypocritical to wear ATGATT and then take the risks you did .... but who am I to judge
I am a firm believer that rules and laws are for those not smart enough to make decisions on their own. It looks to me that he was riding within his limits.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sanjaun2 said:
I am a firm believer that rules and laws are for those not smart enough to make decisions on their own. It looks to me that he was riding within his limits.
Over the years I guess I've been thru the Dragon 20+ times on my way North. I remember crossing that double solid 3 or 4 times to get around slower traffic that either wasn't watching their mirrors or didn't care and felt that everyone should be satisfied going 25mph.I could wait for them I guess but then I'd be riding home in snow. I won't do it unless I have clear line of sight. So far, by Gods Mercy, perceived abilities have not exceeded actual abilities. That could change anytime thus the armor for the unknown generated by myself or someone else. If that makes me a hypocrite, I plead guilty. Next time any of you are doing 5 over posted with your seat belt on--welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
Pleassseee....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm right there with ya Brian! If it ain't fun then why we doin it? Ride within your own known limits and do it with ATGATT because you cannot control everything around you when on two wheels.

John
sanjaun2 said:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe I should clarify my position .... not being judgmental, just think there are responsibilities to a site like this ... being famous of ATGATT, seems the group should promote safe riding ... not doubting anyones abilities and did not call anyone hypocritical ... was speaking more to site responsibility than anything else ... sorry if I offended ... I for one don't ride with ATGATT ... it's a personal choice ... Ralph Nader not withstanding ...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I ride the speed limit. Always! Not 5 over but the actual speed limit. However, I do like to get to the limit quickly! I once asked the local LEO if there were any laws pertaining to how fast one accelerates to match traffic flow when entering the freeway. No law to regulate how fast you get up to speed as long as you don't exceed the speed limit.

The double yellow line thing? Hmmmmmmmm. I have been known to pass a big butt Winnebago in the twisties when they are going 10 - 15 mph. Illegal? Oh yeah. Would I whine if I got a ticket? Nope! There are often times when it is safe to pass against a double yellow with the LT when it would not be safe to pass with a car. Is it right to do it? No, but what the heck.

I just thought of a couple times when I have exceeded the speed limit for a few moments. Passing a truck going uphill I have been known to start the pass in 2nd gear and top 100 mph by the time I got to the cab of the truck. Fun City! I do slow right back down to the speed limit!

Loren

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sweet and 2 up--pretty impressive!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you improve the suspension??? I was just missing the typical sound of the center stand in the video :D We have many roads like the Gap in the Alps. To be honest, I also like to ride in a way like you did - but when I have a look at the video, I wouldn`t do it there because it is just to busy. You never know about the riding skills of your frontrunner............

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am so unworthy.....

What was the exhaust on the girl..... sounded really quite "raspy" very pleasant.

You made the bike look very flickable.

Loved It.

Stuart :) :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Very and thanx for the post..........enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting to ride it myself..............very soooueeet............... ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts