BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m new to the LT and came off a Honda VFR. Equipped with 2 of us and boxes, I learned to corner with the bike. I’m not a track day rider and certainly not interested in dragging a knee. I’m having a problem though, it seems like every corner that has a patch or bump I hear something hit the road. I’ve been in some tight corners and have heard something dragging through a good portion of the corner. I finally concluded its my center stand.

Is anyone else seeing this? I don’t feel I’m getting down low into the corners as my wife tends to keep me slow, yet it continues. Curious.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep, sometimes. Even my boot a few times, even when I Keep my toes up.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
Check your preload on the rear shock. It should be set to place the bike in the middle of the suspension travel so you won't drag the stand. Turn the knob all the way CCW then start turning it CW if you don't feel resistance right away it may have lost the oil. Easy to fix.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've ground (on the tarmac) a good part of the corners of my centre stand off. Eventually you'll grind enough off that it doesn't hit anymore.
Just keep at it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ground (on the tarmac) a good part of the corners of my centre stand off. Eventually you'll grind enough off that it doesn't hit anymore.
Just keep at it!
Good advice, sounds like its the norm. This 2004 was bought a month ago with 5500 miles on it so I suspect this is the norm... but it’ll mess with your head as you’re rolling through the mountains on interstate at. 80 mph. 😳

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Hey all, I’m new to the LT and came off a Honda VFR. Equipped with 2 of us and boxes, I learned to corner with the bike. I’m not a track day rider and certainly not interested in dragging a knee. I’m having a problem though, it seems like every corner that has a patch or bump I hear something hit the road. I’ve been in some tight corners and have heard something dragging through a good portion of the corner. I finally concluded its my center stand.

Is anyone else seeing this? I don’t feel I’m getting down low into the corners as my wife tends to keep me slow, yet it continues. Curious.
I had the same problem with my stock suspension, especially after 50K miles. Ensuring that the preload unit is full of oil and full preload set helps some, but what really helped me was a completely new set of spring/shock units. It was a couple of grand for the Wilbers units, but it has nearly solved the two-up dragging and dragging solo now requires a really good road surface and eating one’s Wheatie’s.

A lower cost option is to replace only the springs and I think that gets you 80% of the benefit for 20-30% of the cost.

Reactions: FiniusJWhoopee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem with my stock suspension, especially after 50K miles. Ensuring that the preload unit is full of oil and full preload set helps some, but what really helped me was a completely new set of spring/shock units. It was a couple of grand for the Wilbers units, but it has nearly solved the two-up dragging and dragging solo now requires a really good road surface and eating one’s Wheatie’s.

A lower cost option is to replace only the springs and I think that gets you 80% of the benefit for 20-30% of the cost.
Interesting. I wouldn’t have known to look for springs alone but it does sound like a good option. Cost seems to be very reasonable. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have hyperpro springs over stock shocks. made it much harder to drag the centerstand after that. the purple doesnt really go with the gold of the bike but they are pretty well hidden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts