BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

I am having issues with shifting MORE THAN ONE gear down at a time. The foot shifter goes down, and doesn't return to center.
* Fluid level was slightly low, (CLEAN) replenished
* Pull lever was in position 3, went to position 1, problem temporarily solved.
* I had the shift linkage off and cleaned a few weeks ago, but I used lithium grease. (Maybe too light?)
* Original clutch, 24K miles.
* No visible leaks, or wet areas.
* Redline HEAVY Shockproof oil used in tranny.

I read that this can be strictly linkage lubrication related...I hope.
This came out of nowhere. Totally a surprise.

Any ideas?

I will post the results....

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I use white lithium grease on my linkage with no problems at all. I clean everything and pack it in so it squeezes out when I assemble it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Not sure if this would cause symptoms you describe, but when you had linkage off for service, could you possible have adjusted the length + or -?

+1 on using Li grease and packing it in. Last time I used something heavier, but only because I had the tin our for clutch/transmission reassembly.

If you need a hand, come on over or I can head your way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clairify...spray lithium grease. Not thick.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
But it was dissassembled when you spayed it correct? If not then you need to pull it apart, clean each ball and cup , then lube and re-assemble. Don't forget the belcrank pivot assy and the shift arm itself.

The return spring inside the tranny is not real strong and any drag in the linkage will prevent smooth down shifts. I have routinely done shifts from 5th to first in panic stops by just tapping the lever down, but I lift the foot completely before each tap.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
I only use the spray in tight places & you need to shake it well before use.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
But it was dissassembled when you spayed it correct? If not then you need to pull it apart, clean each ball and cup , then lube and re-assemble. Don't forget the belcrank pivot assy and the shift arm itself.

The return spring inside the tranny is not real strong and any drag in the linkage will prevent smooth down shifts. I have routinely done shifts from 5th to first in panic stops by just tapping the lever down, but I lift the foot completely before each tap.
All apart, cleaned and lubed, but I didn't change the adjustment. I will try again in the AM...
Dave, I probably didn't shake well... :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Whenever I hear of these shifting issues it relates to the problems I experienced roughly two years ago. In the high heat days of summer my tranny decided to resist finding gears which predominantly got worse; however, on the center stand and cold, it shifted by hand with no problems. To make a long story short, the linkage was concentrated on with no luck, it was the type of oil that resolved the problem and it has been buttery smooth ever since.

I agree that linkage free play and proper adjustment is important, but I would also point to what type of oil you are using to correct the problem. I needed to switch to synthetic and allow it to work it's way through for several miles before it corrected my problem.

On the same token, I would not want synthetic in the FD but I guess this can easily run into another dreaded oil thread wich is not the point, nor my intention...

Hope this helps,

Mugz

·
Registered
576 Posts
jzeiler said:
but I lift the foot completely before each tap.
Be sure this isn't what's happening, I coulda SWORN I was having mechanical shifter issues...but the only thing that fixed it was to ensure I was allowing the shift lever to return to the fully neutral position before trying to select the next gear.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE....

I disassembled the shift linkage mechanism. The long arm was dry. However, I think the problem was in the bellcrank pivot assembly mount point. I had removed it to clean it before, and I SLIGHTLY over tightened it on install. It was very stiff, and I believe the root of the issue. SHORT test ride was perfect.

To address the earlier questions.....

"In the high heat days of summer my tranny decided to resist finding gears which predominantly got worse; however, on the center stand and cold, it shifted by hand with no problems. To make a long story short, the linkage was concentrated on with no luck, it was the type of oil that resolved the problem and it has been buttery smooth ever since."
*** I already use synthetic, and it didn't shift well cold....

"Be sure this isn't what's happening, I coulda SWORN I was having mechanical shifter issues...but the only thing that fixed it was to ensure I was allowing the shift lever to return to the fully neutral position before trying to select the next gear."
*** The shift lever would not return to center. It was like a dead shift lever.

I will advise if there are any other issues!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts