BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifter won't return quickly to neutral position on my '01LT so when needing to stop quickly it's been impossible to quickly downshift. When engine/tranny is cold it works fine but after brief warmup the problem arises. From reading other threads have already tried changing to Mobil synthetic in tranny. No effect. Then cleaned/lubed linkage. No effect. Any other ideas or is going into tranny needed? Old to LT but new to site-- have learned much; thanks to all.
Sojourner
2001 Mauve

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
sojourner said:
Shifter won't return quickly to neutral position on my '01LT so when needing to stop quickly it's been impossible to quickly downshift. When engine/tranny is cold it works fine but after brief warmup the problem arises. From reading other threads have already tried changing to Mobil synthetic in tranny. No effect. Then cleaned/lubed linkage. No effect. Any other ideas or is going into tranny needed? Old to LT but new to site-- have learned much; thanks to all.
Sojourner
2001 Mauve
Hi,
Have you gone through your shift linkage to be sure the bolts are tight and the joints are lubed?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a similar problem when I installed the upgraded shift linkage. Cleaning/lubing the shift linkage and adjusting the length fixed my problem.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
At his seminar at the MOA rally, Paul Glaves said that hard downshifting is an early symptom of dry clutch splines. He also said they should be lubed (using a moly paste/moly grease mixture) every 40-55K miles.

Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts