BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 K1200LT,

When it's hot outside, 90F+, bike runs like crap, it's like the timing is retarded or something.
Will pulling the connector off of the IAT at the air cleaner help?
Or is the IAT bad?
Can it be resistance checked, and if so what is the resistance values?

Thanks in advance...Randy

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If it was a 1985 K-bike in 1985, the problem would be vapor lock from the fuel being too heated by fuel rail.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't feel like a vapor-lock problem, thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys.... Do I need a GS911 to trouble shoot?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Do you hear a wooshing sound when you open the fuel tank?
Trying to rule out a clogged canister...

·
Registered
371 Posts
When did you last do a valve check? Could have a tight one or two when heated up you lose compression

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its got 15K on the bike, do I need a valve check?

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I recall correctly, valve clearance checks are done at 12,000 mile intervals.

I believe that the resistance in the air box temp sensor should go down as the temp increases.

Perhaps You should disconnect the air box temp sensor (simulating very high resistance) & see if that improves anything. You might need a new one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll try to reach my hand up in there to release the catch.(they say it can be done):D

later..Randy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When did you last do a valve check? Could have a tight one or two when heated up you lose compression
I don't think 100f ambient temp will cause a tight valve or two.

later..Randy

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Just wondering about the easy stuff. Are you running premium gas? Over multiply tank loads? Trying to rule out bad gas. Also, at 90F+ regular gas doesn't run like crap, but more sluggish than premium.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Jer,
Yes premium gas, can only get 91 in Utah, have ran many tanks of gas, used seafoam, techron, no joy.
Changed O2 sensor no change. No Joy.

Bike runs good when cool, kinda sounds like pinging but not really when hot. IDK.

I'm thinking about my cat, not plugged up but rattling.
Maybe I'll take it off and cut it out and de-cat it.

later..Randy

·
Registered
371 Posts
Its got 15K on the bike, do I need a valve check?
Just finished a service on my 07 with 19000 kms on it. Two intake valves were tight when cold. They had zero clearance between the bucket and the cam lobe. Changed the buckets out and can feel the difference for sure. Glad I checked could have cost me burnt valves. You mention the bike runs good cold but as it warms up you lose power. As everything expands with heat you could be losing compression through a tight valve or two as she comes to operating temp. Maybe try a throttle reset incase you are not getting enough power. I don't know enough of these bikes regarding the possibility timing could have slipped or moved one way or the other. As you know when ambient temperature goes up compression goes down. So you could be looking at a combination of problems. Maybe blocked injectors, plugged air filter, sucking air somewhere in the system, dodgy spark plugs, collapsed fuel filter, o-rings in QD blocking fuel, lean mixture etc. It's going to take a system of illimination. Not knowing if these symptons came on suddenly or creeped up on you till it became noticeable. I wish you good luck in trying to decipher the problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply, Air filter, plugs, fuel filter all new.
I will check the valve lash, easy enough to do.

IDK maybe it's the nature of the beast, bought the bike in April with 12K miles on it.

My harleys would ping too under hard acceleration, never a problem with the goldwings.

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You are using premium fuel???

·
Registered
438 Posts
An "06" with only 12K miles...That's like a brand new bike!

I've never heard my LT "ping". But I won't even try to accelerate hard under 4000rpm.

Do check your valve clearance (it's due), however.... I'm betting on the air temp sensor.

Let us know how it goes, after you unplug!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Just a question for you to consider. You indicate the bike runs poorly when "hot". Does it run ok when the ambient temperature is lower, such as in the seventies? If so, this does indicate an issue with one of the engine management sensors. Also, the two basic modes of operation are open loop which is when the bike is first started and closed loop which is after the motor warms up and is taking the input from all the engine sensors and O2 sensor to determine such things as timing and fuel mix. So if it always starts and runs good until it goes into the closed loop mode, you are likely looking at one of the solid state engine sensors. Most likely culprits would be engine temperature sensor or intake air temp sensor. However, since the engine uses input from some of the sensors even in open loop mode, your O2 sensor may be bad. If it were mine, I would first check the fuel rail pressure, it should be around 51 PSI. Next two suspects would be IAT sensor and engine temp sensor.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts