BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - haven't seen this addressed before, so maybe I'm the only one, but I have a problem when it comes to downshifting. Patient is a '99 LTC and I am the original owner. Bike has been overserviced as is typical with us beemer owners. Current mileage is almost 39000.

I do not have any trouble going up thru the gears, but at least half the time, and only when downshifting from 4th or lower, the shifter doesn't want to go. So, I let the clutch out and pull it back in and then it shifts like butah.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I be worried? I don't cram down on the shifter for fear of damaging the linkage, etc, and as I've been employing this method for the last 10 years, everything still seems to work just fine. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things....

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Harmonyman said:
All - haven't seen this addressed before, so maybe I'm the only one, but I have a problem when it comes to downshifting. Patient is a '99 LTC and I am the original owner. Bike has been overserviced as is typical with us beemer owners. Current mileage is almost 39000.

I do not have any trouble going up thru the gears, but at least half the time, and only when downshifting from 4th or lower, the shifter doesn't want to go. So, I let the clutch out and pull it back in and then it shifts like butah.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I be worried? I don't cram down on the shifter for fear of damaging the linkage, etc, and as I've been employing this method for the last 10 years, everything still seems to work just fine. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things....
I haven't had problems downshifting my LT, but I do blip the throttle on downshifts to help match the engine speed to the lower gear and save wear on the clutch when it is re-engaged.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have had multiple bikes and cars that do this. My bike does it too. When coming down from speed hard on the brakes and trying to go from 5th to 1st my gears get stuck and I let the clutch out just a hair to make them "set" . I think it is normal. It is like you have to rack the gears a little into submission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw a post here with the same problem, I think the solution was to take the linkage apart cleaning and lubing the ball joints.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't have this issue on my '04 but when I shift from neutral into 1st (stopped) I have to let the clutch out a little to get it to go into 1st.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
ez_rdr55 said:
I don't have this issue on my '04 but when I shift from neutral into 1st (stopped) I have to let the clutch out a little to get it to go into 1st.
x2 on the clutch slip to get it into 1st............on the down shift; well, I actually hold the throttle steady when I bring in the clutch and just tap the shift in..........it really isn't like a double clutch but it seems to be pretty smooth...........?...........not sure if it's acceptable by the majority of the members here but it seems to work for me................ :wave

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Yes.

Like up shifting, downshifting has to go sequentially through the gears with the exception of neutral to second going up.

Best
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts