1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
And that is why the Lord made low trailers! Funny, but painful, video Paul!

John

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
never loaded one on a truck, always on a trailer....even then you do it very carefully

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Ouch, I'll never try loading a bike into a pickup with a ramp!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Loading a bike in a pickup is not the problem. It is about piss poor planning. I've loaded bikes from sportbikes to LTs and the secret is planning on what kind of ramp is needed to get the job done. The higher the bed is on the truck the longer the ramp is needed plus from what I've see there was no tailgate anchoring system on those ramps. thus why the ramp moves so much underneath them.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
blue_r6 said:
Loading a bike in a pickup is not the problem. It is about piss poor planning.
Yep . . .

A useful trick is to pull forward and put the rear wheels of the pickup in the low part of the curb, thus lowering the rear of the truck bed and reducing the angle at the top of the ramp.

Then again, I get the feeling most of these guys were way in over their heads long before they tried loading those bikes . . .

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have loaded my LT in my pickup many different times;but I always found some ditch or something to back into to make the ramp a whole lot more closer to the ground .

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
(to the guys in the videos -- )
Come on guys, ya gotts ta use a trailer... or secure the ramps, or get a wider ramp, and decrease that threshhold angle. :eek:

This should be shown at every MSF class. It would save a lot of scrapes, scratches, and broken bike bits.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I like how there are always enough guys to stand around and laugh, and even film, but never enough guys to help load the bike . . . :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
hschisler said:
...This should be shown at every MSF class. It would save a lot of scrapes, scratches, and broken bike bits.

LOL! The MSF teaches proper, safe motorcycle operation and not how to load a broken down Harley on a truck. :p

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
GaryEm said:
I have loaded my LT in my pickup many different times;but I always found some ditch or something to back into to make the ramp a whole lot more closer to the ground .

Gary
2003 K1200LT
+1. same here. the municipality of my last home didn't have storm sewers in the neighborhood, but they had a nice ditch parallel w/ the road that served nicely for such occasions. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Forget the ramp.
On the occasion where there are more than enough strong bodies standing around just lift bike and put it in the truck. This is not a DO - IT - YOURSELF joke. I think I saw one guy smoking if when the bike toppled over there was a gas spill all the cheering crowd would not be so happy. Don't try this anywhere!
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I have to disagree with the MSF idea. Somehow I doubt that any of these fellows were ever anywhere close to an MSF class.
No, I was serious. They could take 5 minutes at the end of the last day of the class and say "Oh, by the way -- here are several ways to NOT load a bike safely and efficiently."

It might save someone a lot of headaches. Or save several people one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Though very noble I would not instruct it unless requested. Seriously also when I bought my ramp there was instructions on it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have it on good authority that if you drive a Yamaha WR250R (exactly like mine) up a ramp, into the bed of a Ford F250 Superduty (exactly like mine), and kill the engine right at the top, you'll fall off the ramp, land on your elbow and bleed all over everything.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
fpmlt said:
you'll fall off the ramp, land on your elbow and bleed all over everything.
Must be Obama's fault. ;) :wave :histerica

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
:confused: To me, the most confusing thing is: These bikes appear to be running. Why do they need to go into a truck anyway??? :confused: They OBVIOUSLY don't want to go there! :mad:

;) :D :cool: :bike:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
meese said:
Must be Obama's fault. ;) :wave :histerica
Ken, you forget that I'm from Oregon. Here we have laws that protect us from having to take responsibility for our own actions. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts