BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Don’t read this crap!

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Morley 
#1 ·
One of the main reasons that I sold my Goldwing this spring and moved to the LT is the Goldwing board. When I visited the site looking for useful information, I read the negative CRAP. I thought my frame was going to crack, engine was going to overheat, and cargo doors were never going to open again. “None of that ever happened.”

The internet has changed “information-sharing” forever. You can find out more about this motorcycle “both positive and negative” in 30 minutes than you could in years by talking with others close to you. On an info-board, we can act like someone that we are not. We can, and will say things that we would never say to each other in person. We have a tendency to have or even desire our own “pity party.” This is our opportunity to vent or strike-out without any recourse what so ever. Engine-noises, lighting-failures, dead-batteries, brake issues etc. are much worse when we write them down for everyone to read. Written language seems more official or formal. If I posted that my bike sh*t bolts every time that I rode, some of you would believe it. And then you would worry that yours would pi*s bolts when you ride.

BMW owners are a little more discerning. We have a tendency to expect absolute perfection because it’s a BMW. However, my 530I and Porsche shi*ts bolts, overheats, and cracks frames as well.

It’s human nature to be narcissistic, and paranoid. A board like this is the perfect venue. Just enjoy the damn motorcycle, don’t read too much negative crap.

Dale
2005 K1200LT

PS. I taught this subject for 5 years at Valdosta State University.

See less See more
#2 ·
Uh yeah, what you said!

I had a Vstrom and the vstrom boards were full of bad news. Mine was #00086 on the first model year and had NONE of the major problems. It did have a leaky coolant hose, but that was it. So yeah, I think the 'net has more of the BAD things. It can give you a reason to NOT buy something in a heartbeat.

Coincidentally, we are making signs for a new parking deck at VSU. lol

Randy

#3 ·
I resent those remarks! My BMW has never lost a bolt.
However, it destroys tires faster than I can change them.

Now my 2008 Ducati 848 ejects fairing screws like I do singles at Mons. :histerica

All bikes have problems some are worse than others.

But I have found tha all forums seem to be filling up with whiny cry babies.

The one thing I like about this forum is for the most part the users conduct themselves professionally.

Though I am fortunate to have a worry free Beemer, there are always going to be some harping on the same issues over and over.

How is your final drive?

:eek:

#4 ·
dnifong said:
... On an info-board, we can act like someone that we are not. We can, and will say things that we would never say to each other in person. We have a tendency to have or even desire our own “pity party.” This is our opportunity to vent or strike-out without any recourse what so ever. Engine-noises, lighting-failures, dead-batteries, brake issues etc. are much worse when we write them down for everyone to read. Written language seems more official or formal.<snip>
Excellent characterization. But once you learn how to sort through all of that you get here:

dnifong said:
... The internet has changed “information-sharing” forever. You can find out more about this motorcycle <or anything> “both positive and negative” in 30 minutes than you could in years by talking with others close to you.
Which is a good thing - No? :D

#5 ·
Well.......I am certainly glad you chose to come here to have that little panty wad moment and am ever so happy you got THAT off your chest. :eek:

Did someone piss in your Wheaties this morning....or WHAT? :cool:

Now...may we all return to our regularly scheduled beyotch sessions? ;) :rotf:

#8 ·
dnifong said:
One of the main reasons that I sold my Goldwing this spring and moved to the LT is the Goldwing board. When I visited the site looking for useful information, I read the negative CRAP. I thought my frame was going to crack, engine was going to overheat, and cargo doors were never going to open again. “None of that ever happened.”

The internet has changed “information-sharing” forever. You can find out more about this motorcycle “both positive and negative” in 30 minutes than you could in years by talking with others close to you. On an info-board, we can act like someone that we are not. We can, and will say things that we would never say to each other in person. We have a tendency to have or even desire our own “pity party.” This is our opportunity to vent or strike-out without any recourse what so ever. Engine-noises, lighting-failures, dead-batteries, brake issues etc. are much worse when we write them down for everyone to read. Written language seems more official or formal. If I posted that my bike sh*t bolts every time that I rode, some of you would believe it. And then you would worry that yours would pi*s bolts when you ride.

BMW owners are a little more discerning. We have a tendency to expect absolute perfection because it’s a BMW. However, my 530I and Porsche shi*ts bolts, overheats, and cracks frames as well.

It’s human nature to be narcissistic, and paranoid. A board like this is the perfect venue. Just enjoy the damn motorcycle, don’t read too much negative crap.

Dale
2005 K1200LT

Amen brother!!! :dance: Did you catch the one about how hard it was to change the oil and where going to sell? :rolleyes: :D

#10 ·
Lonewuff said:
Well.......I am certainly glad you chose to come here to have that little panty wad moment and am ever so happy you got THAT off your chest. :eek:

Did someone piss in your Wheaties this morning....or WHAT? :cool:

Now...may we all return to our regularly scheduled beyotch sessions? ;) :rotf:

Such language I am offended, please in the future use "urinate or micturition" :D

#11 ·
It is hard to change the oil... And messy. I just met a guy today that has the same exact LT as mine and he has ALWAYS had BMW do his oil. I tried to get him to do his own... Nope.

And what about all the boots that constantly drag the ground during cornering.

Oh wait... What tire should I buy? What size? I can't get my fata$$ down to look at the sidewall.

How do I change my brake fluid?

Latest one: Should I use my central stand?

:eek:

#12 ·
gglove said:
Such language I am offended, please in the future use "urinate or micturition" :D
Oh go procreate yourself and blow it out your lower orifice!!! Damn...now I feel better....I mean "Heck Darn Shucks...now I feel better.
:histerica :rotf: :histerica

#13 ·
Yeaa, I made the same change this year from the 'Wing to the B'mer. I really do miss the in-depth, meaningful, insightful oil filter threads. By the way, does FRAM make a filter for the LT?? :histerica

#14 ·
I believe Fram does make a filter for the LT, but I hear that since the filter on the LT is in the oil pan, it gets really hot causing the paint to come off the filter, which could cause some problems. I'm not sure if that's a real concern or just something that is spread out there so people spend extra money on BMW filters.

#16 ·
joevano said:
Yeaa, I made the same change this year from the 'Wing to the B'mer. I really do miss the in-depth, meaningful, insightful oil filter threads. By the way, does FRAM make a filter for the LT?? :histerica
you forgot to mention the sure grip stuff flakes off to. Just goes to show you it isn't only the drivers that are flakey :D

#17 ·
D.Kinsey said:
Amen brother!!! :dance: Did you catch the one about how hard it was to change the oil and where going to sell? :rolleyes: :D

That's one of my all time favorites. If you're not smarter than the wrench just put it down and back away slowly.

#18 ·
dnifong said:
Just enjoy the damn motorcycle, don’t read too much negative crap.

Dale
2005 K1200LT

I was ready to sell my 02 after finding this web site. Final drive, shift linkage, gas tank collapse etc. Laughed about guys dropping there machine, how the hell do u just fall over.......until I did the same after 3 days later. Ive learned the the do's and dont's on keeping her upright thanks to this site.
LT1200 has issues and being aware of them,learning how diagnose, to possibly prevent and then repair is better then burying your head in the sand until you have a problem and no idea why or what to do,now I can "just enjoy the damn motorcycle" more then ever

#19 ·
Were your previous 79 posts as much of a waste of time as this one?

I'm sitting here wondering why Valdosta State University would have "Whining and Kvetching" courses (that you taught for 5 years)- probably graduate level - based on your post.

As it's been said by some sage, on a t-shirt, "if it has mammary glands or tires, it'll cause you problems".

I'd like to know what to look out for in order to avoid complications of those problems. I'd like to know how to fix those problems. I'd like to know how to act proactively to prevent those problems. If we don't discuss the "warts" of our vehicles, then everyone has to live through negative experiences without benefit of other's experiences.

Maybe I find it valuable because I do my own maintenance. I don't trust anyone to work on my bike - and that's been confirmed almost everytime I've had someone do some work on one.

Without these posts, we're at the mercy of a motorcycle manufacturer's or a shop's bulls**t explanations. "We've never seen a rear drive failure before" doesn't hold water when there are dozens on this site alone (me being one). That example illustrates the point of having a community that is more than just a collection of mouth-breathing, logo-wearing, brand loyalists who garner self-confidence through their brand identification, and purchases, and post self-congratulatory missives citing what they drive or ride......

Your posting is a perfect illustration of that which you complain; a whiny post that adds nothing to the site or the motorcycling experience.

I'm sure that, after you get home from a hard day of ogling co-eds and abusing TA's, you take off your leather-elbow-patched tweed jacket, put on your BMW-logo'd attire (including green hat and liederhosen), stoke up a nice meerschaum pipe, and head out to the garage to lovingly stroke wax onto the hard loins of your Teutonic Vehicle Gods whilst listening to Wagner and look longingly at travel posters of Bavaria. A nice Konigs Pilsener on the workbench to reward your exertions.

After a few hours of this, you head back into the house and sit to watch "The Sound of Music" up until the point the Nazis come to the door - you just loop it back to the beginning and watch it again. We can't have bad things ruin our experiences, can we.

And, of course, once you do have something go to hell you'll come whining to the board about how evil BMW is.....or maybe what a pleasure it is to spend more money at your dealership because of a failed component that was obviously not made by Germans. Probably made by the insidious yellow peril and substituted in the boxes during shipment to erode confidence people have in German machinery.

Bastards are trying to get back at the Teutonic Order. With help from the Masons.......

And, yes, I'd be happy to perform this verbal abuse, accompanied by plenty of laughing (and maybe a fine beer) in person. Next time I get to Georgia, I'll PM you first.

-Mark

dnifong said:

Dale
2005 K1200LT

#20 ·
Dale,

Well said and I agree. I also don't like how some people get a type of "celebrity" attitude among themselves. It's crazy.

I sold my VStrom and got my RT and people said that I'd be going down the road and my final drive was going to catch fire. :rotf: It's amazing how someone can have a problem and it gets so exploded out of proportions that it becomes legend.

Bottom line is to be honest, be real, and have humility. BMW owners are a great bunch of guys (and gals).

Cheers,
Darin

dnifong said:

Dale
2005 K1200LT

#21 ·
"It’s human nature to be narcissistic, and paranoid. A board like this is the perfect venue. Just enjoy the damn motorcycle, don’t read too much negative crap."
Uh Dale.....

You probably haven't found the radio buttons of death thread yet. Be careful. If you push two of the radio buttons in sequence (I forget which ones), the ECU is automatically erased.

It can be restored to its prior condition, but the cost involved is buying a new LT and throwing it away, except for the ECU, which should work in the LT you own.

Mike

#22 ·
Mark, You surely missed that characterization. I worked on airplanes in the Air Force for 20 years. After the service I became an ASE and I-Car certified Auto mechanic. I taught auto mechanics at the high school full time, and taught at the university part time in the vocational department :) I don’t even own a sweater with patches. I did spend 4 years in Germany and drank a lot of bear, but it was the cheap stuff. My bike is totally disassembled right now “by me” to repair a leak and to change the fuel and air filter. My 79 other posts are all maintenance or humor related.

Now, back to the original post. This is great place to share informative or constructive information about a good motorcycle. But when I am up to my elbows in brake fluid and come here to look something up. I don’t want to read a bunch of non-productive negative crap.

#23 ·
Not to be harsh but that is what the search function is for, "look something up".

And if you are in a spot, a HELP! post will get you some pretty quick answers.

Since you started this thread I have not really figured out your intent.

And while I do find the redundant questions boring, I once asked them myself.

The bitching on the inherent design flaws of the LT is justified to that owner that suffers them.

If my FD goes or I loose a clutch to a slave/main seal, you can bet I am going to post up big time!

I do agree it can overwhelm and panic a new buyer. I was ready to sell my 07 with only 3000 miles!

It still needs to be put in perspective. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing other then the records that have been kept here, and some listed on the NHTSA that are listed in very mysterious places.

Ohh and the owners that it has happened to venting and sharing here. Some have experienced FD failures 2 or MORE times.

The other function of this forum you may find useful is the ignore option, and of course, just not reading the thread works also.

dnifong said:
Mark, You surely missed that characterization. I worked on airplanes in the Air Force for 20 years. After the service I became an ASE and I-Car certified Auto mechanic. I taught auto mechanics at the high school full time, and taught at the university part time in the vocational department :) I don’t even own a sweater with patches. I did spend 4 years in Germany and drank a lot of bear, but it was the cheap stuff. My bike is totally disassembled right now “by me” to repair a leak and to change the fuel and air filter. My 79 other posts are all maintenance or humor related.

Now, back to the original post. This is great place to share informative or constructive information about a good motorcycle. But when I am up to my elbows in brake fluid and come here to look something up. I don’t want to read a bunch of non-productive negative crap.

#24 ·
ez_rdr55 said:
f you're not smarter than the wrench just put it down and back away slowly.
That's what we keep telling Lonewuff Jerry.

#26 ·
dnifong said:
I did spend 4 years in Germany and drank a lot of bear, but it was the cheap stuff.
Hmmm, I spent some time in Deutschland coutersey of my uncle (Sam) and never drank and bears, cheap or otherwise. I did however consume massive quantities of their beer, enough that when I rotated state side I became the second largest exporter of their beer.
I live just up the road from you in Falukville (west of Savannah), if you need anything just drop me a line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.