BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Dog wants a ride too

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  GlennM86 
#1 ·
Hi guys, every time we take our chihuahua out for a ride in the car he cant get enough of trying to get out the window,he loves the wind in his face. I thought he would like a ride on the LT. I just wondered if anyone else takes there dog for a ride,and if there are any dog dedicated tank bags. If anyone knows, it will be you guys

#2 ·
99ltboy said:
Hi guys, every time we take our chihuahua out for a ride in the car he cant get enough of trying to get out the window,he loves the wind in his face. I thought he would like a ride on the LT. I just wondered if anyone else takes there dog for a ride,and if there are any dog dedicated tank bags. If anyone knows, it will be you guys
I haven't taken my dog out (100lb yellow Labrador) but... I would recommend getting your pup some Doggles, (Dog Goggles) see link below. He/she would look cool, show some "bling" and have their grove on.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs.cfm/dog-goggles?gclid=CLaTn6iH4qICFRBx5QodvmqpyQ

#4 ·
Here's a shot of Bullethead sporting his doggles and his Hawaiian print shirt. I swear if he thought it might lead to some people groceries he would wear a tutu and dance in the moonlight til the cows came home!

He will wear his doggles for hours with no problems. Getting him to ride in the sidecar however has been a problem. He used to be a great car traveler but now much prefers to stay home. This started before we tried the sidecar. Need to get the Dog Whisperer on his case I guess.

Loren

Beamer007 said:
I haven't taken my dog out (100lb yellow Labrador) but... I would recommend getting your pup some Doggles, (Dog Goggles) see link below. He/she would look cool, show some "bling" and have their grove on.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs.cfm/dog-goggles?gclid=CLaTn6iH4qICFRBx5QodvmqpyQ

#7 ·
I thought the side car would be the answer, but maybe not. A friend made a box type of thing that he attaches to the pillion seat. He has a tethered harness on the dog so it can't jump out and a cover with a hole in the middle so the dog can get cover or stick his head out. The dog goes everywhere with him.

I am trying to think of ideas of how to do a similar thing as my buddy gets very upset when I take off on the bike without her. :bmw:

#8 ·
If I go out in the garage and get anywhere even close to the LT KoKo jumps up on the rear seat and starts whining. He'll be 12 next June and has about 50K on the LT.

He just did Yosemite, Big Sur and Northern Sonoma in May. :yeah:

Attachments

#9 ·
No specific product recommendations, but for set-up ideas check www.killboy.com. In each week's "highlights" section there are usually one or more photos of dogs on bikes.

Here's one from last week. In this case, it looks like the passenger is just holding the dog in her lap.

#12 ·
Is it just me or is that the UGLIEST color you could paint ANY motorcycle?

Loren

hschisler said:
No specific product recommendations, but for set-up ideas check www.killboy.com. In each week's "highlights" section there are usually one or more photos of dogs on bikes.

Here's one from last week. In this case, it looks like the passenger is just holding the dog in her lap.

#14 ·
wa1200lt said:

Loren
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you. :D

#15 ·
While out in the Adirondacks this year a guy on a BMW had like a cage on the trunk mount with a dog in it. It was a fashioned, rounded, brushed aluminum affair. I at first thought it looked cruel, but the dog was really liking it, tail wagging and looking around, hanging out.

I get torn on it as they got no chance in the worse scenario, but on the other hand, if they dig it why not.

What the heck, you, your dog, and your bike in a blaze of glory, gotta be a Country Western Song there :)

#16 ·
LAF said:
While out in the Adirondacks this year a guy on a BMW had like a cage on the trunk mount with a dog in it. It was a fashioned, rounded, brushed aluminum affair. I at first thought it looked cruel, but the dog was really liking it, tail wagging and looking around, hanging out.

I get torn on it as they got no chance in the worse scenario, but on the other hand, if they dig it why not.

What the heck, you, your dog, and your bike in a blaze of glory, gotta be a Country Western Song there :)
I did the kennel mount on the trunk rack at first and it was a serious no go. Between the wind blast (and associated noise) wind chill and high cg it was just a really, really bad idea.

Mounting on the "tank" behind the windshield is perfect. Out of the wind blast, enjoying the scenery in a very stable and secure position, and knowing that his dad is right there behind him works well for our black adopted child.

Don't even ask me how I feel about putting a dog in a trailer. :soapbox:

#17 ·
wa1200lt said:

Loren
Well, I'm on your side with this one. ;) I see that color on some cars & trucks too. Seems nobody paints anything canary yellow anymore. The old vetts, roadrunners, & camaros in the late 60's had a lot of them. That was a much better shade of yellow. IMHO.

#18 ·
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you.

Oh I beg to differ there Ed. Last year a bunch of us were on a ride to the coast, across some Forest Circus roads in the mountains. Came out to the main highway and stopped a bit to gab. I was pointed in the wrong direction, so had to make a U-turn. I looked twice, as did my wife, and fellow riders. NO ONE saw the big yellow GW until he swerved around me and kept on going. I swear, I never saw him!!! No one in our group did. I'd love to claim he was haulin' the mail, but I just can't . Hell, if i didn't see him, I've no clue how fast he was or wasn't going. It was an eye opener for me. Yes, he had all his lights on too.

#20 ·
fpmlt said:
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you.

Oh I beg to differ there Ed. Last year a bunch of us were on a ride to the coast, across some Forest Circus roads in the mountains. Came out to the main highway and stopped a bit to gab. I was pointed in the wrong direction, so had to make a U-turn. I looked twice, as did my wife, and fellow riders. NO ONE saw the big yellow GW until he swerved around me and kept on going. I swear, I never saw him!!! No one in our group did. I'd love to claim he was haulin' the mail, but I just can't . Hell, if i didn't see him, I've no clue how fast he was or wasn't going. It was an eye opener for me. Yes, he had all his lights on too.
Bet he didn't have LOUD PIPES either. :histerica

#21 ·
Dan, that looks like some kind of mid-evil torture device, some engineering though.

#22 ·
dfinazzo said:
Here you go . . .

OK Dan, how did you do it? Structurally, how much weight do you feel comfortable putting on the suspended bracket?

This looks like a great alternative to trailering, which I don't think is fair or safe for the dog.

#23 ·
RonKMiller said:
If I go out in the garage and get anywhere even close to the LT KoKo jumps up on the rear seat and starts whining. He'll be 12 next June and has about 50K on the LT.

He just did Yosemite, Big Sur and Northern Sonoma in May. :yeah:

Ron,

From the edits in the photo is appears that a strap under the stingray and a snap on the back hold the bag in place?

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks for clarifying Ron,

The RKA Shiloh tank bag for the LT has the Stingray loop as well as a 1" buckle that straps under the seat also.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A12 Instructions/k1200lt/k12ltinst.html

Very nifty system and looks like RKA is not far from making a dog carrier...just add mesh!

Also, where did you find your pet carrier? Did you add the straps or is it designed for motorcyclists?

Thanks for your patience with these questions. Moma wants to get a yorkie and start taking it with us.

#26 ·
GlennM86 said:
Thanks for clarifying Ron,

The RKA Shiloh tank bag for the LT has the Stingray loop as well as a 1" buckle that straps under the seat also.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A12%20Instructions/k1200lt/k12ltinst.html

Very nifty system and looks like RKA is not far from making a dog carrier...just add mesh!

Also, where did you find your pet carrier? Did you add the straps or is it designed for motorcyclists?

Thanks for your patience with these questions. Moma wants to get a yorkie and start taking it with us.
Bought at the Denver airport and unfortunately I can't find any brand markings on it. I did lots of mods to it including a thick vinyl cover that zips on made from convertible window material. You absolutely will need that when it gets cold or rainy. Our little pooches - with only hair for insulation instead of fur - just can't take much wind chill. He has a down vest as well. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.