BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, every time we take our chihuahua out for a ride in the car he cant get enough of trying to get out the window,he loves the wind in his face. I thought he would like a ride on the LT. I just wondered if anyone else takes there dog for a ride,and if there are any dog dedicated tank bags. If anyone knows, it will be you guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
99ltboy said:
Hi guys, every time we take our chihuahua out for a ride in the car he cant get enough of trying to get out the window,he loves the wind in his face. I thought he would like a ride on the LT. I just wondered if anyone else takes there dog for a ride,and if there are any dog dedicated tank bags. If anyone knows, it will be you guys
I haven't taken my dog out (100lb yellow Labrador) but... I would recommend getting your pup some Doggles, (Dog Goggles) see link below. He/she would look cool, show some "bling" and have their grove on.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs.cfm/dog-goggles?gclid=CLaTn6iH4qICFRBx5QodvmqpyQ

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Here's a shot of Bullethead sporting his doggles and his Hawaiian print shirt. I swear if he thought it might lead to some people groceries he would wear a tutu and dance in the moonlight til the cows came home!

He will wear his doggles for hours with no problems. Getting him to ride in the sidecar however has been a problem. He used to be a great car traveler but now much prefers to stay home. This started before we tried the sidecar. Need to get the Dog Whisperer on his case I guess.

Loren

Beamer007 said:
I haven't taken my dog out (100lb yellow Labrador) but... I would recommend getting your pup some Doggles, (Dog Goggles) see link below. He/she would look cool, show some "bling" and have their grove on.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs.cfm/dog-goggles?gclid=CLaTn6iH4qICFRBx5QodvmqpyQ

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Bugman37 said:
Would you go anywhere in that shirt???? :histerica
Great point! I hadn't thought of that. We also don't have a DOT/Snell approved helmet for him while on the bike or a booster seat for him while in the car. Suppose he listens to the safety commercials?

Hmmmm......

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I thought the side car would be the answer, but maybe not. A friend made a box type of thing that he attaches to the pillion seat. He has a tethered harness on the dog so it can't jump out and a cover with a hole in the middle so the dog can get cover or stick his head out. The dog goes everywhere with him.

I am trying to think of ideas of how to do a similar thing as my buddy gets very upset when I take off on the bike without her. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
No specific product recommendations, but for set-up ideas check www.killboy.com. In each week's "highlights" section there are usually one or more photos of dogs on bikes.

Here's one from last week. In this case, it looks like the passenger is just holding the dog in her lap.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hey Ron, your pooch pics also show a custom seat.

Where did you get that seat.....from Corbin:histerica

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Is it just me or is that the UGLIEST color you could paint ANY motorcycle?

Loren

hschisler said:
No specific product recommendations, but for set-up ideas check www.killboy.com. In each week's "highlights" section there are usually one or more photos of dogs on bikes.

Here's one from last week. In this case, it looks like the passenger is just holding the dog in her lap.

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
Actually, I kind of like it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
wa1200lt said:

Loren
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you. :D

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
While out in the Adirondacks this year a guy on a BMW had like a cage on the trunk mount with a dog in it. It was a fashioned, rounded, brushed aluminum affair. I at first thought it looked cruel, but the dog was really liking it, tail wagging and looking around, hanging out.

I get torn on it as they got no chance in the worse scenario, but on the other hand, if they dig it why not.

What the heck, you, your dog, and your bike in a blaze of glory, gotta be a Country Western Song there :)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
LAF said:
While out in the Adirondacks this year a guy on a BMW had like a cage on the trunk mount with a dog in it. It was a fashioned, rounded, brushed aluminum affair. I at first thought it looked cruel, but the dog was really liking it, tail wagging and looking around, hanging out.

I get torn on it as they got no chance in the worse scenario, but on the other hand, if they dig it why not.

What the heck, you, your dog, and your bike in a blaze of glory, gotta be a Country Western Song there :)
I did the kennel mount on the trunk rack at first and it was a serious no go. Between the wind blast (and associated noise) wind chill and high cg it was just a really, really bad idea.

Mounting on the "tank" behind the windshield is perfect. Out of the wind blast, enjoying the scenery in a very stable and secure position, and knowing that his dad is right there behind him works well for our black adopted child.

Don't even ask me how I feel about putting a dog in a trailer. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
wa1200lt said:

Loren
Well, I'm on your side with this one. ;) I see that color on some cars & trucks too. Seems nobody paints anything canary yellow anymore. The old vetts, roadrunners, & camaros in the late 60's had a lot of them. That was a much better shade of yellow. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you.

Oh I beg to differ there Ed. Last year a bunch of us were on a ride to the coast, across some Forest Circus roads in the mountains. Came out to the main highway and stopped a bit to gab. I was pointed in the wrong direction, so had to make a U-turn. I looked twice, as did my wife, and fellow riders. NO ONE saw the big yellow GW until he swerved around me and kept on going. I swear, I never saw him!!! No one in our group did. I'd love to claim he was haulin' the mail, but I just can't . Hell, if i didn't see him, I've no clue how fast he was or wasn't going. It was an eye opener for me. Yes, he had all his lights on too.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
fpmlt said:
I kind of like it also! Collateral benefit: They can't say they didn't see you.

Oh I beg to differ there Ed. Last year a bunch of us were on a ride to the coast, across some Forest Circus roads in the mountains. Came out to the main highway and stopped a bit to gab. I was pointed in the wrong direction, so had to make a U-turn. I looked twice, as did my wife, and fellow riders. NO ONE saw the big yellow GW until he swerved around me and kept on going. I swear, I never saw him!!! No one in our group did. I'd love to claim he was haulin' the mail, but I just can't . Hell, if i didn't see him, I've no clue how fast he was or wasn't going. It was an eye opener for me. Yes, he had all his lights on too.
Bet he didn't have LOUD PIPES either. :histerica

1 - 20 of 28 Posts