BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
garry_kramer said:
The bike is BlueTooth why do you need a hard wired Audio Out?

Garry
If you want to connect an autocom to the radio it will be easier because if it's anything like the new rt bluetooth system when in bluetooth mode it cuts out the new wheel and you dont have control of the volume.
You can still use the wheel to change tracks and select functions but the volume is locked out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If BMW continues to use the J&M headsets the audio volume is controled on the Bluetooth headset. It is easy and works very well.
While I was wanting a hardwired system so that I did not have to worry about charging batteries each night. I have found the Bluetooth headsets to work very well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bike:
garry_kramer said:
The bike is BlueTooth why do you need a hard wired Audio Out?

Garry
Hey Garry, here's why I want an out jack. I use in-ear monitors because
they provide superior noise reduction and extreme high-end fidelity at
low volumes compared to every other system I've tried. Although some other
"systems" don't sound too bad, they rely on high volume to overcome the
bike/road and wind noise. I simply want as few decibels as possible going
into my ears. Monitors do that, plus the sound is unbelievable...no road
noise, no wind noise, no bike noise, no helmet noise...just medium volume
with butt-kickin' low end.

The second reason is Bluetooth sucks, fidelity and frequency response cannot
compare and you still need to power the "astronaut" headgear and integration systems
Bluetooth requires.....which I couldn't care less about.

·
Registered
519 Posts
JonfromCB said:

compare and you still need to power the "astronaut" headgear and integration systems
I'm with you Jon - I too use custom fit ear plugs/monitors. Huge reduction in wind noise and no need to crank the volume. I'm hoping there will be a solution for an aux out - even if I need to plug into a bluetooth receiver.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The audio connectors in the right side fairing pocket has a USB and stereo mini earphone jack which I thought were for inputting from an ipod. This is the same setup on the 2010 RT.

Are youse saying that the stereo earphone jack next to the USB port will also output audio?

·
Registered
492 Posts
fluffy said:
The audio connectors in the right side fairing pocket has a USB and stereo mini earphone jack which I thought were for inputting from an ipod. This is the same setup on the 2010 RT.

Are youse saying that the stereo earphone jack next to the USB port will also output audio?
They are used purely for an ipod input and I would imagine so on the new bike.There is also a line out on the rt under the headstock which can be used for extra speakers or headsets.The balance and volume control of this is controlled from the menu on the radio.There is also a line in for the nav iv which I would imagine the new bike uses for the built in navigation system.

·
Registered
89 Posts
JonfromCB said:

Jon, I too use in-ear monitors (Ultimate Ears) so sound quality (and hearing retention) is important to me. I spoke to the folks at J&M and have corresponded with John about the K1600. In-ear monitors are already supported with the bluetooth connection. J&M part JBLU-AC05 is used to connect the 3.5mm jack to the bluetooth unit.

I asked about the audio quality of the bluetooth connection, which is notoriously bad in most applications. I was told that J&M that they have a higher fidelity "map" for the A2DP bluetooth connection, so the sound quality will be comparable to a wired connection. I confess I'm not an audio expert, but having played once in a symphony orchestra, my ears can certainly tell the difference between wired connections and bluetooth stereo headsets. Still skeptical but I'll know it when I hear it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sfoster said:
Jon, I too use in-ear monitors (Ultimate Ears) so sound quality (and hearing retention) is important to me. I spoke to the folks at J&M and have corresponded with John about the K1600. In-ear monitors are already supported with the bluetooth connection. J&M part JBLU-AC05 is used to connect the 3.5mm jack to the bluetooth unit.

I asked about the audio quality of the bluetooth connection, which is notoriously bad in most applications. I was told that J&M that they have a higher fidelity "map" for the A2DP bluetooth connection, so the sound quality will be comparable to a wired connection. I confess I'm not an audio expert, but having played once in a symphony orchestra, my ears can certainly tell the difference between wired connections and bluetooth stereo headsets. Still skeptical but I'll know it when I hear it.
Scott (aka P'daddy)

I hear ya'....but...there is no way transient response, amplitude and damping of an
audio signal via Bluetooth will ever match a hardwire. Works ok for microphone
and instument inputs, but once processed it's all about controling that signal
and the speaker that reproduces it.

I'll call J&M today and ask some questions about frequency response, voltage
and signal loss/gain/compression in their system.. I know what they will
tell me (how great it is), but I'm betting my left one that the numbers
don't come close to supporting the hype.

I can always just use my IPod, but I hate to pay all that money for
an expensive audio system that ends up sounding like a 1975
Zenith/Electrovox system .

There's gotta' be a way to hardwire a 3.5 jack out and have the volume controlled
by the multi-controller......otherwise it's not really a "multi-controller" it's just
another partially redundant device not thought out well by the designers that
is a good idea, but they haven't made it work yet. :cussing:
(like the big, ugly heavy outdated CB box on every LeadWing)

I thought the multi-controller was the slickest invention in motorcycle safety
and practicality for a long time, but the more I look the more I wonder why
so many functions are not integrated? Hopefully BMW has been paying
attention to feedback from the RT riders.

rant rant rant. I'll stop now. :rant:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I basically asked this same question on audio output in another thread and got little traction, so I'm glad to see it here. I am (was?) seriously considering moving from my Victory Vision to the new GTL, but the lack of an audio out would likely be a deal breaker for me. If it turns out to be true that the bike is only set up for bluetooth, IMO that is a horrible error on the part of the BMW design team. I share the serious concerns of the others here on fidelity and volume vs. wind issues. To buy a $30K bike and have to try to find work-arounds just to use the "integrated" audio system is unacceptable. It looks like they got so much right that to get this so totally wrong is beyond my understanding - assuming the bluetooth-only situation is correct. Beyond the quality is the need to carry extra gear, batteries, chargers, etc. I hope this is incorrect. Otherwise, I return to the sidelines and will wait until it's addressed. I have a very nice BMW dealer near me that I have purchased many after-market items from - possibly he will know and it's time to pay a call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jon & Ray, I agree with both of you. I had multiple discussions with Ed from EdSets about the very subject, when I owned my Goldwing. I slept through both the Electrical Engineering classes I was forced to take. As far as I know, wires contain electricity smoke. If you let the smoke out then the wire doesn't work. Any British car manufacturer knows this. :D

Anyway, I too am skeptical and will wait and see. Since there is wiring to the stock speakers, somebody would come up with a way to take the audio off them. I don't think I ever used my built in speakers on the Goldwing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
flint350 said:
I am (was?) seriously considering moving from my Victory Vision to the new GTL, but the lack of an audio out would likely be a deal breaker for me. If it turns out to be true that the bike is only set up for bluetooth, IMO that is a horrible error on the part of the BMW design team.
This bike is an evolution of the BMW GT, not a new LT or Wing. I can only speak definitively for myself (as a 1200GT rider), but I'm guessin' that the intended audience probably won't sweat the fidelity of the audio system as they bomb the canyons.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cbdane said:
This bike is an evolution of the BMW GT, not a new LT or Wing. I can only speak definitively for myself (as a 1200GT rider), but I'm guessin' that the intended audience probably won't sweat the fidelity of the audio system as they bomb the canyons.

Just sayin'...
Some of many, I agree. You can bet by the reaction/replies in this thread that
there are many of us "two weeks out at a time guys" who won't settle
for mediocre. There is a certain bliss to riding a very comfortable bike
with almost no noise while listening to your favorite music through
monitors as good as anthing you've ever heard.

Carving is fun on a 400 pound bike....on a 800 pound bike
it's more like "chopping." That's rich...tell your "track buddies"
you carve canyons on a 1600 cc 750 pound bike and see how
long it takes for them to stop laughing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JonfromCB said:
Carving is fun on a 400 pound bike....on a 800 pound bike
it's more like "chopping." That's rich...tell your "track buddies"
you carve canyons on a 1600 cc 750 pound bike and see how
long it takes for them to stop laughing.
Sorry, no track buddies here. More like Connies, ST4's, GT's. I'm the only one I know that even uses headphones. All I'm saying is that a GT is a different animal than an LT, including the person in the saddle. If you don't like the current inline-4 GT, then you'll probably not like the new GT or GTL and I'm not sure why we're having this conversation. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this is a bit off subject but, does anyone know how much the navagator IV will cost. I understand that this is an option beyond the fully loaded package. Could we get it any cheeper direct from garmin?

·
Registered
112 Posts
topsarge said:
I know this is a bit off subject but, does anyone know how much the navagator IV will cost. I understand that this is an option beyond the fully loaded package. Could we get it any cheeper direct from garmin?
Somewhere slightly south of $1000. The sad part is that it is only equivalent to the Garmin 660 which means that it doesn't have the satellite weather and traffic like the 665 (what I'm using now). The 660 is much more affordable but it (as well as the 665) won't be accessible from the left grip controls; touch screen only. I'll probably keep my 665 to begin with until I see how big of a problem that is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts