BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3K miles ride to CCR about to begin. Leaving 0-dark thirty Sunday morning for CCR via OR, WA, BC, MT, to SD. We’ll be visiting a few National Parks along the way including Jasper & Glacier. We’re planning on arriving Monday night. We may never get there if old gal doesn’t stop finding places to stop along the way so she can see and take photos. I’ve had to stop just so she could take a picture of an old falling down barn in the middle of a field before. I hope the 8 days I have allowed to get there is enough time! I’m doing the final touches to get the bike ready while my bride is stacking clothes & stuff to take with us and to ship to the Ramkota Hotel. Her stacks keep getting bigger. I’ve been reminding her we’re going on a bike and not a Hummer. If any of you see an overloaded LT in route say hello but don’t stop or I’ll try and convince you to take some of our stuff with you. Of course, we may be divorced before then. We go through this every time before a trip but by the time we leave we’ll work things out and will be all smiles. I can’t wait till we get out of the SoCal desert and the 110 degree temperatures. I’m so longing forward to riding on the coast and in the mountains. Again, thanks to the CCR staff for giving us the required excuse to do what we love – ride!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Nope It don't happen to me as I ride & she flies there. Now we do ride together while at the place we are visiting but Sammie is great at taking pictures from the back seat on the fly. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
It happens to me for a overnight. I solved it by packing a wet weather bag in one side case, a cold weather bag in the other side case and then I let her have 1/2 to 3/4 of the top bag. I then bought a bag for the rack and shoes, curling iron and what ever else she can fit goes in there. After that, she either has to wear it of carry it in her lap.

I also have a tank bag but normally electronics go in there. I always tell her she is always wearing what she can sleep in so that leaves more room for shoes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take some throw away clothes(old underwear & riped jeans) then toss out as you travel. This will reduce the load everyday day or two.

Lots of luck, hope the so don't throw you out with the cloths.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Get a trailer, that way she can carry more stuff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I learned that what works best for us is to give her 3/4 of the topcase, 1 full saddlebag and 1/2 of the other saddlebag. That way she gets to take pretty much what she wants, and she can't make comments about my limited wardrobe. There's very little space for my clothes after adding tools, spare stuff. I pretty much get everything in the tankbag and a small portion of one of the saddlebags. Fortunately, she's not very insistent about stopping en route for photo taking, but she's a shutterbug when we stop. Good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What you need is what I got. A Hannigan sidecar has enough room to carry everything--including the kitchen sink!
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
+ 1 on the Hannigan sidecar. 14 cu ft trunk. PLENTY of room for all the dainties she might need!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Doug, let's hope the "old gal" won't read your post..:eek::D
When are you leaving for your trip?
What Kathy and I do is ship clothes to CCR and only carry with us what we'll wear once there, and ship back our dirty laundry and everything we won't need during our ride back.
You may try shipping some of your stuff to MT (or somewhere halfway during your trek) if you know where you'll be staying hotel-wise...
Looking forward to seeing you, and maybe ride the last leg of the trip to SD together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts