BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FROM ANOTHER THREAD:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The real answer to your question is that the BMW CANBUS...( which is a common mis nomer) is in charge of keeping up with current draw in the circuits. Too much draw and the computer shuts down the circuit. BMW went to the CAN system to reduce the weight of all those wires that operate all circuits (except the ignition). Saves more weight than you realize. As a side note, I used to work for the company that made the CANBUS-like device that allowed the Air Force to take many miles of wire and a great deal of weight out of the B-1 Bomber.

FYI, "CAN" = Controlled Area Network.

It sounds like you have figured out the solution to your issue but just to be clear about several things...

- the BMW brand battery charger will do a fine and expensive job of charging your battery if and only if you learn how to use it.

- a "regular" trickle charger will also do the job but, and it is a big butt, you will need to either go directly the battery or even better install a fused module that connects to the battery... like a Centech or other brands. FYI, many riders who have powered accessories go ahead and install the fuse accessory. It makes your life simpler and safer.

- further FYI... I installed a fused wire and plug (powerlet) arrangement directly from the battery to the power outlet (socket) space in the tail piece on the left hand side. That gives a convenient place to plug my passenger's heated vest, and if I need to use my 12v tire pump (which I had to do on a trip) it is right there. I also plug in my trickle charger there- no CANBUS.

If so, I guess the above will also apply. If not, then disregard and I'll delete the thread...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keep in mind, though, that the CANBUS is a lot more than just the power management provided through the solid state "fusebox." It is a serial data bus system that integrates the function of much of the bike's operation, including instrument cluster, fuel injection, ABS, etc. of which electrical power control is just one module. It provides the OBDII engine management mandated by EPA. CAN is just one of a number of serial bus standards used on currently manufactured vehicles including PWM and VPW (the latter used by HD).

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only bmw bikes still using old fashioned daisy chained fuses and relays are single cylinder bikes, all others use the ZFE (german acronym) that controls various operations, making diagnosis much easier. When I hook up the GS911 into the diagnostic plug, I get to read and reset all sorts of data that I never thought would be available such as how many hours has the engine been run since new, temperature of various fluids.. etc..

I charge the battery with a battery minder plus hooked up to the battery directly, via an SAE battery tender cable.

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Yes, the K16 uses CAN-bus, as does pretty much all new BMWs. So everything reported (so far) in this thread applies.

There is a good explanation of CAN-bus technology at this link from BMWRA.org.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was surprised to see the number of fuses that were noted in the owner manual that was recently posted. Is there an advantage to having those items controlled by fuses compared to having them in the CAN-BUS?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fuses are just a safety link. Although reduntant in some cases I still would rather replace one then a wiring loom.

·
Registered
268 Posts
iride4u said:
Fuses are just a safety link. Although reduntant in some cases I still would rather replace one then a wiring loom.
yes, but the way the ZFE (german acronym for the canbus controller) network is supposed to work is that if there's a circuit fault or overload, the controller shuts the circuit down and records a fault. So for example, on the GS, if you plug in a heated jacket that exceeds the 5 amp rating of the accessory socket, the socket is shut down, no fuse to blow or replace. When you shut the bike off and start it again, if the fault has cleared the circuit is re-enabled.

So, even though this bike still has a ZFE controller, it looks like we're back to fuses. I hope someone in the know can explain why.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been trying to learn more about the CANBUS system on my new K1600GTL and was wondering if the battery charger that I have been using for my K1200LT will work?

I have the Battery Tender Plus - Advanced Battery Charger System that is designed for 12V 1.25A. It is programmed for gel batteries. I normally leave it hooked up when I'm away for a week or more and occasionally in the winter when it is cold.

Another CANABUS question has to do with hooking up a devise like a FUSE BLOCK directly to the battery for accessories. It seems like it will work, but before I do anything like that, I figured it best to ask the experts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
DanDiver said:
I have the Battery Tender Plus - Advanced Battery Charger System that is designed for 12V 1.25A. It is programmed for gel batteries. I normally leave it hooked up when I'm away for a week or more and occasionally in the winter when it is cold.

Another CANABUS question has to do with hooking up a devise like a FUSE BLOCK directly to the battery for accessories. It seems like it will work, but before I do anything like that, I figured it best to ask the experts.
The battery tender won't work if you connect it through the accessory socket, you need the fancy bmw one for that. I have an SAE battery tender lead attached to my canbus bike's battery and I plug in my battery tender plus to it after every ride. And now, over the winter, it's doing its trickle charging thing. Since the battery is easily accessible on the K16s, just add a battery tender SAE lead and plug in your battery tender directly to it.

I have a Fuzeblock hooked up straight to the battery and with a switched lead going to the license plate light so the relay built into the Fuzeblock can shut power off when the bike is switched off. I'm going to do the same thing on the GTL, but I will probably take the switched power for the relay from the accessory socket under the rider's seat, which means the relay will remain live for 1 minute after the key is turned off. With the Fuzeblock, you can deisgnate certain circuits to be live all the time, and others switched simply by moving the fuse from one side to the other.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
fluffy said:
The battery tender won't work if you connect it through the accessory socket, you need the fancy bmw one for that. I have an SAE battery tender lead attached to my canbus bike's battery and I plug in my battery tender plus to it after every ride. And now, over the winter, it's doing its trickle charging thing. Since the battery is easily accessible on the K16s, just add a battery tender SAE lead and plug in your battery tender directly to it.

I have a Fuzeblock hooked up straight to the battery and with a switched lead going to the license plate light so the relay built into the Fuzeblock can shut power off when the bike is switched off. I'm going to do the same thing on the GTL, but I will probably take the switched power for the relay from the accessory socket under the rider's seat, which means the relay will remain live for 1 minute after the key is turned off. With the Fuzeblock, you can deisgnate certain circuits to be live all the time, and others switched simply by moving the fuse from one side to the other.
Optimate makes a CANbus/ZFE compatible charger.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Fluffy/Rocky and Ponch. Answers were exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts