BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group,
I've been reading with much interest, the thread on the 07 LT redesign. I'm also ready to make the jump to the new version if it looks worthy. But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model? I wasn't riding BMW when the 1100 became the 1200 so I was curious about your thoughts.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
BMW K bikes don't have a great resale from what I have read. When a new LT comes along I doubt it will affect it much unless it seems so good that current owners switch in big numbers. It doesn't matter to me as I will be keeping my LT for a long time I expect. At least that is until my dealer gives up on BMW-I have a feeling that may not be long.
 

·
Bouncer
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
An interesting thing has happened since BMW introduced the K1200S/R and now the new GT showing up. The David Robb inspired angular designs have received very mixed views. As a result, the 02-04 K1200RS and GTs have actually had great resale values of late.

FWIW, the redesigned LT will come out as a 2008 model in late 2007.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
drifter36 said:
But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model?
Don't forget...there will be many that aren't ready to jump ship, and the older models remain desirable to that crowd. I'm not too concerned. The two things I don't even think about when buying bikes are 1) resale value, and 2) fuel economy. Then again...I'm an idiot. :)


ATFLT said:
BMW K bikes don't have a great resale from what I have read.
I respectfully disagree. I am quite satisfied with the current resale value of my '02 with near 40K on the clock.
 

·
Bouncer
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
messenger13 said:
I respectfully disagree. I am quite satisfied with the current resale value of my '02 with near 40K on the clock.
Yeah, but resale on the '02 with 3K on the clock would just suck. LOL!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
drifter36 said:
Question for the group,
I've been reading with much interest, the thread on the 07 LT redesign. I'm also ready to make the jump to the new version if it looks worthy. But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model? I wasn't riding BMW when the 1100 became the 1200 so I was curious about your thoughts.

Bob
you mean the resale would plummet even more than it does now? yikes. my wallet is still smarting from buying new in '03.

i think the size of the hit we take will hinge on how revolutionary the new LT is. if it is a major redesign then we will take a big hit on resale. check out what happened to GL1200 resale values when the GL1500 came out. i think they prolly got hit by at least 20 percent reductions.

personally, i plan to keep my LT for the foreseeable future as an escape pod for myself and the missus. it really is a great bike for that. i'll reserve my second bike for the cutting edge performance advances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
I did not buy it to resell it. I bought it to ride. When I am done wiith the bike it will be worth whatever the market will bear. It is not an investment, it is a pleasure toy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
Well, if I ever get my home sold and move to the NC/TN area I MAY be looking for another LT. If I put on a selfish/greedy hat, this could work in my favor.;)

I was very happy with the LT as it exists now, would be again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
rixchard said:
I did not buy it to resell it. I bought it to ride. When I am done wiith the bike it will be worth whatever the market will bear. It is not an investment, it is a pleasure toy

OH GRASSHOPPER, YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I only paid $6500 for a 2000 LT with 45k miles, and that was 2 years ago. The guy before me left it outside a lot, so it looks weathered, but it runs perfectly. I can't imagine that the value on mine will drop much. I plan to keep it a long time anyway. Already have 73K miles on it and no problems at all. I suspect I could sell it for the same price I paid for it. That's decent resale ;).

Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
drifter36, The price on the current model ie; 05-06 will hold up fine, as the as the 01-04's have. There are allot of people who are waiting for some 05's to hit the used market, plus there probably are allot like me who are not interested in the new model as we prefer the smoothness of the current motor as to the buzziness of the the new motor..Its minor but was there in the demo K/S at my dealers... As has been stated already, some of us are not interested in a change...........Regards Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
petepeterson said:
drifter36, The price on the current model ie; 05-06 will hold up fine, as the as the 01-04's have. There are allot of people who are waiting for some 05's to hit the used market, plus there probably are allot like me who are not interested in the new model as we prefer the smoothness of the current motor as to the buzziness of the the new motor..Its minor but was there in the demo K/S at my dealers... As has been stated already, some of us are not interested in a change...........Regards Pete
hey pete ... i hate to tell you this but my '03 has depreciated by more than 50 percent since i bought it new. i reckon it lost a good 25 percent the moment i rolled it out of the showroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
sale and resale

A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
:bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Johnfischer23 said:
A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
:bmw:
as long as you don't buy one new ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
Johnfischer23 said:
A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
:bmw:
Yeah, but then you would be stuck with a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even a KIA Rio, and STILL not have an LT! :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I can't actually believe some people are upset at the depreciation of a motorcycle. What?! Is this thing supposed to APPRECIATE! And how does one put a value on the enjoyment out of a bike? A K1200LT none-the-less.

I paid $18,900 for my '02 @ 0.9% interest, and I'm still happy as a clam with it. And approx. 24 months from now, I'll be signing on the same dotted line for ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE!

Some of you guys just might want to bail out now while the gettin's good and go buy yourself a Wing, or a Harley! Fricken POSERS!!! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Geesh Joe... stub your toe?

I care about re-sale value too Joe... don't hate me. :)

Playing devil's advocate:
No joke... I change bikes a lot because I love them so much; I'm curious you see and that's part of the hobby for me.

Motorcycles are kinda like women, I want to try so many of them out but my wife says "no"... so I do the next best thing and become a bike whore. :D I've had approximately 16 bikes in less then 3 years. The LT is the best of the bunch in most ways, but I would have never known that unless I tried a few out before landing on it. I've tried as many internet forums as well and this one is the best so far too.

messenger13 said:
I can't actually believe some people are upset at the depreciation of a motorcycle. What?! Is this thing supposed to APPRECIATE! And how does one put a value on the enjoyment out of a bike? A K1200LT none-the-less.

I paid $18,900 for my '02 @ 0.9% interest, and I'm still happy as a clam with it. And approx. 24 months from now, I'll be signing on the same dotted line for ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE!

Some of you guys just might want to bail out now while the gettin's good and go buy yourself a Wing, or a Harley! Fricken POSERS!!! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Nope...no toe-stubbing here. You just have to realize that there's a price to pay for your hobby. As for the LT's horrific depreciation...I just don't see it. My '02 is worth . . . er . . . maybe 10 to 11K today. That's more than 50% of what I paid. Go price any other 2002 bike out there. I'll betcha they're worth 50% or less than what the original selling price was in 2002. Especially if they have any miles on them at all. And that's another variable that this crowd soon forgets. Face it Beemer boys. We RIDE the snot out of these things compared to most other bikes. And when a vehicle has miles on the clock, it depreciates. It's as simple as that.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top