BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered because the guys (and gals?) with anti-lock brakes on the LT talk about a whurring noise they hear when the key is on. I don't seem to have that. I've looked on the internet and can't seem to find the answer. I've never locked up the wheels so I'm not sure, partly because I wasn't comfortable doing this with a "heavy" bike. Sorry if this is a dumb question but if it isn't what year did they start putting them on? Just the facts please. Thanks. :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,096 Posts
The whirring noise is the self check on the power assisted Integral brake (late 2001 up). You have ABS but not power assisted and not linked front to rear. Your system will modulate the braking force when a wheel begins to lock up. Some think it is a better system as it still has the "feel" of the earlier motorcycles, and it it is less complicated to flush the brake fluid on it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Welcome to our site Don! And what John failed to tell you is that you really do have the best of both worlds with the early generation LT: ABS brakes as well as the quiet of no servo running! He did mention the the other plus: Much simpler brake bleeding or flushing.

You do know we are having a great get together in Boise next August, right? If not, check it out here:
http://www.curvecowboyreunion.com/CCR2011/index.php

It really is a great chance to learn everything about the LT as well as make some lifelong friends!

John

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
After I got my 00 LT, I found a nice straight road with no traffic and tried standing on the rear brake way past the point my gut said was OK. Then I did the same thing with the front while using the rear brake, way, way, way past the point my gut said was safe. If you don't feel the modulation kicking in, you have to keep trying.

I wanted to teach my self that I could just grab the brakes when I needed to.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
AND, every time I change the front and rear brake fluid, every winter, I feel lucky that I bought an 00.

Have you changed the defective design starter relay yet?

Bob

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I am among those who think the early brake system is the best. Anti-lock, no power assist, no linking.
I test the ABS frequently, I generally do it on dirt or gravel rather than pavement, but you can do it anywhere, just start with slow speeds.

I still have the original starter relay in my 2000. No problems. Just keep the battery charged. And if you ever find the bike cranking slowly due to a low battery, don't keep trying that's when the starter relay freezes. As long as the bike starts right up it is always good, if the bike labors to crank and doesn't start right up, don't keep cranking, charge or replace the battery.
If it does freeze, there is a way to unstick it without taking the bike apart.

And if you are motived to change the starter relay, there is a simple way to add a Ford truck fender mount starter relay which cost a fraction of the BMW replacement starter and is easier to install.

These methods can be found on this board.

Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
929 Posts
+1 on the non integrated brakes...when you change out your brakepads and you scrub them in you will no doubt kick in the ABS system. It's good to know its there.

Also, you might want to check out the hall of wisdom on this sight...alot of great info there as well. Welcome on board and have a great time with your LT.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't you have the double flashing yellow lights on the dash that go out once you start moving? Do you hear a noise like a metallic click a couple of times when you let out the clutch? If you don't have any of that stuff going on, then maybe someone has disabled the ABS system. I am sure from reading this site that on the earlier bikes if the abs system fails, the brakes still work.... :confused:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes they will work after ABS unit failure . The servo / power brakes of the newer bikes is AWESOME bar none , but damm weak with key off , no more key off rolling into a parking spot , maybe one last time .

Bob G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts