BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
You will need the High GT put on the bike at the very least. Better then that would be to have the stock seat rebuilt by one of the many custom seat makers to fit your needs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am the same height as you...but don't know what your inseam is.

Mine is 34. So my legs are longer than most but not for my height; most of my height comes from a long torso.

Having said that, I had the GTL high (or comfort) seat originally. I was OK on that. I could definitely have used some more leg room, but it wasn't any worse than pretty much everywhere I sit in my life - desk chair, dining tables, car, etc.

After about 6K on the bike, I got a Russell seat. I asked them to raise me up a couple of inches, and that has made a big improvement for me, both butt-wise and leg-wise. It was such an improvement that I decided to forgo adding highway pegs. I eventually did get some, but with the new seat it was definitely a "nice-to-have" and not a real requirement.

At your weight, you very well may find that you'll need a custom seat anyway, as the stock seat's padding may not be enough for you. There are a lot of good makers out there; I have to recommend Russell, as I couldn't be happier with mine.

Everything else fits fine. The Navigator mount was definitely made for longer torsos. I think the shorter guys have a lot more trouble with glare than I do, as I can look at it more square-on, since it tilts upward a bit.

Bottom line for me: I am extremely comfortable on the bike. My daily mileage range is longer than on any other bike I've owned.

·
Registered
616 Posts
jimbullitt said:
I just checked out the Russell website..What did your seat cost?
:cool:
Sorry, must've missed this...

Mine ruined $1,000. But know that there are a ton of choices that can easily double the price. I got leather inserts, a rebuilt (not just recovered passenger seat), and a recovered backrest and "bump". There is an extra charge for heavy duty suspension; one of our two is heavy duty and my wife would kill me if I told you which one. There is an extra charge for retaining the seat heating on our bike (which of course you will want to do). They also add a charge for ride-in service, but that ends up being a wash because you save the shipping cost.

So you'll need to go over the option list on the web and then with them over the phone to be sure what your choices are and what you'll have to pay.

As I said (and Ken echoed)...the best money I've spent on the bike. It has made a world of difference. I've actually been planning an IBA SaddleSore...never even considered one in the past.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've heard nothing but good about Russell. I find myself hesitant only because I can't do a ride-in to get fitted. I tried the picture thing with Rick Mayer for a seat with my LT and was very disappointed for a number of reasons I won't go into; just won't go there again. Therefore, my question: Can Russell do a decent job via photos and supplied data without a ride-in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts