BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just performed removal of cannister; the bike now seems to have a hesitation off the line and sometimes when rolling on in an gear.
Would this be the result of the cannister removel? or is it realted to heat or something else?
At least the gas float problem was fixed.
Any help always appreciated
Thanks
Joel

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
starky said:
Just performed removal of cannister; the bike now seems to have a hesitation off the line and sometimes when rolling on in an gear.
Would this be the result of the cannister removel? or is it realted to heat or something else?
At least the gas float problem was fixed.
Any help always appreciated
Thanks
Joel
Howdy Joel,

Have you also "cut the brown wire"?

The low speed hesitation, especially disconcerting when cornering slowly, the "brown wire" is the most likely culprit and not the canisterectomy.

As part of the canisterectomy, if you did not completely plug the return line, I'm not sure what your symptoms would be like.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brown Wire

THanks Billy Omaha:

I saaw the yellow cat code but didn't do anything with it. I'll go back in and remove it and see what happens.
Also, I pluged the smaller hose that was connected to the cannister and runs up the left side of the bike by twisting in a machine screw as far as it would go and then wrapping some electircal tape around the seal area.
Do you think that should be enough?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
starky said:
THanks Billy Omaha:

I saaw the yellow cat code but didn't do anything with it. I'll go back in and remove it and see what happens.
Also, I pluged the smaller hose that was connected to the cannister and runs up the left side of the bike by twisting in a machine screw as far as it would go and then wrapping some electircal tape around the seal area.
Do you think that should be enough?
DO NOT remove the cat code plug if your Motronic is not the updated one. The updated ones were not introduced until 7/00 manufacture date, early 2001 model year bikes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe I'm being oversensitive

Just came back from a ride and the hesitation seemed to be non-existent or so small that it didn't matter.
Maybe because the mis day heat was gone, only between 79 - 81 degrees.
I'd still like to know about the motronic mapping version so I guess I'll take it to the dealer and see what readings he gets.
THanks
JS

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
David,
I have a 2000 and I bought it used. There is nothing hooked up to my yellow plug. Should there be? And what is it not doing for me missing?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Your question ? NO
Before severing the brown wire, When you sense the hesitation WICK the throttle on this my alleviate the condition. If not get the Rhine west chip this will help reduce the hesitation and markedly improve performance.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
David,
I have a 2000 and I bought it used. There is nothing hooked up to my yellow plug. Should there be? And what is it not doing for me missing?
Is it the yellow plug under the top box on the rear right that looks like a relay? There should be two wires going to the socket that the plug is in.

It should not be unplugged on a 2000 bike unless the Motronic was updated. Many were. Your dealer has to hook the bike up to the Moditec to check the model number on it.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Thanks David, I'll check with the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts