BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It is on the end of a battery charger/maintainer pigtail. It is already on the bike, so if someone could give me a heads-up on the brand, then I have one less thing on the to-do list for my K-LT.

I have several Battery Tender brand units sitting around, as that's what I've always used, and what I have my other bikes hooked up to, but this is different.

Thanks in advance for any help. Apologies if I posted this is an incorrect subforum; the most topical subforum for this question hasn't seen any activity since last July.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It is on the end of a battery charger/maintainer pigtail. It is already on the bike, so if someone could give me a heads-up on the brand, then I have one less thing on the to-do list for my K-LT.

I have several Battery Tender brand units sitting around, as that's what I've always used, and what I have my other bikes hooked up to, but this is different.

Thanks in advance for any help. Apologies if I posted this is an incorrect subforum; the most topical subforum for this question hasn't seen any activity since last July.
SAE, if you search via Google you can find info, pics etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SAE, if you search via Google you can find info, pics etc.
Thanks, but that's not it.

An SAE plug (which is what the Battery Tender brand uses) will mate up with it, but if you notice this plug has one male, and two females. There's an extra wire of some sort, with the second female port.

·
Registered
698 Posts

An SAE plug (which is what the Battery Tender brand uses) will mate up with it, but if you notice this plug has one male, and two females. There's an extra wire of some sort, with the second female port.
Sorry I didn't notice the extra 3 female hole. Have you used a multi meter to check how that 3rd wire is hooked up, power/grnd?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hello fellow ICT rider. Where did you get your LT from? I traveled to TX to get mine... was a trade in at the Ducati dealership. The guys there were super nice - the owner is a former professional racer. I would get so many tickets if I was on one of the Ducatis from the showroom. I am ready to hit the road this weekend with temps in the 60s.

The wire is definitely meant to hook up with a trickle charger. Which charger I'm not sure as the third hole make it interesting. If the wires are only attached to + and - on the battery, my guess is the third hole is for some kind of lock.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

I do not see an extra wire in your photo, just a small extra hole. Maybe a retention/locking hole for the cap or other device?

If the pigtail goes directly to the battery terminal, and if the two wires that correspond to the SAE connector go to their proper respective terminals, then I see no reason to not simply use this as an SAE connection point for your Battery Tender. Don't like this solution? remove the plug from the battery and add a "normal" battery-side SAE pigtail.

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
82 Posts

Is there a tab on the inside of the cover that lines up to help keep the cover in place?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I did some searching on your behalf and found the exact same plug on (Dare I say it 🤐 ) the HD FORUMS all asking the same question. Apparently it is a WTF is this for outlet. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does that third spot actually have a contact in it? To me it looks like the common SAE with a locking tab. My view of the wiring looks like only two leads.
Sorry I didn't notice the extra 3 female hole. Have you used a multi meter to check how that 3rd wire is hooked up, power/grnd?
I looks like it's from the Optimate charger. I had one myself for my Vespa, works fine! Only that thirth hole issue...

Optimate 3+ Plus - Mymotor.nl
I do not see an extra wire in your photo, just a small extra hole. Maybe a retention/locking hole for the cap or other device?
Is there a tab on the inside of the cover that lines up to help keep the cover in place?
I did some searching on your behalf and found the exact same plug on (Dare I say it 🤐 ) the HD FORUMS all asking the same question. Apparently it is a WTF is this for outlet. 😂😂😂
Thanks guys!

It appears it is just some sort of a proprietary plug latch, as some of you guessed. What the point of that is, I don't know. Having battery maintainer wires running around the garage, I would prefer the plug be a weak link to prevent trips, or worse, a trip plus pulling the charger from its perch and onto the nice, shiny painted surface of a bike or a car.

Seems to work fine with the normal SAE plug that my Battery Tender brand maintainers use, but I wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello fellow ICT rider. Where did you get your LT from? I traveled to TX to get mine... was a trade in at the Ducati dealership. The guys there were super nice - the owner is a former professional racer. I would get so many tickets if I was on one of the Ducatis from the showroom. I am ready to hit the road this weekend with temps in the 60s.

The wire is definitely meant to hook up with a trickle charger. Which charger I'm not sure as the third hole make it interesting. If the wires are only attached to + and - on the battery, my guess is the third hole is for some kind of lock.
Hi gj,

Got the LT from a private seller outside of Springfield, MO. Went out there and back this past July, one rather long, extended evening.

Sounds like you might have bought from AMS Ducati in DFW, owned by Jeff Nash. I used to own a Duc 748 (ugh, how I miss that thing), and they are quite a resource in that segment. Great dealer.

My wife and I might hop on the Teutonic pig (meant endearingly) this weekend as well. Can't pass up 60's in January. If we were retired, or could otherwise drop everything at a moments notice, it would be a fantastic weekend for a Eureka Springs/Ozarks trip, ironically in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi gj,

Got the LT from a private seller outside of Springfield, MO. Went out there and back this past July, one rather long, extended evening.

Sounds like you might have bought from AMS Ducati in DFW, owned by Jeff Nash. I used to own a Duc 748 (ugh, how I miss that thing), and they are quite a resource in that segment. Great dealer.

My wife and I might hop on the Teutonic pig (meant endearingly) this weekend as well. Can't pass up 60's in January. If we were retired, or could otherwise drop everything at a moments notice, it would be a fantastic weekend for a Eureka Springs/Ozarks trip, ironically in the dead of winter.
Yep, Jeff Nash is the man. He was great to work with but didn't really want a BMW mucking up the shiny new and beautiful Ducatis. If I was in the market for a Ducati, I would go see him without a second thought.

That sounds like a great weekend trip. But, I go to Africa on Saturday. Too bad I can't take the bike with me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's a battery charger (trickle) connector. Used by Battery Tender and even Walmart brands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts