BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the rear brake disc has so much side to side movement as compared to the front? I've developed a resonant "hum" recently approaching a stop when using the rear. I'm fairly convinced that my source are the guidebolts that secure the disc. Moving them side to side, I can duplicate the tone I'm hearing. Looking at the front floaters, I see they have wave washers on both sides to create a bit of tension. This makes sense to me, allows them to float but takes up freeplay.
It's ironic that it started after the rear drive was rebuilt. I originally thought the disc/pads may have been contaminated with oil, took everything apart and cleaned well to no avail. The only thing different know is I no longer have wheel play as a result of the rebuild. I've read the threads about brake squeals and cow bells, but honestly have never experienced until now--03 w/ 50,000.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
The rotors float. As the bike gets older the washers that hold the disk wear and make some noise. It won't affect brake performance but it is annoying...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts