BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my LT the other day I found this under the passenger seat just laying there. It plugs onto the diagnostic plug but there is already a cover on it, that looks similar but it doesn't have the two connectors in it. Could this be a cover off of a GS911? I do not have one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
That looks like the original diagnostic cover plug I have on my LT and if I recall, mine has the connections in it but what they do, I have no idea. Does the cap on your diagnostic port also have BMW stamped on it? Possibly it was swapped and forgotten by a PO who did use a 911 or other diagnostic device by a shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the cap currently on my diagnostic port also has BMW stamped into it. However it is black without any electric connections in it. I had the bike to the dealer for a brake flush last year and haven't had it apart since. But I was thinking the GS911 should have the same connection as this plug, so this cap would be the wrong gender plug to cap it. Correct?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
The cap with the pins is the original diagnostics cap. I suspect the tech miss placed it and just grabbed another one to put on the port. I have not checked to see if those pins are shorted or have a resistor between them - but I believe not. Since your bike runs fine with out them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm not sue I understand your response. Which cap belongs on my bike. The black one with no electrical connections, or the grey one pictured.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
The grey one with the connector pins is the correct one. I just cannot attest to the function of the cap pins but every LT I have worked on had the grey cap. From your picture I see pins 4 and 5 stamped on the cap. On the diagnostics plug pin 4 is a ground and pin 5 is not connected so it just probably does not matter. In fact I just checked mine and one of the pins goes into an empty hole.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So that's where I left it!
I've been searching everywhere for my cap.:smile:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh... Thanks for your input, jzeiler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts