BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Fall, I became a member of this August Society when I even-up traded my ZX14 Ninja for a beautiful, albeit high-mileage, 2003 LT. Owing to the vintage and travels of the bike, and the fact that she runs beautifully and leaks nothing, I'm going to presume that the PO encountered most, if not all, of the 'issues' that these bikes have--including final drive, clutch and clutch slave, engine seals and the rest--and had them repaired. I have the service booklet, and note that the PO was meticulous in having inspections and work performed at the purchasing dealer.......until it apparently went out of business. The questions is: does BMW keep a database of major work performed on any particular bike--assuming, of course that the dealer reports such things to the factory? You know: kinda like a Carfax for bikes. If so, has anyone ever accessed this information?

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Bradley,
I think you can go to any current BMW dealer and have them plug in your VIN and all service performed at any dealer will be displayed. [Check with Darwin at Sills. If he gives you any guff, tell him I sent you :) ]

Others will correct me if I'm in error. :bmw:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll do that. Bought her from BMWMOC in Aurora, but the salesman wasn't very forthcoming. I'm transferring my service business to Sills. It's closer anyway.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Thanks. I'll do that. Bought her from BMWMOC in Aurora, but the salesman wasn't very forthcoming. I'm transferring my service business to Sills. It's closer anyway.

Good choice. ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am sorry to inform you that as of 2 years ago, when I worked in a dealer service department, there is no master database of service performed on a BMW bike at dealers or anywhere else. Only a dealer who has performed the work has that information. There is no nationwide network on service like the BMW autos have. There is a master file of recall work performed. There might even be a database of warranty work performed, but of that, I am not sure.

If things have changed in the last two years, I have not heard about it.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What? WHAT??!! See, there you go. The day was humming along just fine...and now you hadda go pee on my campfire. ;)

Pity....

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Dragonwing said:
. . .for a beautiful, albeit high-mileage, 2003 LT. Owing to the vintage and travels of the bike, and the fact that she runs beautifully and leaks nothing, I'm going to presume that the PO encountered most, if not all, of the 'issues' that these bikes have--including final drive, clutch and clutch slave, engine seals and the rest--and had them repaired. . .
Let us review some of your "stipulations".

What do you consider "high mileage"?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
116K. I ain't afraid of no stinkin' mileage.....

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Dragonwing said:
116K. I ain't afraid of no stinkin' mileage.....
BRAVO!

From the MOA RALLY in WI a few years ago. It was a K75 "Flying Brick"

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the mileage equation for that bike: 401K + (Whatever the add-on number actually is below that) = Oh my!!

Though you really have to wonder what small percentage of the original bike the owner is actually riding after all those miles. Hmmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Here's the mileage equation for that bike: 401K + (Whatever the add-on number actually is below that) = Oh my!!

Though you really have to wonder what small percentage of the original bike the owner is actually riding after all those miles. Hmmmmmm.
Enlarged the original . . . 226,388 miles
The speedo probably went kaput! :histerica

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PMitchell said:
The speedo probably went kaput! :histerica
I'm sure it did. Looking over at the tach face, he has 55 mph indicated at 4K rpm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Perhaps you could contact the previous owner-look through the papers and manuals, and the PO was willing to give me a rundown of the car's history.

Regards,

Will

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Naw. Selling dealer pretty much redacted all traces of the PO....under the guise of 'privacy.' I'll have to find a back-door method to get this info. I'm cooking up something.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts