BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran the bike almost 1900 miles this weekend from vancouver b.c. across the rockies to alberta around there for a day & back. bike worked perfect no oil consumption & no issues. ran alot of fairly high speed cruzing around 85 mph bike averaged around 42 mpg it was mostly mountian highways.
but one section about 160 miles it was very cold around 37 degres about 90 mph milage droped to 32 mpg, any ideas why the drop most of the trip was around 53 degrees.(p.s.gonna buy some heated gear in next couple weeks Brrrr lol)

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Not an Iron Butt Run until you submit the paper work! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bob, I don't know of any IB category that covers week-end rides but 1900 miles certainly qualifies as a GREAT ride with lots of therapudic value :D The cooler temps should make your bike run better but the 5 mph increase in speed, in this range, will drop the mileage drastically. I have owned 4 "K" bike to include 2 K1200LT's and my mileage has typically dropped drastically above 80 mph. You can learn more about the IB rides at www.ironbutt.com.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I was younger [mid 30's] riding to get to a woman's house....I rode from seattle to lawrence, ks pretty much non stop [about 2000 miles] on my honda cx500 in about 34 hours...but an iron butt only in my mind. To qualify for the ib, documentation is required.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went to the iron butt site nope dosent meet requirements i did some visiting bumped the time out of rules(darn beer & sleep lol) as for milage when ridden around 70 mph milage is much better around 47mpg. but she suprised me how well & stable it was around 100mph

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bob, Before you begin your first documented IB ride I highly recommend you buy the heated gear. I bought my first Gerbing's heated clothing 15 years ago, and my winter (cold weather) riding hasn't been the same since. I actually prefer riding in cold weather now vs the heat of summer in the south. With a dual thermost control for your jacket liner and gloves you can ride for hours in comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts