BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Dark Blue; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
145 Posts
I'm not an iron butt guy nor am I anal about the cleanliness of my bike while touring. I like clean screen, gages, seat and mirrors in the morning...when feasible. I'll clean off the headlight too, especially if bugs are thick on there...but I don't spend hours getting everything pristine every day. I have stories...

Oh...I have a disc lock. Used it once. They're heavy! Nearly rode off with it still on the bike. If you're parking overnight in a place creepy enough to really be worried, you should park somewhere else. If you park outside, lock the steering. In Europe, insurance won't pay if bike gets stolen and steering was not locked. It's pretty simple. Just do it.

If you find a motel before 5PM and it's really hot and sunny, a cover can be nice....so can the shady side of the building or the canopy front entrance of the motel.

An advantage of a cheezy full-coverage bike cover is that it makes an expensive bike look less precious to the curious or larcenous.

I always leave bags on the bike at motels and just carry liners in....on a cart. I take my GPS and tank bag off and either take them in or lock them in side bags. I take my helmet in and clean it.

I pack rain gear outside of my bag liner in right side bag. I keep tools outside the liner in my left side bag. Liners only have clothes and doppkit.

13" Laptop goes in a midget soft case with one pocket. I keep cords and a charger in the pocket. That goes in my small top case. I put spare rags under it. If weather is variable, I put a BMW waterproof liner in top case for quick extra warmth or for minor rain protection. These are also nice for going to dinner after things cool down.

Remove the BMW liner snaps that fasten it to your riding suit...useless! Just put the liner on first, then the riding jacket. If it looks bad, I put full rain gear on...real rain jacket and pants. These things are really pretty warm and very compact.

Always use a solid state hard drive on bike trip laptops. I love macbook pro because they're built like tanks...but it's never really been an issue...I worry over any disc type hard drive on the road. I did a 3000 mile trip with one and nothing bad happened...but I really babied it.

My pillion seat gets camping gear if that's on the docket. Since dropping my sleeping bag off the bike 2 years ago (bungees) and nearly again 1.5 years ago, I use 50 liter bag(s) with strap fasteners and fasten them down with Roc-straps.

Covering the bike keeps it dry...but dew can be your friend if you arrive near sunset and want to clean your bike in the morning. It's already wet! Just wipe down lightly with motel-provided rags. Most will give you some if you ask. Don't use motel towels for bike cleaning....big no-no.

Anyone going on tour and worrying about a little mark on their windscreen isn't riding enough. Windscreens get real dirty all the time. Clean in the morning with plenty of water. Have a screen that gives still air while you can see over it. I have an aftermarket screen. I bought it very soon after my new bike...The stock screen is really pretty and sitting in the garage...about the only way to keep them nice.

I got clear plastic stuff on the painted surfaces of one of my RTs.. It cost a lot! Bugs stuck to it the same as the paint and it scratched easier than paint...so now I use synthetic spray clear coat protector from Sonax. It really works but make sure your paint is pristinely clean before using it. It will seal in any bugs or goop on your paint. Lasts a year on my bike. Water beads and bugs don't stick as well.

:alien:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to use a full cover and a wheel lock almost all the time. Lately I've gone to a 1/2 cover to save space and that's about all I need for the purpose. Ideally it will keep any overnight rain or morning dew off the bike and keep anyone from trying to sit on your bike or fiddle with things. The wheel lock I use has an alarm that discourages people from messing around with it or if they start trying to take the cover off. Neither will discourage the professional, I've set off my alarm or my buddies have done the same and people don't come running to see what's going on, but in a hotel parking lot most don't want to draw attention to themselves if they are messing with your bike.

At work I try and use a 1/2 cover (silver) to mainly keep the sun off when I commute to work. I have an extra 1/2 cover I store at work just for this purpose.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm not an iron butt guy nor am I anal about the cleanliness of my bike while touring. I like clean screen, gages, seat and mirrors in the morning...when feasible. I'll clean off the headlight too, especially if bugs are thick on there...but I don't spend hours getting everything pristine every day. I have stories...

Oh...I have a disc lock. Used it once. They're heavy! Nearly rode off with it still on the bike. If you're parking overnight in a place creepy enough to really be worried, you should park somewhere else. If you park outside, lock the steering. In Europe, insurance won't pay if bike gets stolen and steering was not locked. It's pretty simple. Just do it.

If you find a motel before 5PM and it's really hot and sunny, a cover can be nice....so can the shady side of the building or the canopy front entrance of the motel.

An advantage of a cheezy full-coverage bike cover is that it makes an expensive bike look less precious to the curious or larcenous.

I always leave bags on the bike at motels and just carry liners in....on a cart. I take my GPS and tank bag off and either take them in or lock them in side bags. I take my helmet in and clean it.

I pack rain gear outside of my bag liner in right side bag. I keep tools outside the liner in my left side bag. Liners only have clothes and doppkit.

13" Laptop goes in a midget soft case with one pocket. I keep cords and a charger in the pocket. That goes in my small top case. I put spare rags under it. If weather is variable, I put a BMW waterproof liner in top case for quick extra warmth or for minor rain protection. These are also nice for going to dinner after things cool down.

Remove the BMW liner snaps that fasten it to your riding suit...useless! Just put the liner on first, then the riding jacket. If it looks bad, I put full rain gear on...real rain jacket and pants. These things are really pretty warm and very compact.

Always use a solid state hard drive on bike trip laptops. I love macbook pro because they're built like tanks...but it's never really been an issue...I worry over any disc type hard drive on the road. I did a 3000 mile trip with one and nothing bad happened...but I really babied it.

My pillion seat gets camping gear if that's on the docket. Since dropping my sleeping bag off the bike 2 years ago (bungees) and nearly again 1.5 years ago, I use 50 liter bag(s) with strap fasteners and fasten them down with Roc-straps.

Covering the bike keeps it dry...but dew can be your friend if you arrive near sunset and want to clean your bike in the morning. It's already wet! Just wipe down lightly with motel-provided rags. Most will give you some if you ask. Don't use motel towels for bike cleaning....big no-no.

Anyone going on tour and worrying about a little mark on their windscreen isn't riding enough. Windscreens get real dirty all the time. Clean in the morning with plenty of water. Have a screen that gives still air while you can see over it. I have an aftermarket screen. I bought it very soon after my new bike...The stock screen is really pretty and sitting in the garage...about the only way to keep them nice.

I got clear plastic stuff on the painted surfaces of one of my RTs.. It cost a lot! Bugs stuck to it the same as the paint and it scratched easier than paint...so now I use synthetic spray clear coat protector from Sonax. It really works but make sure your paint is pristinely clean before using it. It will seal in any bugs or goop on your paint. Lasts a year on my bike. Water beads and bugs don't stick as well.

:alien:
Thanks for the packing information too - I like the way you sequence out your packing bags vs. bag-liners. I have the bag liners too - always unsure where to pack tools and bike specific odds & ends vs. trip clothing & gear.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts