BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a multi-day "out-west" trip this June through the Black Hills, into Wyoming & beyond this Summer from the midwest. The thought crossed my mind to bring a bike cover for over-nights, for both weather protection & maybe soft-security for overnight parking at motels & hotels. Do you bother covering your steed at night and if you bother with other soft-security items like disk locks? This is my first multi-day trip with a newish '19 RT so, I'm feeling somewhat protective. Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
180 Posts
I have used a "mini" cover (think Bimini top) mostly to keep heavy dew and moisture etc. off during the overnight. Beyond that my bikes have had built in alarm systems so I haven't felt like need for a disc lock. Never had anything happen, go missing or a bike disappear.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
I use a half cover when on the road just to keep prying eyes off the tank bag. I went out one morning in Gallup and as I pulled the cover off the handle bars moved, I had left the key in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Man, I thought I was the only one that forgets and leaves the key in the ignition :geek:

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts
I absolutely use a cover... I have a EZ Touring 1/2 cover and a Aerostitch full cover. I bought the EZ Touring from the ladies at the Gillette rally in 2008 for my LT. The first night I used it there was an incredible rainstorm. I thought the entire parking lot was going to come crashing thought my hotel window. My bike was bone dry underneath the cover. If I had not had that on the bike I would still be sitting on a wet seat. You never know when the weather will change overnight and dump ton of rain. It's also great for keeping prying eyes away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Which size of EZ Touring 1/2 cover would fit the 1250RT?...XT?

Reactions: robofavo

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I use a lightweight 3/4 cover and and a disc lock on my Beemer, and add a padlock on the front end on my Harley when I take that bike overnight. Out of sight... out of mind hopefully. Nice hotels usually have good security. Camping, I just use the cover for dust and dirt from windy nights.

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts
Which size of EZ Touring 1/2 cover would fit the 1250RT?...XT?
I bought the Traveller - Size X for my LT and it works great on the RT as well.

I also have a Wanderer - to cover stuff. Got it from a friend that used it on his older GT

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I always carry a nylon half-cover.
I never leave my tankbag on the bike overnight.
I never leave anything of value on the bike overnight.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a half cover when on the road just to keep prying eyes off the tank bag. I went out one morning in Gallup and as I pulled the cover off the handle bars moved, I had left the key in the ignition.
Oh man, that was a lucky break! There's one reason for keyless ignitions....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grew up in the Black Hills in the late 80’s. Expect cool nights and dewey mornings so a Bimini is helpful. As for theft, its just like everywhere else, depending upon where you stay, but generally its safe. Disk locks are a cheap option but I wouldn’t be too concerned about not having them. Since they host the Sturgis Ralley each year most places you stay will have advice useful for motorcyclists. I think my larger concern would be places to visit and such. Nemo Road, Iron Mtn Drive, Custer State Park are all high on the list. If you can, try to stay in Custer State Park (camp or hotel). Such a cool place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every trip I take a 1/2 cover ... in fact, I leave it in the top box at all times (then I don't ever forget it).

I do leave stuff in the top box overnight (gloves, neck gators, tire pump, tools, bungies, etc.).

I power lock the bike and all compartments are locked.

I've woken to heavy rain storms and even snow on the cover, and the bike was fine.

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Just a EZ bikini cover no locks. No one steals a BMW in USA. It keeps the dew and frost off plus the kids who want to sit on it. Really only use it to keep the summer sun off the bike when it is parked at the motel.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Add me to the list of EZ Touring half cover owners. It packs small and the biggest advantage is just keeping dew off the seat. I do lock the top case and side bags on my RT and I don't leave my tank bag on the bike (easy to disengage it and carry up to the motel room). The bike has an alarm, so it is also engaged. I've never had an issue in many years and many thousands of miles of touring all over the U.S.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every trip I take a 1/2 cover ... in fact, I leave it in the top box at all times (then I don't ever forget it).

I do leave stuff in the top box overnight (gloves, neck gators, tire pump, tools, bungies, etc.).

I power lock the bike and all compartments are locked.

I've woken to heavy rain storms and even snow on the cover, and the bike was fine.
I like the way you think... makes a wet or snowy morning just a little more tolerable. Thanks,

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 on the EZ Touring half cover. It's brilliant.

You can put it on while the bike is still hot.
It leaves my side cases and top case exposed so I can take things in/out without disturbing the cover.
I can leave my sheepskin saddle cover on, even if it's raining.
As other posters have mentioned, it packs up so small it does not compromise luggage capacity.

If I'm in an area that I think is a little sketchy or worse, I do add my ABUS disc lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did a 6-day ride up the west coast with my dad last month. I brought along my Wunderlich All-Weather full cover and covered my bike each night to keep it dry. Granted, the weather was a little colder & wetter along the Cali/Oregon/Washington coast than it’ll probably be on your ride.
As for a disc lock, I’ve actually never felt a need for one. I just use the regular handlebar/ignition lock and it’s been sufficient. I’ve always thought that if someone really wanted my bike bad enough, a little disc lock isn’t going to stop them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm planning a multi-day "out-west" trip this June through the Black Hills, into Wyoming & beyond this Summer from the midwest. The thought crossed my mind to bring a bike cover for over-nights, for both weather protection & maybe soft-security for overnight parking at motels & hotels. Do you bother covering your steed at night and if you bother with other soft-security items like disk locks? This is my first multi-day trip with a newish '19 RT so, I'm feeling somewhat protective. Thanks for any and all responses.
I bought an Ultragard (brand) Touring 1/2 cover from TeamMotorcycle.com. It has fuzzy cloth where it fits over the windshield to protect it from scratches. And it is small enough to stuff between the rear passenger seat and the top box, to save space in the top box. Takes a little positioning work to get it all in there. This same cover fits Honda Gl1800 etc. Like others have said, it does a geat job of keeping the dew and rain off of where I sit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a EZ bikini cover no locks. No one steals a BMW in USA. It keeps the dew and frost off plus the kids who want to sit on it. Really only use it to keep the summer sun off the bike when it is parked at the motel.
+1, but instead of EZ bikini, I've found that a plastic kitchen trash bag serves same purpose, takes up very little space, and keeps my RDL dry.

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Dark Blue; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
145 Posts
I used to do it but it's one more thing to carry. I had a Geza cover. They're small and stretcy...very convenient but they don't really do much...maybe cut the UV on your paint but they really don't keep dust or water off your bike. I had the best luck with one of those Walmart blue/silver ones. I think it cost $20 and was waterproof.

I bought a Redverz Solo tent over the winter. I may be parking inside from now on? We'll see how it goes.

:alien:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts