BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you pass when theres a no pass zone? I take 95N out of Stillwater MN a lot and half the time im wondering why I cant pass here and the other half thinking why is there a passing zone here...lots of curves and hills on it and at times I no I can just swoop right around when theres not even cars coming but its a double line no pass zone....so I don't pass....just curious how other ppl go about it

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In Ontario you can pass if you can do it safely, so if you are seen by the police it is a judgement call by the officer. I will pass but not when approaching intersections where I don't have a clear view of all directions of travel. In general the lines are painted using the performance of an underpowered car as the guide so a bike can easily make safe maneuvers when the lines on the pavement would suggest no.

Gerhard

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
NO never. I am not in THAT big a hurry. I just wait for a LEGAL passing zone.

Around here there is a reason for a no-passing zone. And it is ILLEGAL to pass in such a zone.

<table width="100%" style="padding-right: 5px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom">RCW 46.61.130

No-passing zones.

</td><td align="right" nowrap="" valign="top"></td></tr></tbody></table>(1) The state department of transportation and the local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving to the left of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones. When such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof.

(2) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (1) of this section, no driver may at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark the no-passing zone throughout its length.

(3) This section does not apply under the conditions described in RCW 46.61.100(1)(b), nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

RCW 46.61.100 is in reference to staying Right except to pass on multi lane roads and other minor exceptions which do not negate the rule above.

·
Registered
593 Posts
if I can pass and I want to pass then I pass.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
If I can safely pass on a double yellow with a wide safety margin, I will do so. Usually that means the vehicle ahead is going well below the posted limit and there are NO passing zones ahead for several miles (i.e. the entire North Georgia two lane infrastructure).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Atomicman said:
NO never. I am not in THAT big a hurry. I just wait for a LEGAL passing zone.

Around here there is a reason for a no-passing zone. And it is ILLEGAL to pass in such a zone.

<table width="100%" style="padding-right: 5px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom">RCW 46.61.130

No-passing zones.

</td><td align="right" nowrap="" valign="top"></td></tr></tbody></table>(1) The state department of transportation blah blah thereof.

(2) Where signs or markings a blah blahthroughout its length.

(3) This section does not apply under the conditions described in RCW 46.61.100(1)(b), nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

RCW 46.61.100 is in reference to staying Right except to pass on multi lane roads and other minor exceptions which do not negate the rule above.
What do they say about speeding?

Gerhard

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I will if it's safe. I've been stopped three times for it, and have yet to be cited. I willing admit that what I did was illegal, but that it was not unsafe.
When you look at laws such as posted above, it considers the least competent driver on the road way, and limits all to those circumstances. When you consider the rate at which a motorcycle can accelerate around a slower car, it's considerably quicker than the average passenger car.
And, truth be told, I just can't see letting Ma and Pa Kettle screw up a well designed public race track ride! ;)
Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
I'll only do it if I'm passing an SMV-marked vehicle - a farm tractor, combine, or truck pulling hay wagons, etc. I'd have to really, really know the road very well before considering it. At least in my home area, when it's a double-yellow it really isn't safe to pass - not enough sight line, for example.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
When I'm riding solo or with just one other bike I do it all of the time. When I'm leading a group ride I just stay behind the slow vehicle until at least most of the group can pass safely & then I slow down until the whole group gets past the slow vehicle.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yes, but in my home state of Vermont, it is not illegal to pass on a solid line.

The intent of the law is to allow passing of slow farm vehicles on our winding roads which may lack a passing zone for many miles.

While not illegal to pass on a solid line, it will not exempt you from a speeding ticket.

If a law enforcement officer sees you making a pass that he doesn't think is safe, he/she would have to bring a charge of excess speed because a charge of "unsafe pass" will probably be dismissed by a judge.

Snipped from a Wikipedia article: "In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. For example, Vermont State Law also allows passing across the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side. [9] Pennsylvania also permits passing on double-yellow lines when not also posted with "Do Not Pass" signage. [10][11] However this is unusual as most states have a ban on crossing a double yellow line except when turning, or when pedestrians, bicycles, or other obstructions in the road make it necessary. Overtaking another vehicle across a solid yellow line is usually considered a serious traffic violation in most states."

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Same as Dave, if I'm by myself or with a buddy that likes to ride fast then yes. If I'm with a group then no.

Always I make sure it is safe, I would never do it on a sharp turn on hill where I couldn't see oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do it but I always look for small roads or driveways on the left. If somebody pulls out they are probably only going to look to their left for traffic and will only see you after they pull out. A lot of times that's why there is a double yellow on what looks like it should be a nice long passing zone.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Absolutely not - Wasn't me, Can't prove it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:p

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Only in passing zone.
Exception with slow moving or stopped vehicle obstruction.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
gerhard said:
What do they say about speeding?

Gerhard
They say:

Mr. Gerhard, do you know how fast you were going?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have passed many times in no passing zones when someone is going slow. Just be careful that they are not cops. I passed an unmarked cop in Nevada many years ago and he was not happy about it. Luckily he didn't even give me a ticket but I don't expect to be that lucky again.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
amarider said:
Absolutely not - Wasn't me, Can't prove it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:p
You and I must have the same attorney.... ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Yes, but in my home state of Vermont, it is not illegal to pass on a solid line.

The intent of the law is to allow passing of slow farm vehicles on our winding roads which may lack a passing zone for many miles.

While not illegal to pass on a solid line, it will not exempt you from a speeding ticket.

If a law enforcement officer sees you making a pass that he doesn't think is safe, he/she would have to bring a charge of excess speed because a charge of "unsafe pass" will probably be dismissed by a judge.

Snipped from a Wikipedia article: "In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. For example, Vermont State Law also allows passing across the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side. [9] Pennsylvania also permits passing on double-yellow lines when not also posted with "Do Not Pass" signage. [10][11] However this is unusual as most states have a ban on crossing a double yellow line except when turning, or when pedestrians, bicycles, or other obstructions in the road make it necessary. Overtaking another vehicle across a solid yellow line is usually considered a serious traffic violation in most states."
I'm with Charlie on this, one especially having ridden with him. However, back here in PA, it depends on the speed of the vehicle in front of me. If they're doing the posted limit I'll wait for a passing zone. If they're way below the limit, I'll pass provided I have an unobstructed view and plenty of room. And yes, I usually ride at a speed 5-7 mph above the posted limit when said limit is 50 mph or higher. At lower speed limits the margin is smaller. FYI - S.O. got a ticket doing 32 in a 25 mph zone. I believe the LEOs tend to be less obliging in towns. Anyone who has ridden through the small towns in the Finger Lakes region of NY might vouch for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts