BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you typically lock your saddle bags underway? I never have but thought could one be jarred open on the road. Maybe locked is better...?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Never, 2 stage latching process if you look carefully at it. The side cases are latched shut when the large locking handle is turned and pushed in to the first stop, then it engages the locking mechanism on the final push-in action. Pretty safe latching system really. It's a robust structure to cope with the loada associated with passengers using the grab handles.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nope! The only time I lock the cases is if I have something of value in them and its parked.

Loren

·
Registered
256 Posts
Unlocked. I have hit potholes in Detroit that unsnapped 2 of the 3 mirror snaps but the side case never budged! :eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Never locked em and they have never come open.

·
Registered
929 Posts
+1 on what they all said...never.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The latches must be better than those on the panniers for the RT. I had mine pop open when I fierst gor the RT and didn't lock the bags. I thought the latches were pretty secure but they were not up the the rough road!

Regards,

·
Registered
453 Posts
While I have an RT not an LT. If I store anything in the side panniers - I will lock the side panniers. Typically while commuting to/from work I do not lock the top box, but if I tour then the top box is locked as well.

It should go without saying when I park up, everything is locked!

·
Registered
228 Posts
On my Voyager when even locked I had them fly off after hitting some big pot holes or whatever.
Great to see BMW did a way better job!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input and my airhead has the extra straps also. So far so good with the LT

·
Registered
198 Posts
The LT side cases vs the old Krauser and then BMW bags for the airheads are about as comparable as apples and fish. I've had the old bags not only pop open but fly off. I remember vendors selling those security straps for the bags at BMW rallies.

By comparison the latching mechanism on the LT cases is like a bulkhead hatch on a submarine. Once properly closed it ain't going anywhere. I never lock mine while riding.

JD

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No, Not locked when riding.
At final destination and times away from the bike absolutely. For those of you young enough remember the car trunk with the push button latch, or convertibles that were only closed when it rained or leaving your helmet and gloves on the seat to go in for a sit down meal. Need I say more. Central locking (fob) serves a purpose.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've ridden down the road with the latches only half-way shut and they stayed put. btw, I don't recommend it, even if the bags are empty. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
No, never locked them in the past 8 years of riding, unless by accident without knowing it.
This is a nice design, unlike many others it's extremely unlikely that it will open by itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts