BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you cover your bike when parked at a motel?
My thinking is more to keep prying eyes away.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
MountianMama said:
Depends on a coupla factors when it comes to ole Toad sleeping covered or not.

If foul wx is in, then ole Toad gets covered.
If I park ole Toad *around back*, then the cover comes out.
If I can park ole Toad under the Porte cache (sp?), within sight of the lobby and reservation area (and with their ok), then ole Toad sleeps nekkid. :eek:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
No cover, I use every inch of space for other things. I take all my stuff into the hotel then secure the bike. Never had any issues. I guess it depends to on where you stay. Some hotels let you park under the front door roof.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
MountianMama said:
Almost always cover mine with a half cover. I cover it both for the reason you mention and also to keep weather, bird droppings, etc., off of the bike. I still remove what I can easily remove (bayonet mount tank bag, trunk rack, bag, etc.), but I plan to install a GPS and CB before this summer and it will be nice to cover them as I believe neither has a quick disconnect feature.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Voyager said:
Almost always cover mine with a half cover. I cover it both for the reason you mention and also to keep weather, bird droppings, etc., off of the bike. I still remove what I can easily remove (bayonet mount tank bag, trunk rack, bag, etc.), but I plan to install a GPS and CB before this summer and it will be nice to cover them as I believe neither has a quick disconnect feature.
I do the exact same thing with The "Traveller" from E-Z Touring. Packed in it's bag it's about the size of a honeydew. I do remove my GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Arby60 said:
I do the exact same thing with The "Traveller" from E-Z Touring. Packed in it's bag it's about the size of a honeydew. I do remove my GPS.
I also cover mine with the "Traveller". It's very compact and easy to pack. I like to cover it for security reasons and also to keep the morning dew off and have the seat dry when I head out for the day's touring.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Cover mine with the Nelson-Rigg half cover (XL). Rolls up nice and small - and keeps prying eyes, and dew away (in the North West it's wet out every night).

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
pickerbiker said:
I also cover mine with the "Traveller". It's very compact and easy to pack. I like to cover it for security reasons and also to keep the morning dew off and have the seat dry when I head out for the day's touring.
I just purchased a 'Traveler' but haven't used it yet. It fits very nicely and is very light.

Question though, do you lock it to your bike some how? or just use the bungee cords that came with it to secure it?

After paying around $100 for it I'd hate to see it missing the next morning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have carried a half cover but not always. Never had a problem at hotels as of now. That being said, I am going to Maryland next week so I probably jinxed myself.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
that_guy11 said:
I just purchased a 'Traveler' but haven't used it yet. It fits very nicely and is very light.

Question though, do you lock it to your bike some how? or just use the bungee cords that came with it to secure it?

I use the Traveler also and have never tried to lock a bike cover to any bike I have owned. I haven't had a cover stolen in more than 25 years of touring, but I am sure that writing this probably ensures I will lose my Traveler soon!

I did write my name in the area provided on both the cover and the carrying bag using a permanent marker. If someone steals it, they will either have to deface it seriously or explain to their friends why they have a cover with someone else's name on it. :)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Simple answer is YES all the time. If I am leaving the bike for more then a hour parked I have a half cover. If over night I use a full cover. OUTA sight OUTA mind as they say. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nope ...call me vain i guess i want people to see what i ride...

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
hallzee said:
Cover mine with the Nelson-Rigg half cover (XL). Rolls up nice and small - and keeps prying eyes, and dew away (in the North West it's wet out every night).
+1 on Nelson-Rigg all the time when parked for more than a few minutes. Keep the leather seat and plastics out of the sun.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
244 Posts
jers99lt said:
+1 on Nelson-Rigg all the time when parked for more than a few minutes. Keep the leather seat and plastics out of the sun.

HTH,
Jer
+2 on the Nelson Rigg. the small cover stuffs in just fine behind the passenger backrest and in front of top case with the top case moved back !! Same reasons.. Dew, Hot, Rain, and keeps the honest more honest...

·
Registered
453 Posts
No, never! If I start covering it it's gonna think I give a damn and expect me to put all kinds of premium oil and crap in it. My 99' and I have an understanding; it starts up every morning or I part it out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Yes, Especially when you leave the key in the ignition in Gallup, NM.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I carry a half cover, too. It takes up very little space and sometimes I stay in motels that kinda remind me of the movie Deliverance.................. :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
No, never! If I start covering it it's gonna think I give a damn and expect me to put all kinds of premium oil and crap in it. My 99' and I have an understanding; it starts up every morning or I part it out.
I like your attitude... :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
that_guy11 said:

I just use the bungees to secure it to the bike. In 30 years of touring with motorcycles and covering them at night, I've never had someone steal a cover. I also have my name on the bag and the cover, but don't suspect that would stop someone who really thought they should have it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts