BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's now March 8th and I'm SICK of WINTER crap. There is still some salt on the roads and plenty of loose junk to go around. I am debating whether to get that dang bike out and ride it despite the conditions just because I can't stand seeing it sit any longer.

I guess the real reason we own these bikes is to "RIDE EM"!!!!!! Then again, I don't want salt dust and grime all over the bike as it is such a nice bike. Furthermore, the salt dust makes me nervous under the hood, but again, I bought it to ride.

What do all of you Northerners do? Ride it or keep it shiny in the garage until the beautiful days arrive?

·
Registered
43 Posts
31 degress in central Indiana yesterday and so I only put 200 miles on mine. Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's the beauty of multiple bikes. I've got the RT-P "beater" which I ride every day regardless of weather (although I don't have to worry about road salt.) Don't really care if I am "using that bike up" as it is serving its purpose to me as a relatively inexpensive commuter which is reliable and still a blast to ride.

The other "babies" only come out when it is nicer out...

Tom

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Ride!

I put 140 miles on the Ninja yesterday. Some salt and sand still on the roads. Had to take it a little easier than I would've liked. But just the same . . . my enjoyment comes from the ride. Not looking at them in the garage. I'll take riding a dirty bike anyday over a spotless one PARKED!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been riding mine in all types of weather, just not snow. They use salt on our roads, quite liberally too. salt and metal (aluminum especially) do not mix. I find if I wash the bike often, a rinse will not do - must be a real wash job to remove the salt. Even though I had a "just good" regime of washing I noticed some oxidization on the bottom of the trailing arm to the rear. I was thinking that attacking the cancerous growth with a dremel tool might do more damage than good. The wire wheel may remove any protective coating that is presently left.

does anyone have a good means of removing this white build-up?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ride! Baby! Ride! The guys at work are always making fun of my filthy, dirty beautiful LT. Rain spots, mud, salt, grime, all over. My response... it's not a Harley, it's made to ride not for show. Grab your helmet and lets go! <friend w/Harley> NO NO NO. I don't want to get my bike dirty, it takes all day to clean it. LOL... I gave ole Black Beauty a bath on Sunday with a couple of buckets of water... the hose is still frozen into the ground under the snow.

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
My '02 gets washed a couple times a year, maybe. I bought it to ride. Note that my '99 was ridden year-round in the UK and did start to show some oxidation of the aluminum parts after a couple of years that did affect the resale value. But still I'd rather ride than worry. Some folks may feel different, but they can do whatever they want with their bike, just as I do.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HooDoo:

Have you ever owned any Harley's? You sound like that typical HD owner. I know, I used to be one up until 1998. At any rate, I'm on my 4th LT. I have ridden them year round here. Mind you, not on a regular basis mid winter but I do ride all year. Only requirement for winter riding for me is clear, dry roads. Salt dust, never been a problem.

I was out yesterday, high of 37, did 300 miles. Out today, 53 degrees, did 100 miles. How in the heck can you sit there on a day like today and not ride?

Go for a ride, come home, rinse it off, park it. Don't worry.

Dick

·
Registered
48 Posts
You want to hear some real whining? While you "southerners" are wondering if you should get your bike dirty, I get to look at two feet of snow and below freezing temperatures and there's a good chance I won't be riding until mid April. I think I deserve a little sympathy.

Impatiently waiting for spring in Manitoba,
Wilson.

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
Maybe you could just put off-road tires on this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
02lt said:
You want to hear some real whining? While you "southerners" are wondering if you should get your bike dirty, I get to look at two feet of snow and below freezing temperatures and there's a good chance I won't be riding until mid April. I think I deserve a little sympathy.

Impatiently waiting for spring in Manitoba,
Wilson.
Southern Sask reporting .... saw a bike out today! Way too much gravel on the streets yet for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
that's why you need to have a peice of shit bike like a Harley so you can ride it in the winter - it will end up falling apart just as fast as the rust will eat it away. LOL! Naw really I love my lt so much I wouldn't ride it, I guess it's not a big deal if your willing to put the time in to clean all the crap off of it when your done. I'm lucky I live in AZ there really is no down season for me.

hoodoodrum said:
It's now March 8th and I'm SICK of WINTER crap. There is still some salt on the roads and plenty of loose junk to go around. I am debating whether to get that dang bike out and ride it despite the conditions just because I can't stand seeing it sit any longer.

I guess the real reason we own these bikes is to "RIDE EM"!!!!!! Then again, I don't want salt dust and grime all over the bike as it is such a nice bike. Furthermore, the salt dust makes me nervous under the hood, but again, I bought it to ride.

What do all of you Northerners do? Ride it or keep it shiny in the garage until the beautiful days arrive?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Ride Vermont

I took the r90/6
http://home.earthlink.net/~cmiddleton01/bmwairheads/
out for a ride a couple of days ago. Enough snow melted in the drive to allow me to get back up. The LT is way too heavy for snow riding, a little slip and down she goes, and then there's no footing to pick her back up again.
Temps in the low 30's but main roads were clear. Full Gerbings keep thing toasty.
Remember the BMWMOA national rally is in VT this year, and don't worry the snow will be melted by then ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we have some hard core LT riders here. Am impressed!! I am gonna let it rain for a day to wash the roads, but if it dries out this weekend, the LT is going to run.

·
Registered
857 Posts
RIDE IT. I had a business trip schedule this week and I saw the weather was going to be above 30 and no snow. I rode it to the hotel this morning. The ride was about 100 miles. Found myself briefly hitting 100 at one point decided I better put the cruise on and enjoy the ride. Oh what a feeling!

·
Cat Herder
1,438 Posts
I rode mine today!!!! Although I only went about 10 miles to the dealer for my annual and 12k tune... But hey, I was out there... Ride it hard, put it away dirty!!!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
meese said:
My '02 gets washed a couple times a year, maybe. I bought it to ride.QUOTE]

Really? I think I was honored to have your steed get one of those rare wash jobs in my driveway.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Bought mine in May 2002, June rode it to Alaska in a pack with 6 guys. By the time I got back the bike looked like it was at least 10 years old.

Ya, OK. First thing I did was get it repainted.

I ride it hard though. Not too often I ride it below 6000 RPM not mater what gear

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
ErnieA said:
Really? I think I was honored to have your steed get one of those rare wash jobs in my driveway.
They made me wash it, honest. :) Actually, the next time it gets washed may also be at your place. I'm trying to decide if I want to change fluids before I come up, or maybe dip into your Amsoil barrel again.

In the mean time, I'm trying to find a corporate apartment near Hillsboro as 4-5 weeks of hotels gets pretty pricey.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts