BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than checking oil after a full days ride and tire pressure every 2 weeks or so depending on weather changes, I really only check things out prior to a multi days ride or doing a service.
Well I have been doing alot of fall riding and we had a cold day so decided to clean the LT. While I was sitting behind the rear wheel with a spray bottle and rag, when the rag got caught on something on the tire. I have no idea how long that nail had been in there but if the weather had been nice that day I am sure I would have gone riding some twisties around here..
I am going to TRY and look at the bike a little more prior to taking off.
Ride safe all

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Holy cow, Marc. That's a lesson for all of us. I hope you're getting it changed before we meet up some time soon.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
I check tires at least once a week, ussually more. That nail is pretty scary lookin'

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Marc

Good catch!

Might want to change that valve stem to a metal one while you having the tire changed...

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
gulfxray said:
Marc

Good catch!

Might want to change that valve stem to a metal one while you having the tire changed...
I get a new rubber stem every time I buy tires. What's special about the metal one? It still has a ruber seal where the stem meets the tire right?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
mpillis said:
Other than checking oil after a full days ride and tire pressure every 2 weeks or so depending on weather changes, I really only check things out prior to a multi days ride or doing a service.
Well I have been doing alot of fall riding and we had a cold day so decided to clean the LT. While I was sitting behind the rear wheel with a spray bottle and rag, when the rag got caught on something on the tire. I have no idea how long that nail had been in there but if the weather had been nice that day I am sure I would have gone riding some twisties around here..
Ride safe all
first let me thank you for picking up that nail or I'm sure my wife would have found a way to pick it up instead <g>, seems she has a magnet for nails!

yes I do pre ride checks often, not every day, but at least a couple times a week, when i am traveling I do them about every morning before we pull out of where ever we stayed

habit is all it is but a good habit

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
tedhudson said:
I get a new rubber stem every time I buy tires. What's special about the metal one? It still has a ruber seal where the stem meets the tire right?
The metal valve stems are FAR better than the rubber ones. The rubber ones can fail either by the rubber inside head coming off, or more often by the metal core coming loose from the rubber outside of the stem assembly and blowing out. Neither can happen to the metal ones.

The metal ones are solid metal from the outside part where the valve is screwed into to the inside head, which cannot come out through the hole in the wheel. The rubber washers that seal the metal stems are on the inside and outside of the wheel, squeezed tight enough to seal by the nut on the outside. If they start to leak a little, the nut can be re-tightened.

It is possible for the washers to get old and hardened, but that will be long after rubber valve stems have likely failed.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
tedhudson said:
the bmw rubber stems have been known for the metal insert to come out, it has nothing to do with how it seals to the rim, we have had three of them do it, all our bikes are metal stems now

I use a aftermarket metal stem that is angled it makes it very easy to check pressure, i have the rear one angled to the left side and the front one angled forward so you can easily get a gauge on it. i can scan a pic of my install if you like for now here is a part number i use

tom

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
The number of times I have found something or have seen others find something during a wipe down would amaze you. I am convinced that a clean bike is a safe bike. You are one more example in a long line.

·
Registered
192 Posts
dshealey said:
The metal valve stems are FAR better than the rubber ones. The rubber ones can fail either by the rubber inside head coming off, or more often by the metal core coming loose from the rubber outside of the stem assembly and blowing out. Neither can happen to the metal ones.end quote:

David, where is the best place to order these metal valve stems? Does BMW have the nice product or should I pursue after-market? dwillie.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Another reminder to inspect before riding

mpillis said:
Ride safe all
Marc, thanks for sharing this experience! It only takes 1 minute to spin the tires when the bike is on the center stand. We should all TRY to visually inspect our tires. Whenever I forget to check, it come to mind as I accelerate into my first twisty or on to the hiway -- too late.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Everyday

I check my bike everyday, If I am pulling my trailer, at every gas or rest stop, I check to make sure all lights and signals are working, all chains hitch and wiring harness is right. I have a tire pressure alert and a tire guage, when hauling the trailer I always have a compressor, mini grease gun and marine grade bearing grease (Bearing Buddies installed).
I do enough dumb shit just being me, :D I don't need equipment failures in the mix.
Rock
PS I don't do the washing thing much, it gets rained on plenty.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
UncleRock said:
I do enough dumb shit just being me, :D I don't need equipment failures in the mix.
Hey I resemble that remark :)

I do a "walk around" at most every stop.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Le'me see? Pre-ride check. Oh yeah - the key is in the bike; helmet and gloves are still on the stingray; now where did I put my ID badge? Must be in the odments compartment. Turn the key on - pretty lights go on/off; flash pretty red alternating colors - WOW!!! that's koool! Kick stand - check; clutch in; Neutral - yeah it starts!!! Enuff gas to get to work? yep!

Life is good.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
mpillis said:
Ride safe all
I'm a daily rider. I check the tires and pressures daily before riding. Better safe than sorry. I also changed out to metal valve stems, purchased at Pep Boys for about $10, about 4 tire changes ago. I won't own another bike that those aren't installed at the first tire change. JM2CW

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
mpillis said:
Ride safe all
Impressive tire plug!!! I had the same exact puncture but with a phillips head screwdriver. Patch it from the inside and keep it for emergencies.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
ksailor said:
Le'me see? Pre-ride check.
Neutral - yeah it starts!!! Enuff gas to get to work? yep!
Life is good.
someofyousguys are just more comfortable livin on the edge :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Tanks Hans (I love it) - I didn't know my Noo Yawk accent was so noticable. Kinda tongue in cheek. Seriously tho; I check the bike over on the weekends and it gets a thorough inspection prior to any long (read) weekend ride. My weekday ride schedule to work is tight on time. Its worked for the last 25 years so who am I to argue with success.

I ride on the edge too... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts