BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually have one on my bike. I really like it. It may just be that it gives me piece of mind but I feel safer putting the bike on the side stand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have one too - good for soft ground, but I've scraped it on the tarmac a couple of times in 'brisk' left handers. Make sure your rear suspension's jacked up if you're going to be enthusiastic...........

·
Registered
747 Posts
I carry a plastic disc on a string. I was an item given at a rally. It woks great, even on the soft black top in parking lot.

Someone had been giving away 4 electrical box covers, to make a pad.
Instruction were to bend a covers, attach a string.

I don't like it as it could slide, being metal.

Save the money for more liquid refreshment.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah, they cause too much loss of lean angle towards the left, you'll scrape the crap out of it when you hit the twisties, especially 2-up. I actually removed as much of the underside of mine as possible with a grinder and cutting wheel. It's possible to increase the surface area by adding more to the top side of the foot when the stand is retracted, just make a cardboard template, ensuring it will clear the centre stand and exhaust etc, then duplicate from 1/8" plate and weld it on. Oh, and you can also trim off approximately 1/2 the rubber bump stop for the side stand, that'll gain you a bit more lean angle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K100Dennis said:
Yeah, they cause too much loss of lean angle towards the left, you'll scrape the crap out of it when you hit the twisties, especially 2-up. I actually removed as much of the underside of mine as possible with a grinder and cutting wheel. It's possible to increase the surface area by adding more to the top side of the foot when the stand is retracted, just make a cardboard template, ensuring it will clear the centre stand and exhaust etc, then duplicate from 1/8" plate and weld it on. Oh, and you can also trim off approximately 1/2 the rubber bump stop for the side stand, that'll gain you a bit more lean angle.
Thanks guys
I won't get one and do what Denis was talking about instead.
Love this place.
I hope I can help in the future!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Wasn't life better when more people left their beer cans lying around? I mean, nowadays the cans are all really thin aluminum and they're increasingly hard to find.

Even so, I still find myself looking around for a cast off can to put under the kickstand if the parking is soft.

And when did we start calling it a "sidestand"? I mean, it has always been a "kickstand" hasn't it?

Golly, one more thing to remind me I miss the good old days. :histerica

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have one and loved it on rally parking in the grass. A smallish piece of hard plastic on a string would last work. Mine has scrapped on sharp turns but is is pretty ground down just enough to not drag anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.