BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the K1200LT so I'm not sure what I've done. I've been doing a number of repairs and maintenance since I bought the bike a few weeks ago and now it won't start. :(

I did a couple of bad things. I had removed the fuel tank to change the fuel filter and air filter, put it back on, then tried to start it before I put the fuel back in. Duh. I also went to disconnect the battery charger, the positive lead slipped and shorted to the frame and sparks flew. And, I changed the spark plugs and had trouble getting the #4 wire to snap back on. Possibly loose?

I posted a short video of me trying to start it now and the noises it makes. Anyone recognize these noises? Any clues what I should check?

http://youtu.be/TGQo3CkGVDY

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
Does not sound normal. You said the lead hit the frame and sparks flew. Do you mean the charger lead or have you removed leads from the battery?

The sound makes me think the starter sprage is not engaging but it is hard to tell from the video. I don't under stand the noise I hear after you release the starter button. It seems to remain until you turn off the key.

What other maintenance items have you done? Don't fret to bad as I am sure we can sort this out for you. Oh it is this a 1999 to early 2001?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the fast response!

The charger lead shorted the battery positive to the frame. Battery was connected.

Since the last time I started it, I replaced the steering damper, removed the front brake calipers to clean off rust and replace the pads. Not reassembled yet, waiting for parts. Ran a new power lead to the unswitched power input to the stereo, works perfectly now. Repaired broken speed sensor cable on final drive.

Charger says the battery is fully charged too.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
OK if you removed the calipers they must say Brembo on them and you have an earlt LT. You said you added a new unswitched lead to the radio. Curious as to why? Did the old lead fail/melt??

Did you get all the wires back on the positive lead? Normally there are a couple of large red wires, a smaller one and one black/yellow wire with a red sleeve on the eyelet (this feeds the reverse controller). Some mistake that as a ground and hook it up wrong. (just shooting in the dark here).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, its a 99 model with brembo calipers. I'm pretty sure I got the battery leads connected right, but I'll double check it.

Couldn't find the problem with the radio power lead. It was just broken somewhere. I checked to see if it was shorted to ground, but it was just open.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
You also mentioned a charger, so I asume you have had issues with a weak battery and starting. The LT is notorious (early years) for welding starter relay contacts during weak battery starting attempts.

Sometimes the bike starts but the relay is still running the starter motor. This has been known to melt wires in the main harness if left unchecked. A jolt while riding can "unstick" the relay and the owner is none the wiser until other issues show up.

Sometimes the relay sticks and the bike does not start but the starter runs even with the key off. The only way to stop it is to remove the battery lead.

Any of this sound familiar?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the battery is new and it's a gel type. I understand that this type can't be allowed to fully discharge or it's a goner. I haven't ridden the bike for more than 20mins total since I bought it in December. Just been working on it over the winter. Been starting fine until I did this last round of work.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It seems to me that the sound it makes the first time you turn the key must be the fuel pump. Then, you turn it back on, same sound, hit the starter and that same sound starts again. I'd be inclined to think that something went wrong while reinstalling the fuel pump or lines.
I would also go back and make certain your plug wires are in the correct positions.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
One more quick one and I am done for the evening (tired). Replaced fuel filter - I did not hear a pump run when you first turned on the key. make sure the power lead it hooked up on the pump. If it is running then the hose may have popped off the new filter (not uncommon). Can shine a safe flash lite in the tank filer and look for swirling in the fuel as you cycle the key on and off. Also if you do not have quick disconnects it is easy to reverse the feed and return lines in th efuel system.

I'll be back on again tomorrow. Sorry you have had much of chance to ride the old girl but you will get there!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just thinking that this morning. Planning to take it for a load test in the morning, just to be sure!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it turns out to be the battery. Checked the voltage this morning and it was a little under 12 volts. Put a different charger on it for a few hours and the bike started right up. Whew!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts