BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I went to a maintenance seminar on Saturday.
We had a brief demonstration on how to do our own oil changes and valve adjustments. I feel it looked easy enough that I want to try it.
I have a few questions:

1) The valves need to be adjusted at the top of the power stroke? I was told to put a long screw driver into the cylinder and move the back wheel in 6th gear until the cylinder pushes the screw driver out to it's maximum position. that's fine but how do I know the exhaust stroke from the power stroke?

2) It seemed that all the tools required were special (expensive) BMW tools. For example, I need a tool to pull out the spark plugs. Does anyone have any suggestions for tools that are not expensive?

3) I need a tool to remove and replace the oil filter. Any suggestions for a cheap tool?

4) What kind of oil would you recommend for an 09 RT?

Thanks for your feedback,
Ellie

·
Registered
378 Posts
Check beemerboneyard.com for tools and maintainance kit, their oil filter wrench is $15ish?? A set of feeler guages $10ish, don't waste money on a spark plug wire puller, you can gently pry top then bottom with a dull screw driver or preferably a like peice of plastic, then pull with fingers. When the piston is at top and valves feel loose you are at right stroke. Bone yard also sells a service CD you may want to buy. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Ellie...
Congratulations... you are going to find this easy and fun.

First- do not use a long screwdriver... go to 7/11 and get the big Slurpee Straw, or find a long Chopstick. Metal screwdriver may cause unintentional harm to the top of your piston.... not likely but best to be safe.

The way you know if you are on a power stroke is that that the rocker arms on both the exhaust and intake side are "loose" This means you can actually feel the rockers move just a little bit when you move then by hand.

Nothing exotic or expensive needed. The spark plug is pretty deep in the head so you will need a thin wall spark plug wrench. The adjusters themselves need small allen wrenches. Then you need feeler gauges. Total expense is likely under $15...$25 at most.

Oil filter wrench is the subject of much discussion. A local auto parts store can suggest something that will work on this small diameter filter that is fairly recessed.

Oil is easy also... but depends on a couple of things. Age of the bike (is it broken in? If new and not broken in, use non-synthetic of the grade recommended by the manual. If fully broken in use a full synthetic of the grade recommended.

I also recommend you find an experienced BMW enthusiast to coach you through your first time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
We had a brief demonstration on how to do our own oil changes and valve adjustments. I feel it looked easy enough that I want to try it.
I have a few questions:

1) The valves need to be adjusted at the top of the power stroke? I was told to put a long screw driver into the cylinder and move the back wheel in 6th gear until the cylinder pushes the screw driver out to it's maximum position. that's fine but how do I know the exhaust stroke from the power stroke?

2) It seemed that all the tools required were special (expensive) BMW tools. For example, I need a tool to pull out the spark plugs. Does anyone have any suggestions for tools that are not expensive?

3) I need a tool to remove and replace the oil filter. Any suggestions for a cheap tool?

Ellie
1) I would not recommend sticking a screw driver in there, if you must, use a plastic straw.
Rotate the engine in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise as viewed from the front looking toward the rear). Watch the intake valves, you will see them open then close, after they close you will be coming up on TDC compression stroke for that cylinder.
I rotate the engine using a socket on the front crank, removing the front cover is easy. I used a mirror and light looking through the bell housing TDC hole and lined up the holes. After doing this I put a paint mark on the front crank pulley and housing, it is now easy to locate TDC by lining up the paint marks. Watch the intakes, line up the mark, adjust valves, rotate 360 and adjust the other side.

2) Do the above and you will not have to remove the spark plug.
I hear Harbor Freight has a spark plug tool that will work

3) I bought an aftermarket OF tool from the dealer that fits perfectly, about 20 bucks

4) I'll leave this one alone.

Good Luck, take your time, and have fun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
I have a few questions:

Ellie
1) All four valves will be loose when you've got it on the correct stroke and TDC. It's really easy.

2) I purchased the special aluminum spark plug cap puller and while it did work pretty good, the thin plastic edge that it relies on for bite broke off on one plug cap. A flat blade screw driver worked just as well. I put some dielectric grease in the cap so next time the plug caps will come off a little easier.

3) An steel oil filter wrench can be purchased at any auto parts store I believe. I have an aluminum one that came with a tool kit I bought.

4) In my opinion regular old dinosaur oil is fine for the life of the bike with oil changed at recommend intervals. If you don't keep up on maintenance or ride like you stole it, a synthetic oil is probably best. IMHO

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can highly recommend Beemer Boneyard for parts. I have been using them for years and they ship to Canada no problem. Check out their site they have; 4 Mann oil filters, crush rings and filler O-ring and a steel filter remover for $65. Mann and Mahle make the filters for BMW.

http://beemerboneyard.com/11427673541mk.html

If you are close to a major service check out these kits as well.

http://beemerboneyard.com/r1200hsupmaintkit.html

The JVB DVD is excellent as well, they have it, lots of info.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200.html

Notice they carry the feeler gauges. If you place an order get some of these grips for $6 they are nice and comfy.

http://beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html

If you are interested there are a bunch riders in the area and we usually organize a Tech day. You might want to start a thread in the Canada section and see who is interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used the eraser end of a pencil to bring the piston to the top. Only tools I bought were 2 sets of valve gauges. I have a large tool box but just for the heck of it I did the valves with the kit that came with the bike. Everything you need is there. I kind of wanted to see what I could take on if out on the road and what additional tools should be packed. Oil changes, I bought the six pack of filters and wrench and crush washers from Beamer Boneyard. I change the oil every 6000 and the trans and final drive every 12,000. Getting up the nerve to do a complete brake flush and TB balance at 24000. Wish me luck.
2004 1150rt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts