BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my 12k maintenance on my 05 lt. And as I was flushing the radiator, I noticed a rock had come up and put a nice ding on one of the radiators. After some thinking, I decided to cut two 7 inch x 10 inch metal lathe (from home depot) and bend it to conform to the front of each radiator. What's really cool is the rigidness of the metal lathe and felt it would be a nice line of defense for a stone coming up and hitting the radiator -- plus it would not impede any airflow.

To hold the metal lathe in place, I snaked a rigid piece of wire (again from Home Depot) from the side and back of the radiator and weaved it through the holes in the lathe. Since the wire is rigid, I could bend it to form a nice tight fit. After my installation, I grabbed some black BBQ high temp paint and painted everything up. It is virtually impossible to detect to -- especially once I put my tupperware back on.

Hope it helps as it seems like a nice add-on to the bike. .

Glenn

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
First of all...
:worthless​

And secondly, keep on eye on those temp gauges as the weather warms up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is great. Good honest, back to basics ideas. Well done. I'm going for a ride to the hardware store.

Cheers and kindes regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nice job Glenn. This definitely qualifies as a farkle. Cheap and effective.

Thanks,

Loren

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Whats the dimensions on those Motorhead?
I'm about to do the great bug-catching run around Oz, and a pair of those might come in real handy if I can knock them up over a weekend!
cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
+1 on Motorhead design. I did them 2 yrs ago for my ride.

Here is a link to the info you need, thanks to 'Motorhead'

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=285984&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=High%20Flow%20radiator%20screens&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=285984

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=292303&page=&view=&sb=&o=

cws said:
Whats the dimensions on those Motorhead?
I'm about to do the great bug-catching run around Oz, and a pair of those might come in real handy if I can knock them up over a weekend!
cheers

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks Phil & motorhead!
Now I have a weekend job..... just like Paul! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay in getting these pictures to you but I was traveling last week. Nonetheless, you can see that the top picture is of the tools I used and metal lathe. The botton picture is of the metal lathe installed and painted black. Looks great actually.

Again, everything can be purchased at Home Depot for a few dollars.

Glenn

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts