BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well although my LT is away for the winter, I have purchased some oil filters and the filter wrench, Napa Gold filters. I was wondering if I really need a torque wrench to complete the task. I likely won't be doing this until next fall, but If I do need a torque wrench, I may as well start looking for one now. I have always done my own oil and filter changes on all the bikes I have owned, and have never had a problem. I had the dealer do my oil change and final drive fluids back in Oct. as it was still under warranty and I wanted everything checked out. I know that the BMW is a bit different and this site hs all the dope on how to do it. What do you all think???????
Jim
:toast: :toast:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I did my oil change once without using a torque wrench and my final drive failed................... :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've done it myself a few times without the torque wrench, no problems. Since you've done stuff yourself on other bikes, you should be fine too.

Did you find the tutorial on this site on the oil change? It goes over the final drive, motor and tranny fluids. Very helpful and well done.

Just search in the technical articles section. I printed it out and keep it in a binder for quick reference. Some good tips in there that will save time and effort.

Have fun!

·
Registered
498 Posts
rattler50 said:
I did my oil change once without using a torque wrench and my final drive failed................... :(
How in the world are you connecting the two? That's kinda like saying you changed the spark plugs and got a flat tire......
Look, if the torque is low on the oil oil plug, it will leak, or worse fall out..... if it is over torqued, you run the risk of stripping the threads...... Use the new crush washer, tighten the bolt well. No need to get a three foot breaker bar, but give it more than Richard Simmons could.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In my opinion, torque wrench is important for three bolts holding the oil filter cover. It is so easy to overtorque and break those if you are not careful.
(been there, done that)
gladiator99 said:
Well although my LT is away for the winter, I have purchased some oil filters and the filter wrench, Napa Gold filters. I was wondering if I really need a torque wrench to complete the task. I likely won't be doing this until next fall, but If I do need a torque wrench, I may as well start looking for one now. I have always done my own oil and filter changes on all the bikes I have owned, and have never had a problem. I had the dealer do my oil change and final drive fluids back in Oct. as it was still under warranty and I wanted everything checked out. I know that the BMW is a bit different and this site hs all the dope on how to do it. What do you all think???????
Jim
:toast: :toast:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
How in the world are you connecting the two? That's kinda like saying you changed the spark plugs and got a flat tire......
Funny you mentioned that, that's exactly what happened to me.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
What's a Torque Wrench??
Just don't be Igor and crank things down. Easy does it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No... :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
MattKas said:
In my opinion, torque wrench is important for three bolts holding the oil filter cover. It is so easy to overtorque and break those if you are not careful.
(been there, done that)

+1 those little f-ers are touchy.

F

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you're worried about over torquing the filter cover bolts, use a 1/4" drive ratchet. You'd have to really WORK at it to break them with that. And if you are still worried, use a Snapon stubby 1/4" ratchet, no way you'll be able to break bolts with that.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The three small bolts that fastened the filter cover break very easily. I haven't done it but many people have broken those off. Dave Shealey even had some upgraded bolts at one time to reduce the risk of this. You'll need the torque wrench for many other things on the bike so you might as well find one now. The filter cover bolts are way down around 10 N-m so you'll need a small torque wrench for those.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Look, if the torque is low on the oil oil plug, it will leak, or worse fall out..... if it is over torqued, you run the risk of stripping the threads...... Use the new crush washer, tighten the bolt well. No need to get a three foot breaker bar, but give it more than Richard Simmons could.

I laughed out loud at rattler's post before I read this one. Did you really think he was serious?! It was a good, funny post. Yeah I forget to post the wink ;) and it gets me in trouble with folks who read my posts as being serious when they are tongue in cheek.

All the fasteners in the oil change process are "non-critical" fasteners. You don't have to torque them. BUT... if you are not experienced at twisting nuts and bolts on these bikes, it can be surprising how little force is required. Many people have over tightened these bolts and stripped the threads in the aluminum engine casing or broken a bolt.

Experienced wrenches won't bother with a torque wrench to put the oil filter cover back on.

And, with a cheap torque wrench, or one set badly, or one that isn't the proper range for the light forces involved, you could easily strip or break those bolts while using a torque wrench.

Easy does it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And, with a cheap torque wrench, or one set badly, or one that isn't the proper range for the light forces involved, you could easily strip or break those bolts while using a torque wrench.

Easy does it.[/QUOTE]

+1 I just tossed a SEARS DIGITATORQUE that read high. The numbers in the window disappeared and Sears charged $30 to tell me it couldn't be fixed.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
beets said:

Easy does it.
+1 I just tossed a SEARS DIGITATORQUE that read high. The numbers in the window disappeared and Sears charged $30 to tell me it couldn't be fixed.[/QUOTE]

Two words... Snap On :histerica

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are the type that thinks you have to tighten every nut and bolt down till it smokes them back off a half turn you need a torque wrench. If you have experience installing hard metal bolts of all sizes into aluminum threads probably will not need a torque wrench.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts