BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna be putting on new Michelin PR3's on my 2009 RT. I ride 95% alone. My weight is about 210, wife about 170. Do I need the "B" rated tire for the rear (180/55 ZR17B) or is the standard 180/55 ZR17) sufficient? Only go on a trip or two a year where luggage may be on bike. The B is about $25.00 higher....Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
If you plan on riding two-up more than 'occasionally', spend the $25. The B has a firmer sidewall and will allow the tire to run cooler with the additional load.

If you generally ride solo with a moderate load, the non-B will run great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the non B will be just fine. If you have not used the PR3's before I also think you will be happy with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got in from my BMW dealership getting the PR3's installed. I got the standard rear because they did not have the B rated rear. They assured me the standard tire will do well. They also matched the price of Revzilla on the PR3's. Got both installed and with taxes and one new valve stem, the total for all was $383.00 I think this is a really good price. Would have been higher if I didn't call them about the price online. I do like this dealership and use them for all of my maintenance. Thanks to Touring Sport, in Greenville, SC.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny the dealer said that because the ownes manual recommends the b rated PR2.

·
Registered
419 Posts
1964Hall said:
$25 sounds cheap for piece of mind, imo.
\v/

Agreed, I went with the B version and have been very happy with it. My stock Metzlers were cupped and toast (front and rear) at 5500 miles. Currently have 5k on the PR3's and they still look nearly new. Would I be able to tell the difference, probably not but the peace of mind helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.