BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
My bike is a 1999 K1200LT with 68,000 miles on it. It's running well. I'm preparing for a very long trip this April (about 10,000 plus miles). I'm taking a month off and am going around the perimeter of the continental U.S. (no Alaska) My temperature gauge changed it's normal behavior a few weeks ago. The norm was that at highway speeds the indicator would stay at just below the middle white line. Around town the indicator would rise above the white line halfway to the top white mark and the fans would kick in. Overnight it changed to never going above the middle white line. Fans still work as they should. I'm thinking of replacing the temperature sensor. Has anyone experienced this? The bike runs beautifully.

thank you in advance for your thoughts
Tony

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
There are actually two temp sensors on the LT. One for the water (which may be your issue), and one for the engine (it's actually on the rearward side, block mounted, and accessible fro the left side of the bike).

My radiator temp sensor never went out. My engine temp sensor went out, and it was obvious. The computer never knew when the engine heated up, so fuel mapping was wrong. Computer always was fueling as if cold, so 5 minutes into a ride, it would sputter, spit, and barely run... Pull over, let her cool - and then I could go for another few minutes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Hi all:
Overnight it changed to never going above the middle white line. Fans still work as they should. I'm thinking of replacing the temperature sensor. Has anyone experienced this? The bike runs beautifully.

thank you in advance for your thoughts
Tony
If you mean the fans kick in and there is hot air coming from the radiators when the fans are blowing and the gauge reads low then YES. But if it is not blowing hot air then it could be the thermostat.

Also if you do change the sending unit it is NOT a pipe thread (there is a copper gasket) so when it gets tight don't keep going (if you do it will snap off). The torque is only 9Nm or a hair above "snug".

Reactions: saddleman
1 - 4 of 4 Posts