BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Do I need a fuse block to install driving lights?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tsperez 
#1 ·
Looking at adding a set of PIAA driving lights to my 2012 RT.

Do I need to install a fuse block to connect them to or are they powered elsewhere (e.g. tap/splice, battery, etc.)?

#2 ·
You can use a fuse block if you want but not needed. I installed my PIAA driving lights without one (wired right to the battery) and have the on/off switch wired to the accessory outlet used for the GPS and it works just fine.

Btw, you can install the wires without having to remove any tupperware.

#3 ·
four12 said:
Looking at adding a set of PIAA driving lights to my 2012 RT.

Do I need to install a fuse block to connect them to or are they powered elsewhere (e.g. tap/splice, battery, etc.)?
Absolutely !!

Whatever you do for feeding the lamps, put a fuse inline with the +12 lead close to the battery. The good news is that if you use the PIAA harness, they supply a fuse in their harnesses. You are riding a machine that vibrates so Murphy's Law says you will eventually have a chafe of a positive lead somewhere and cause a short. Never, ever run +12vdc lines without a fuse or something other than the final drive will catch fire :eek:

A good switching fuse block is a good investment anyway. Makes for really neat wiring for added stuff like GPS, phones, intercoms, transceivers etc., and keeps the battery leads clean of rat nest wiring.

#4 ·
Youe don't Need one but it does make things a bit easier. It makes it easier too to install additional electircal accessories later...like Gerbings, HyperLights, etc. Also you are not tapping into as much BMW wiring.

I installed a CenTech fuze block before installing the MotoLights. While you may be able to install the wiring without removing the fairings I think that you will be able to do a better and neater job if you do so. Removing the tupperware is not difficult but does take a little of time. I installed both fairing mount and caliper mount driving lights and tapped the parking light circuit to provide a switched power source for the relays.

Regards,

#5 ·
cessna said:
Youe don't Need one but it does make things a bit easier. It makes it easier too to install additional electircal accessories later...like Gerbings, HyperLights, etc. Also you are not tapping into as much BMW wiring.

I installed a CenTech fuze block before installing the MotoLights. While you may be able to install the wiring without removing the fairings I think that you will be able to do a better and neater job if you do so. Removing the tupperware is not difficult but does take a little of time. I installed both fairing mount and caliper mount driving lights and tapped the parking light circuit to provide a switched power source for the relays.

Regards,
My wiring is as neat as a pin :)

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I was able to located the PIAA installation manual online (despite a lot of dead links).

I'll probably do a fuse block "just because" - you never know when a new, urgently needed farkle will appear and have to be connected immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.