BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow LT'ers. Hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me.

Riding my 09 LT which only has about 400 miles on it. I am traveling a country 2 lane blacktop road today and I think I feel a wobble. Not sure if it's a front or a rear wobble. I am looking at the tree tops to make sure there is no significant wind. No wind. Maybe it's the tar snakes as it in the low 90's. Not sure what it is, but I think I am definitely feeling unstable at speeds of 50+. I pull over and check the bike over. Put it on centerstand, try to wiggle the front and rear wheels side to side. They seem to be secure. A quick check of bolts around tire and frame area, seems OK. Front brake rotors are not abnormally warm. Back rotor is HOT!!! I can't touch it it's so hot. Could I be dragging a rear brake caliper. Would that give me a wobble feel? Should the rear rotor be this hot? Seems like there is substantially more brake dust on the rear rim as compared to the front rim.

Any help on this is appreciated. I am schedule to have the 600 mile service done next Wednesday (7-16-08) :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I find the LTfollows the tar snakes far more than most other bikes. Best solution is to put more air in the tires. See posts regarding best pressure for your tires.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Any time you have something hot I'd be concerned. I'd start by putting th emotorcycle up on the centerstand and checking the rear wheel for brake drag. Maybe your rear brake pedal needs to be adjusted if the brakes are dragging.

I'd also check the final drive to see how hot it is at the same time. Also, there is no reason not to take the motorcycle in to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic and test ride to see if it is a problem. One nice thing about the dealer is that they will document the problem. So, even if they say there is nothing wrong and you drive until poof your brake rotor melts, your rear wheel falls off, etc. you can get it fixed under warrenty as a prior claim (most times anyway).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Talk is cheep
Get a copy of the "Shop Work Order" or what ever they call it at your dealer stating the problem or concern you are bringing the bike in for and their repair,remedy or reason that "it" is not a problem .With a date on it . This may get a repair for something that craps out after warrantee .

Bob G

·
Registered
220 Posts
My '09 is smooth as glass. However running over tar snakes makes happy button go off. The weight of this beast makes it more apparent I think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tyre pressures!!!

Curious about the hot rear disc though. Does the wheel bind on the centre stand when you try to turn it?

Or do you have a very large right foot or double jointed ankle, as I think it's the only way you could leave your foot covering the brake pedal while you ride. I miss mine all the time when I'm trying to hit it :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks Cookie! I was not sure what that was either.
My 2000LT seems to wonder left to right but I think it's me! No wobble here!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the opinions. I rod ethe LT to my boat, about 70 miles one way and back, with no wobble. I am leaning towards the tar snakes. When i got to the boat, the rear was about the same temp as the front rotors. Not sure what may have been going on with the heat issue the other day. As far as spinning the tire on center stand, I did that with no appearant drag. I will have my dealer take it for a ride on Wednesday and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts