BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No - With the bike, not me. Was traveling home last night and got caught in an accident. The temperature guage went to just before the red while I was just creeping along in first. Was stuck for about 10 minutes. As soon as I got back to speed, the temp went to half way where it normally sits. It was a hot, muggy afternoon.

What should I be looking at to see if there is a problem. Could the fans be going and, if so, how can I check this out.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I don't think BOTH fans would fail...I'm thinking thermostat or a loose or corroded connector. Perhaps even something got unplugged during some other work done to the bike.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I gotta agree with Joe, especially on a '99. Thermostat or faulty radiator cap - replace both, they ARE wear items. Probably time for new hoses while you are at it.

All cheap insurance and easy to do without a BMW tech getting involved... $$$

Do keep in mind the temp indicator has ALWAYS been pretty reactive on the LT - so you may not have a problem after all! ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Will check the parts out and look at the manual to see how to replace the mentioned parts. Good to see you back Joe.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Colin1952 said:
No - With the bike, not me. Was traveling home last night and got caught in an accident. The temperature guage went to just before the red while I was just creeping along in first. Was stuck for about 10 minutes. As soon as I got back to speed, the temp went to half way where it normally sits. It was a hot, muggy afternoon.

What should I be looking at to see if there is a problem. Could the fans be going and, if so, how can I check this out.
Wait a minute -- the temp did not go into the red? I don't see any problem in that description. That's perfectly normal for the LT.

The temp gauge is pretty active. The LT is set up such that when the temp reaches the upper range (just before the red), the fans switch on. You can verify they're working by putting your hand over the radiator outlet to feel the hot air flowing away from the bike. Once you get going again, the moving air flow brings the temps back down. As long as the needle doesn't enter the red, and the fans are both operating when the temp goes up nearly to the top, there's no problem.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Perfectly NORMAL, don't worry unless it actually gets into the red and the dash warning light comes on.

The only time I ever had a problem was when one of the two fans stopped working. Dealer found it had evidently not been plugged in all the way at the factory, and had come unplugged.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. Had a look at the manual and seemed to be a bit of work involved in replacing all the bits. The needle didn't go into the red, although I can't remembe it going up so high before. Will keep a close eye on it to see that it stays out of the red. Thank you all for the prompt responses. Gotta love the on-line knowledge bank.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
What is actual temp?

Hey, Colin.. do you know anyone with a "pyrometer"? It is a hand held device you aim at a surface to gauge it's temp. I'm betting you can find someone with that device to check the actual temp... just to make sure the bike is behaving accordingly. Gauges are fine, but only when they tell the truth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know anyone off-hand but will ask a mechanic I know if h has one. Do you know what a reasonable "actual" temperature is?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I definitely agree with Mark and Dave. I don't see a problem as of yet. The temp gauge needle will rise high enough to make you wonder if you're headed for a problem but just when you need them the fans will kick on and do their job.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Enjoy it. They don't come any better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just about to take up an office job at a coal mine in Tasmania. Will be a 1 hour commute each way from home to the mine. Can't get the grin off my face with the thought of 2 hours on the girl each day. Currrently ride it each day but it is only 25 minutes each way in traffic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts