BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the dealer last week to determine why the brake light stays on, and was going to take a loaner bike. Turns out, my license, renewed in January, no longer has the motorcycle endorsement. As the dealer wasn't familiar with me, they weren't willing to loan me a bike.

Now I have to sort this out with the DMV, take more time, and I suspect spend more money, for their mistake (I presume it wasn't really revoked). It must be nice to work for a monopoly. Oh well. It's not stopping me from riding, but I am dragging along a copy of my old license.

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
I had the same issue a couple of years back when I renewed my license. They simply didn't put the M1 designation on the new license.

I went to the DMV and showed them, they looked it up in their records and conformed that I did have a valid M1 endorsement, and they ordered me a replacement license.

I don't remember if there was a fee or not, but I don't think there was.

It's a hassle, but easily rectified.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Bummer, Bob. I look forward to reading the rest of the story, with a happy ending, I hope.

P.S. I wouldn't ride into the DMV to get it fixed, if I were you. :wave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
You guys gave me a scare and made me reach for my wallet and check for the M1 endorsement!!!:eek:

It's there! :bike:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
zippy_gg said:
You guys gave me a scare and made me reach for my wallet and check for the M1 endorsement!!!:eek:

It's there! :bike:
+1... Got mine in August, and never looked! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I don't mean to sound totally stupid, but are you sayin' that I gotta' be licensed for these things? Crap.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
fpmlt said:
I don't mean to sound totally stupid, but are you sayin' that I gotta' be licensed for these things? Crap.
In California and British Columbia, yes. It never occurred to me that it might not be the same everywhere. Are there any states, provinces, or countries that do not require a separate motorcycle test and endorsement?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
In Illinois a Class M is required for MC over 150 cc.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I apologize, I was being a smartass. Oregon breaks it down into two categories, under 500CC and over. Even went so far as to require new riders to take a safety course, which I firmly believe to be a good thing.
sorry :eek:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Your insurance company was likely about to get excited about this, too.

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
fpmlt said:
Even went so far as to require new riders to take a safety course, which I firmly believe to be a good thing.
Does that safety course require the use of helmets? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
meese said:
In Ohio you are a motorcycle virgin for 1 year and must wear a helmet after receiving the endorsement. After that it's optional.

When I ride 1/2 mile to the grocery store, I wear the lid!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
meese said:
I believe every MSF certified course requires helmets. What you do when you leave the class is your choice. What I tell students is that people usually protect what is important to them..

As a MSF Instructor, I see people every year that ride their bike to class to get their license. Gets interesting when they find out your fellow instructor is a LEO....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Had my endorsement for over twenty now, make sure I mention it every time I get renewed mainly because Have you noticed all the crap and the money it costs to get a new endorsement? That's nuts. and after you have rode for a while, it is nuts taking the written test, the answers don't match up to reality a lot of time, just the book. :histerica

1 - 16 of 16 Posts