BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will have some cheese with this whine :rotf:

Got my bill yesterday from DN and once again prices have risen, this time to the tune of $ 5.00 making the grand total $ 80 and change with tax.

I probably should cancel DISH, but where we live we can't get Comcast, Charter is having financial issues, DIRECT TV has had many many customer complaints and was recently hit with legal troubles, our local phone/high speed carrier just married up with DISH :mad:

Our choices are limited here, so, any ideas here? Netflix only offers movies and I do enjoy watching other programming that is only offered on the upper tears.

I've heard of internet TV and am not sure if we have the capabiltity. I guess a run to the geek squad would settle that!

So, do I quit my belly-aching, man-up and just pay the darns bills or do I send DISH a strong message and cancel?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
pkpr1998 said:

Got my bill yesterday from DN and once again prices have risen, this time to the tune of $ 5.00 making the grand total $ 80 and change with tax.

I probably should cancel DISH, but where we live we can't get Comcast, Charter is having financial issues, DIRECT TV has had many many customer complaints and was recently hit with legal troubles, our local phone/high speed carrier just married up with DISH :mad:

Our choices are limited here, so, any ideas here? Netflix only offers movies and I do enjoy watching other programming that is only offered on the upper tears.

I've heard of internet TV and am not sure if we have the capabiltity. I guess a run to the geek squad would settle that!

So, do I quit my belly-aching, man-up and just pay the darns bills or do I send DISH a strong message and cancel?

I will be checking my bill closley. My brother just switched to DirecTV and really likes it. He was able to upgrade receivers due to the switch. I might check into that.

David

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Brett,

I know zactly where you are coming from. We have Direct TV here and it is $77 a month. We live in the boonies and do not have cable or high speed internet. I only watch a small portion of the programming available and really feel screwed with out being kissed. My only option is an outdoor antenna and watch local network stations. (no FOX news).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
pkpr1998 said:

Hey Brett, You have a choice. You can either keep bitching, or you can just bend over and smile as you put the check in the mail! I have Directv 'cause where I live satellite is about the only option. I've had that service for more than 15 years and have been happy with the service. Unfortunately, like you I'm not happy with the price but not sure any other service is much different. I have 2 receivers- 1 HD, mid level programing with no extras like HBO, STARZ,SPORTS, etc. My monthly fee is just shy of $80. So, between TV, Internet, and telephone I spend about $250/mo just for communication and entertainment!! Holy Crap, that's about 20% of my Social Security" ENTITLEMENT:rolleyes:" Anyway, have a nice day, I'm going riding!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Personally, I'd drop it. Spend a couple of months DISH money on a decent over the air antenna. We haven't had cable for 7 years and other than a couple of programs don't really miss it.

Netflix, books, this dang computer, ham radio and my wife keep me busy in the evenings.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have no complaints against DirecTV. The only issue I do have is occasional reception problems when bad storms are over my area. Usually these interruptions are only a minute or two long, so not a HUGE issue, but at times a little frustrating.

Other than that, I like DirecTV. I have three relatives with Dish, and I absolutely hate their menu structure and operation relative to DirecTV.

I have had DirecTV for about 3 1/2 years now. Presently have two HD DVR's and two Standard def DVR's Everytime I upgraded a box I got rid of a standard receiver.

I would like to have On Demand, but need a good internet connection for that. AT&T is currently beginning to put U-Verse into my area, so hopefully it will be available in the next few months so I can get their Internet. I would not switch TV from DirectTV though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have ATT Uverse. The service is fine but I found I was not watching very many of the additional channels that were in the package that l had - U200. In fact it was only BBC America that I watched and even then it was just Top Gear. I looked at the channels on the next package down but there was nothing that I would ever look at, so I changed it to just the local channels only. I'll find Top Gear somewhere on the internet if I want to watch it. I also took out an $8/month streaming subscription to Netflix. You don't get every movie that way. If I find I want to watch something that is dvd only I can change my subscription to $10/month or get it from Redbox for $1.

With the DVR I never watch "live" TV anymore. I set it to record the shows I'm interested in and watch them when I have time.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I use antenna, netflix and red box at home. At work, I have Dish. I went to cancel it because I really didn't want the expense any more. So they told me that I can get 20 channels for about $8.00 a month. Works great as I only watch about 3 channels at work.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've been a happy DISH customer for over 10 years. Over Christmas break, I upgraded all of my equipment and programming to HD, and my bill went DOWN!

Since then, I've had two friends convert from DirecTV to DISH because Direct wanted to screw them when trying to upgrade to HD. Direct wanted to charge them for the equipment AND extra for the programming.

Seems everyone has a different story. You'll have to figure out what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I've been a happy DISH customer for over 10 years. Over Christmas break, I upgraded all of my equipment and programming to HD, and my bill went DOWN!

Since then, I've had two friends convert from DirecTV to DISH because Direct wanted to screw them when trying to upgrade to HD. Direct wanted to charge them for the equipment AND extra for the programming.

Seems everyone has a different story. You'll have to figure out what works best for you.
It's like they're all franchises and just get whatever their market will bare. I was in ME last winter and got Time Warner Cable. I downgraded there too and could only get down to a $58. per month plan. Sheesh! Does anyone see a pattern here?:p

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
I have a hybrid solution... I kept Crime Warner for Internet only ($30/month), Vonage for phone ($15.00/month), Dish Network for TV ($30/month special) for mid-level programming-HD for life-DVR 2receivers, and Netflix ($14/month).
I used to have Crime Warner for Internet and TV (Basic +) at the tune of $120.00/month and Vonage ($15/month). I am much happier with the new arrangement and a bunch more channels than before.
I signed up for DN at the Long Beach motorcycle show last December.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
mccodavj said:
I have ATT Uverse. The service is fine but I found I was not watching very many of the additional channels that were in the package that l had - U200. In fact it was only BBC America that I watched and even then it was just Top Gear. I looked at the channels on the next package down but there was nothing that I would ever look at, so I changed it to just the local channels only. I'll find Top Gear somewhere on the internet if I want to watch it. I also took out an $8/month streaming subscription to Netflix. You don't get every movie that way. If I find I want to watch something that is dvd only I can change my subscription to $10/month or get it from Redbox for $1.

With the DVR I never watch "live" TV anymore. I set it to record the shows I'm interested in and watch them when I have time.
Another happy U-Verse customer here. We had what seemed like daily connection problems with Comcast High Speed Internet, usually anywhere from 4-8 pm. However they kept sending the tech out in the morning. DUH! We had already switched back to AT&T DSL. We were having signal loss problems with the Comcast CATV and screen pauses. "The problem my be your TV" is what we were told. The tech came out and said it's a transmission problem on THEIR end but they keep sending techs out. As soon as U-Verse was available, we switched and haven't looked back. Superior picture and sound on the same TV. We now have the "basic" TV package. Most of the stuff I like is on TNT or FX and can watch those online.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I just call Comcast every six months and tell em I want to cancel. they give me 6 months at half off to stay. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Here in the UK, we have options for Sky (satelite) or Cable via Virgin media, both are bloody expensive. I just have an aerial on the roof which allows us to get 5 normal channels, two advert free, and three with adverts. Free View which is also received via the aerial give us a further 30 odd chanels of rubbish. Have a HDD recorder (v-cheap) and record films or programs for later viewing, get about 40 hours of programs on it, and most of the time never get to watch them.

If your live revolves around TV schedules, then you might like to review this. We don't watch too much TV, in place of that we read, listen to music, talk to each other, and spend time with our kids and grand kids. As a 51 year old fart, I like to play wii games with my 5 year old grandson, little shit beats me at the shoot em up games (faster reflexes), but we have a great laugh. Once in a while we will watch a DVD again, like toy story, or Nanny McFee, or anything a little one loves to watch while sitting on your lap on ral close to you on the couch.

We have toyed with the idea of getting cable or satelite, but for the money I could go to the cinema or rent a good file 3 or 4 times a month, and the cinema and a meal with my wife beats any amount of TV.

In my opinion, get just enought TV, Phone and Internet, to cover those time when your not out having fun with the people you love and or riding your bike.

Any how, just my opinion, and everyone has their on take on stuff, just giving you my thoughts. Hope you get the deal you want.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All, thanks for the responses.

I could send a message by going back to regular TV (rabit ears and such) and watch digital vs HD (currently have with DISH).

Should be spending less time in front of the TV than what I do; there are advantages to dropping sat/cable tv, better on the pocketbook plus you don't ignore your loved ones! :D

I may check out internet TV to what's up with that :rolleyes:

Cheers y'all! :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The richest guy on the forum, and he's still whining about a few cents. :rotf: :p

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
messenger13_ver2 said:
The richest guy on the forum, and he's still whining about a few cents. :rotf: :p

Joe, if I had your money......................................................................... :histerica

I am rich in many ways, but money ain't one of them :rotf:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Howdy, Folks
The biggest problem with the satellite providers is they mandate a 2 year contract and it's real expensive to get out if you have to. Ain't nothing perfect, but I do truly dislike to be locked into a contract.

Day-to-day Karl

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Howdy, Folks
The biggest problem with the satellite providers is they mandate a 2 year contract and it's real expensive to get out if you have to. Ain't nothing perfect, but I do truly dislike to be locked into a contract.

Day-to-day Karl
That is true, but when you have no other option----------------. I think I would have more options in Darfur. :rolleyes:

I do really like DirecTV. I just had to extend my contract another two years when I upgraded one of my standard DVR's to another HD DVR. I have liked them for nearly 4 years now, so not likely a problem.

The only internet option I had was a Verizon air card, blazingly fast at 1.5 Meg. :( Sure hope AT&T gets the U-Verse going here in the next 2-3 months. They are burying orange piping all over this area now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts