BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001...anybody chased down the wiring to find a convenient place to unhook the lights.personally I dont really care that my abs unit is bad....never had abs before and think I would rather decide how to apply my brakes...is there a handy wire to pull or disconnect on the abs unit itself to keep those annoying lights quit flashing...just wondered, I do have tape. BTW...I did search to no avail on the forums. thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
mdbright27 said:
2001...anybody chased down the wiring to find a convenient place to unhook the lights.personally I dont really care that my abs unit is bad....never had abs before and think I would rather decide how to apply my brakes...is there a handy wire to pull or disconnect on the abs unit itself to keep those annoying lights quit flashing...just wondered, I do have tape. BTW...I did search to no avail on the forums. thanks
You must have "Brembo" on your front calipers if you can still stop with an ABS failure. You can snuff the lights by pulling both the Green/Yellow wire on pin12 of the dash and the White/Black wire on pin 11. But I think you can just undo the big connector on the ABS unit and do the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks,and yes I do have Brembo on my front caliper. I thought it was common knowledge that on these models, the flashing lights dont affect breaking ability. The bike stops great.

·
Registered
683 Posts
In 2001 BMW transitioned to the linked system, subsequently ealier 01 bikes had the non linked system which would work without the abs system, later 01 bikes had the linked which would not allow braking without the abs.....I think this is common knowledge
Indeed, the blinking lights would be annoying, however, it can be caused by a few common issues that are easily rectified by adding brake fluid, adjusting a sensor, or a few other simple things, if you do a search on the forum, you may find an answer that can help you and be a far easier repair than digging into the dash wiring, and disabling a great safety feature....I always think about the day I came around a curve at about 55+ and a deer was in the middle of the road, without hesitation, I clamped down on the brakes HARD, and the bike was able to reduce my speed so quickly, the deer had time to get off the road before I hit it.....no broken traction, no sliding down on my side in the middle of the road, no trip to the ER for broken this or that, no BMW pieces parts strewn all over the place....just an amazing controlled fast slowdown that for sure saved my bacon! Think about it...maybe you never had a bike with abs, but I'm sure you don't want to rip off the windshield just because you never had a bike with an electric adjustable one........or tear off the reverse knob, or cut the wires for the heated seats, or tape over the courtesy lights on the dash or the trunk....Work with that abs a little to see if you can get it going...for your own sake!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
remove the shield and the upper dash, reach down behind the dash and pull the bulbs. I used a long pair of roach clips (sorry, cant remember the tech term.. lol) when I replaced the dash lights with LED's

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
shoswell said:
remove the shield and the upper dash, reach down behind the dash and pull the bulbs. I used a long pair of roach clips (sorry, cant remember the tech term.. lol) when I replaced the dash lights with LED's
..... or a piece of electricians tape. Good fix for that pesky digital clock on the old VCR.

·
Registered
795 Posts
mdbright27 said:
Did you troubleshoot using this procedure yet?

If you have not you should, it could be something very simple and then at least it would be working if you ever needed it. You should at least learn what the problem is before you just D/C the lights. Unfortunately mine is the dreaded #7 so no hope for me, next year when I have the thing torn down for annual maintenance I am going to pull the bulbs myself :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts